frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Cannibalism

Debate Information

I have been thinking about this for a while since I had to write a paper on the pros and cons of the effects of cannibalism and i believe that possibly it could help eliminate world hunger as well as over populations. 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• whoknowswhoknows 2 Pts   -   edited February 2019
    "cannibalism is a radical but realistic solution to the problem of overpopulation" -prince Philip 
  • OppolzerOppolzer 191 Pts   -  
    First of all, eating human meat is unsafe. As such, eating human meat can result in certain prion diseases - a prion is a type of protein which caused normal proteins in the brain to fold abnormally. These prion diseases are characterized as fatal neurodegenerative diseases. We don’t understand enough about these diseases, and we can’t do anything about them. In addition, we have to consider the risks pertaining to bacterial and viral infections the person being eaten contains, which we know can infect us if we eat it. We are also prone to viruses such as HIV and HPV, which can quickly spread through the meat.

Cannibalism is not the solution to overpopulation, but that’s beside the point. Overpopulation is not a problem, and exponential population growth will eventually subside. In fact, the United Nations forecast that the human population will reach around 9.8 billion in 2050 and 11.2 billion in 2100, and then slowly start to decline.

In all things, the issue of world hunger is not because of a lack of food. The world currently produces enough food to feed all of humanity at least twice. We have plenty of food - there is no shortage. The problem here is that numerous governments in countries lack the compassion or ability to implement food distribution systems into starving regions. People starve to death primarily because they are in poverty and can't afford it, not because of dearth food production.
    PlaffelvohfenMayCaesarPolaris95
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    There has been very little research (for obvious reasons) on positive and negative effects of human cannibalism. From the limited amount of research I have personally studied, it seems that, for the most part, cannibalism is safe and just as healthy as eating any other mammal - however, human brains may not be edible and can lead to very unusual illnesses, often resulting in death (there was a case study of some tribe in which cannibalism was common, and which was nearly wiped out as a result of those illnesses).
    I will defer to @Oppolzer on this one, who knows more about the scientific side of the issue than me.

Aside from this notion, cannibalism becoming common probably would not make much difference, economical or societal, in modern societies. Mammal meat for sale is very plentiful nowadays, and the addition of the meat from dead humans would be a very minor contribution. Of course, it might still be better than the current dominating tradition, in which the bodies of dead humans are typically either cremated, or burrowed - with the meat going to waste.

All of this assumes that you are talking about cannibalising on humans that have already died. Cannibalising on living humans would not work out for many different reasons, and it would violate their most fundamental human rights.
    Zombieguy1987OppolzerPolaris95
  • I’m pretty sure that there a lot of parts of the humans that arent edible even when cooked
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • DrummerDudeDrummerDude 18 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar Same thing occurs with animals. You can't eat the bone.