frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Should an illegal immigrant have a say in the process of deportation?

Debate Information

Give me your thoughts on when an illegal immigrant should be deported, and why or why not they should have a say in deportation.
  1. Live Poll

Should they have a say if they have clearly committed a crime?

19 votes
    1. Yes
      15.79%
    2. No
      63.16%
    3. Depends on the crime
      21.05%
    4. Only if others were involved
        0.00%
  2. Live Poll

Should they have a say if the crime that they committed is arguable?

19 votes
    1. Yes
      36.84%
    2. No
      42.11%
    3. Depends on the crime
      21.05%
    4. Only if there are others involved
        0.00%
  3. Live Poll

Should all illegal immigrants be deported?

19 votes
    1. Yes
      52.63%
    2. No
      47.37%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    Well, if the immigrant has been proven to be staying on the US territory illegally, then they have already committed an offence that makes them legally deportable. Of course they should have the right to defend themselves, or to hire a lawyer to represent them - but in case the evidence is clear, there is not much they can do, short of bribing the judge. And if they have the funds necessary to bribe a judge in the US, then why they came to the US territory illegally, instead of getting a green card through the $500,000 business investment, is an open question.

Regarding an immigrant committing a crime not related to their status here, I am not very familiar with the process in such case. Again, if the immigrant is illegal, then they can be deported simply due to their status; the fact of committing a crime does not change much. 

But if, say, the court somehow misses the fact that they are staying on the US territory illegally, yet still recognises them as an immigrant, then, if I am correct, they can be put in jail for the period decided by the court, after which, again, deportation is likely to follow, although it does not have to. I believe the judge has a lot of room in choosing the sentence here, and I have heard of many different cases. Someone tried to bribe a police officer at a traffic stop and was sentenced for 6 months in the "jail for immigrants", deported afterwards. Someone else stole something from a fashion shop and got away with a small fine.

I do not think much change compared to the current system is needed. Although the personal bias of judges could be reduced some. The fact of the matter is, someone's immigration status often factors in the verdict and the sentence decided by the court - while ideally, only the crime itself should be a factor, with the immigration status being completely irrelevant to the case.
    PlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987DrummerDudeAlofRI
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    Yes. Immigrants have the right to flee persecution.
  • They broke a law and are therefore foreign criminals. The US has the right to send them back to wherever the hell they came from
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    I would keep some. I am against illegal immigration, but for those that are criminals, they should be deported, as for others, they should find a way to LEGALLY be citizens, or get deported. 
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    Absolutely not , they’re illegal ship them them out 
  • HumbugHumbug 13 Pts   -  
    If unless for the purpose of genuine asylum seeking, an illegal should have nothing to ever say accept for goodbye...
  • all4acttall4actt 305 Pts   -  
    Illegal immigrants should be depoted if they don't meet the asylum requirements.

• AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    If someone is in this country, legally or illegally, they have the right to speak their mind or to defend themselves. Any humanitarian I think would hope they had that right anywhere in the world. Tragically, they don't in most of the authoritarian countries.
    A few years ago, someone said: "I believe in the idea of amnesty for those who have put down roots and lived here, even though, some time back, they may have entered illegally." I disagreed with this man often, but here I agree. The man's name was Ronald Reagan. My, how the GOP leadership has changed. Is authoritarianism raising its ugly head in the United States of America. (I won't use a "?" here:(  )
    CYDdhartaPlaffelvohfen
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    When did Denmark, Japan, Austria, Switzerland, become authoritarian countries? 

A few years ago, 33 to be exact, when Reagan said those words, he was promised a border fence so that the illegal alien problem could be contained.  The Dems and the GOPe made sure we never got that fence and that illegal aliens would continue to flow across our border unabated to this day.  Anyone in this country has a right to say whatever they want, but their words should have no impact on their immigration status.  If there is some question as to their immigration status, they have the right have any problems resolved in court.  If it's clear that they entered the US illegally, they should be deported.
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    @George_Horse well technically they are all criminals if they are here illegally. There is a difference though between an illegal immigrant and someone seeking asylum. But I agree I would keep some of them. A middle ground would be us being lenient enough on them for economic advantages, but also crack down hard enough that they essentially only go to their house and their job and are too afraid of deportation to do much else.
  • DBTERDBTER 3 Pts   -  
    Ok so I want to especially talk about the last question:
    Should all illegal immigrants be deported?
    I answered no, even though I am all support into the protection of a border.
    The reason I answered that is because of the "status" of that person. I understand that that person might not be documented but in some cases, they might have extreme reasons to do so. Such as a refugee status. I know that you can apply for one BUT sometimes that time for it to be accepted can take multiple months that's why that in this particular situation I don't think they should be deported. Of courses, consequences can always be given, but the "deported" part is too far. It's a live or die game.