should students be able to play on their phones at lunch - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is a globally leading online debate platform that is transforming the online debating experience. DebateIsland enables anyone to civilly debate online, casually or formally, with five fun debating formats: Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas. With DebateIsland's beautiful, mobile-friendly, and easy-to-use, online debate website, users can debate politics, debate science, debate technology, debate news, and just about anything else in a large community of debaters. Debate online for free while improving your debating skills with the help of Artifical Intelligence on DebateIsland.

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Using DebateIsland's beautiful, mobile-friendly, and easy-to-use online debate website, you can debate politics, debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything in a large community of debaters. Debate online for free using DebateIsland, a globally leading online debate website that is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.

should students be able to play on their phones at lunch

Debate Information

I am a student and I watch a lot of my friends playing on their phones or iPads at lunch. should this be allowed or not??

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• woahlolwoahlol 26 Pts   -  
    I think no. You might be thinking: "Oh! A parent here!", but no, I am a student with an iPhone of my own. I use my phone a lot, but when it's time to sit down and eat - I put it away. You see, most students (Because they're children) will not be able to stop texting or playing their game. They will forget about their food completely and waste it, then complain about being hungry. Kids shouldn't have their phones or iPads out at lunch - it's a distraction to the whole point of eating. 
    Polaris95Zombieguy1987RS_masterHunter460qwerrty노형윤Josh_DrakeThor
  • Whatever helish district you hail from has no law. In my district, you cant even have your phone in your pocket or it gets taken away and only a parent can come pick it up.
    Zombieguy1987
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • DylanDylan 61 Pts   -  
    I see no harm in being on your phone during lunch if you want to, I never had any problems eating whilst being on my phone. If you don't want to use your phone during lunch then that's fine but you shouldn't take that away from others if they want to, it does no harm to anyone and it's not like they're in class and have to focus.  
    Polaris95Zombieguy1987Hunter460Josh_Drake
  • Polaris95Polaris95 138 Pts   -  
    I think it's better not to play on your phone during the break, or whatever, but if someone wants to, why not? I think it distracts from socializing with your classmates and can be annoying for someone who hasn't brought their phone that day (or doesn't have one), but that doesn't mean students should be outright banned from using them that way.
    Zombieguy1987
  • RS_masterRS_master 384 Pts   -  
    I am a student and I watch a lot of my friends playing on their phones or iPads at lunch. should this be allowed or not??
    I am a student but believe we should not because it is bad for your mental healh and psycology. At school you can get told off and get into big trouble using phones. You should only use it to contact your parents in safety updates. Thats what I do
    Adding furthermore playing on your phone is bad for your mental health and if you play too much you could start killing other people.
    an example of this would be:
    https://listverse.com/2017/10/28/top-10-violent-crimes-tied-to-video-games/
    If you play more than 3 hours a day you can start to have bad memory, dry eyes or start getting crazy and finally have mental health disorders. The only acception for this is educational video games.
    RichardCarter2021Josh_Drake
  • RS_master said:
    Adding furthermore playing on your phone is bad for your mental health and if you play too much you could start killing other people.
    an example of this would be:
    https://listverse.com/2017/10/28/top-10-violent-crimes-tied-to-video-games/
    If you play more than 3 hours a day you can start to have bad memory, dry eyes or start getting crazy and finally have mental health disorders. The only acception for this is educational video games.
    You're continuing to use evidence from articles about crimes from video games that doesn't represent all of video game players, performing the hasty generalization fallacy. "Start getting crazy and finally having mental health disorders"? What kind of evidence would even support that? And don't give me one article about one crime from one kid about one video game. Give me an official study. Give me a reliable study.
    Hunter460RS_master김만두
  • 대왕광개토대왕광개토 231 Pts   -   edited September 2019
    In my school, using a phone was strictly not allowed. Not surprisingly, nobody cared about the rule, and almost everyone took out their phones and enjoyed spending their time on instagram, facebook, and snapchat. One could easily break the rule and get away with it by not being caught using the phone by supervisors. In my opinion, imposing strict rules on the usage of phone is not that effective.
    https://georgiastatesignal.com/video-games-are-bad-for-you/

Here is an article @RichardCarter2021. You have to agree that 3 hours of video games are bad for you. Sometimes people get epilepse when going too long on games.
    김만두
  • Here in the UK in accordance with a revision to safeguarding law and policies phones in schools should not be seen or heard. Students in the last two years of secondary school are allowed phones but only in designated privileged areas and risk confiscation being seen anywhere else, however.

The reason for the ban of phones in accordance with safeguarding law is due to the fact that because of the advancement of technology it is all too easy to use phones for malicious purposes. "Examples of misuse are to include the taking and distribution of indecent images, exploitation and bullying." http://schools.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/sites/schools/files/folders/folders/documents/safeguarding/MobilePhonePolicy.pdf

Furthermore, these safeguarding policies also help to safeguard not only students but members of staff whereby an unlikely but possible event may lead to a member of staff being held under scrutiny.

Personally, I have to admit that this is a strong argument and one that I am in favour of.

"Tip: Once you aknowledge that you're wrong about somthing and can admit it you're a step closer to actually being right!"  - Bo Bennett, Logically Fallacious: The ultimate collection of over 300 logical fallacies
  • Why not physical games? I don't think we should allow them to play at phones in lunch because all the time they sit and use their mind and in games, again mental activity would only involve. That's not good. 
  • smoothiesmoothie 380 Pts   -  
    punish the kids while adults play on their phones at work? they are gonna do it anyway no matter what; should be the student's choice
    why so serious?
  • Hunter460Hunter460 2 Pts   -  
    Here in the UK in accordance with a revision to safeguarding law and policies phones in schools should not be seen or heard. Students in the last two years of secondary school are allowed phones but only in designated privileged areas and risk confiscation being seen anywhere else, however.

The reason for the ban of phones in accordance with safeguarding law is due to the fact that because of the advancement of technology it is all too easy to use phones for malicious purposes. "Examples of misuse are to include the taking and distribution of indecent images, exploitation and bullying." http://schools.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/sites/schools/files/folders/folders/documents/safeguarding/MobilePhonePolicy.pdf

Furthermore, these safeguarding policies also help to safeguard not only students but members of staff whereby an unlikely but possible event may lead to a member of staff being held under scrutiny.

Personally, I have to admit that this is a strong argument and one that I am in favour of.

These malicious purposes don't stop because phones aren't used at lunch, though. Bullying, indecent images, and other issues still happen outside of school and under the radar of administrators. If using phones at school has any effect on the policy, it probably lessens the damage by providing a deterrent at school. It also opens an easier door for punishment to correct these issues.
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 960 Pts   -   edited November 17
    In my school, using a phone was strictly not allowed. Not surprisingly, nobody cared about the rule, and almost everyone took out their phones and enjoyed spending their time on instagram, facebook, and snapchat. One could easily break the rule and get away with it by not being caught using the phone by supervisors. In my opinion, imposing strict rules on the usage of phone is not that effective.
    The teachers can see using a WiFi analyser who is using their phone, so you cannot hide your phone and hope that no one notices.
  • Cringe_TrainCringe_Train 74 Pts   -  
    @AndriannaSkantzou-ThomasStreetMS(1654)

yeah, if it's not hurting anyone.
    if that's how they choose to spend their lunch it's fine.
  • 김창영김창영 4 Pts   -   edited November 16
    I think students have their phone because phone is very useful also phone can don't make student boring 
    and I buy my phone so this is my property but school take our phone I don't understand that
    안치현김정빈김경환까미
  • 김재환김재환 5 Pts   -  
    If students don't use smartphones only in class, I don't think it's a problem. but in class used phone is Severe penalties
    김정빈이종현o0o까미
  • 김재훈김재훈 0 Pts   -  
    I have to allow you to give me a phone for lunch time at school because I think that I have to get rid of my school's stress for a while.
  • Starlord616Starlord616 209 Pts   -  
    Whatever helish district you hail from has no law. In my district, you cant even have your phone in your pocket or it gets taken away and only a parent can come pick it up.
    yes your district defiantly isn't the one that sounds dystopian
  • 김민영김민영 5 Pts   -   edited November 16
    이종현권상훈
  • 이종현이종현 5 Pts   -   edited November 16
    I agree because lunchtime is a break and I think it's enough for us to enjoy freedom.
    박성민김만두안현서노형윤권상훈김재환
  • 박성민박성민 3 Pts   -   edited November 17

other opinion is using cellphone in school.

Because students are good at using cellphone.

also I think students should be given some freedom.

이종현까미
  • 엄기범엄기범 3 Pts   -  
    I agree to use my cell phone at lunchtime. Because lunch time is break time, I have the right to use my cell phone.
    노형윤이종현
  • 김민영김민영 5 Pts   -   edited November 17
    i think smartphone is very efficient object because smartphone help many ways for example curching some things and listening music and find mathematical formula. therefore smartphone can do a lot activities at lunchtime with a lot of usability but person of smartphone user need some point of attention. It is don't do use smartphone in school hour and be careful lost smartphone in school. 
    안현서이종현
  • 노형윤노형윤 8 Pts   -   edited November 16
    I agree
    엄기범이종현
  • ThorThor 57 Pts   -  
    @AndriannaSkantzou-ThomasStreetMS(1654)

No, students should not be allowed to play with their smartphones during their lunch break because simply lunch break is meant for eating not relaxing or doing any other thing.

Peace
    김경환
  • 박우솔박우솔 2 Pts   -   edited November 23
    김성익
  • 오기석오기석 12 Pts   -   edited November 17
    I don't think we should use cell phones.
    because if i have a cell phone, even if 
    I don't use it in class.
    I can't concentrate on the class because
    I keep thinking about it.
    If you don't concentrate you don't listen to the class properly and if you do,
    your grades will drop which will be fatal to the student.
    Therefore I think students should not use cell phones.
    Thank you for reading it.
    이종현
  • 이하륜이하륜 2 Pts   -   edited November 17
    I don't agree with this opinion
    There are three reason for this
    Frist reason: If we using smart phone, they are not concentrate studying hard.
    Second reason: Electro wave released by smart phone are not good for us .
    Last reason: If we using smart phones for lunch time, we can lost this smart phone. 
    For this reason, we should not use smart phones for lunch time.
  • sukjunsukjun 12 Pts   -  
    I think you should return your smartphone at lunchtime because it won't be a problem if you just use it and take it back.
  • kimjunseopkimjunseop 2 Pts   -   edited November 17
    At the lunch time, we can enjoy our leisure activities. However, if we use smart phone at lunch time, we can’t enjoy our lunch time for leisure activities. So I think that it’s not right to use smart phone at lunch time. And if we use smart phone, it will have a effect on the next time class. and it occurs that students don’t have a meal because of using smart phone throughout lunch time. Also, if we use smart phone for a lot of time, it will have an effect on mental health, dry eyes, and feel dizzy. Most important thing is the fact that it can be addicted smart phone additction by using smart phone throughout lunch time.
    As a result, I oppose to use smart phone during lunch time.
  • 오상진오상진 12 Pts   -  
    I don't agree use phone at lunchtime.  Because school is only study. but If you using phone at lunchtime,  study concentration very down. and If you using phone at lunchtime, decrease communication with friend. so you vigour down.
  • 김만두김만두 2 Pts   -  
    Student want play smartphone. Because corona 19 be alive. So students can’t play soccer, basketball and speaking.
  • 김성익김성익 12 Pts   -   edited November 21
    I don't think use cell phone during lunchtime.
    Because if you use your cell phone during lunchtime, Students not go to outside and use your cell phone in class.
    Teachers are difficult manage students cell phone.
    And lunchtime is talk to my friend and eat.
    Use cell phone then friends don't conversation.
    If you lunchtime use cell phone, steal your cell phone, lose your cell phone.
    You are watch cell phone at home, If you in school look cell phone then your eyes degrade.
    lunchtime look your cell phone then next time isn't focus your class.
    These days, lunchtime look your cell phone then turtle neck and waist will get worse.
  • 권상훈권상훈 2 Pts   -  
    I agree to give me my smartphone at lunchtime. Because lunchtime is free time and break time. Anyway, I agree to give to me my smartphone at lunchtime.
  • 홍정민홍정민 12 Pts   -   edited November 17
    I think yes 
    First lunchtime is not calsstime.
    I think lunchtime is rest, exercise or study after lunch Therefore, if the use of phones do not harm others people, phones use should not prevented.
    Nonetheless, if phones use prevent, that is infringement of property or liberty
    Second using phones during lunchtime find questions while studying. Also you find information such mathformulas 
    Third useing phones is helpful in career activities.
    You can search for your desired university by phone.
    You can find what you want to do
    Therefore I agree should students be able to play on their phones at lunch
  • 백인서백인서 12 Pts   -   edited November 29
    I don't agree that using smart phone without limitation at school but I approve of using it only at lunch time.
    Rather, It could be good to learning ability by students. Because the part that they didn't understand during school hours can search during that time.
    And they can listen to a internet lecture with their smart phone.
    Because of these reasons, I think that they can spend time effectively through smart phone.
    Also, Using a smart phone can expand our friendship. Because we can play multi game with friends during lunch time.
    By playing multi game, The exchange with friends will increase.  This can be an opportunity for friends who don't adapt to the school life. 
    However, This may result in not having lunch. So, I think we should give smart phones only to students who ate lunch.
    In this way, we can overcome the problem of using smart phone. 

• 김지수김지수 12 Pts   -  
    I think it is uncessary to use a cell phone during lunchtime. Because frist students use cell phone at lunchtime they keep thinking about cell phone the next class. The second,students have poor thinking and memory. In other words because ability to calculate,remember and think is poor. Thirdly, using a cell phone during lunch time allows students share inappropriate data. Fourth, students have to eat lunch at lunch time however if students using a cell phone which automatically increase the time needed to eat. For these reason i think unnecessary to use a cell phone during lunch time.
  • 신짱꿍신짱꿍 2 Pts   -   edited November 17
    Im agree.because in the old days, cell phones were not commercialized, so i think that the cell phones were collected in any reason,but now the world is changing and i think the scholl should be changed. In these days there comes a moment that we watch internet lectures,searching English words and making important contects with
    their phone. So i think that using cell phone in lemited at the school is more meaningful to use cell phone. So you look my opinion and think about it. My opinion may be wrong. I think the world will change when we challenge something new.
  • leelee 2 Pts   -   edited November 17
    I think it must not be allowed to use smartphone at school duirng lunch. Some people said “We have a right to use a smartphone anytime” or “By using smartphone, we can get a convenience like searching information related to class, reading a E-book.. etc” I agree to their thoughts partly, but I think using a smartphone at lunch has even more flaws. For example, if students use smartphone to watch a Youtube or play video games, students could be a serious addict of internet or smartphone. In addition, school should be the place where students interact and cooperate with each other. However, if students use a smartphone at lunch, communication between students will be blocked. It’s because students generally have more interest in using smartphone -listening music, playing game- than playing with friends. For these reasons,  I think using a smartphone causes many negative effects on students.
  • 람태현람태현 2 Pts   -  
    I often use my smart phone. 
    Some people said using smart phone at school is not good.
    However, I think we should allow to use smart phone at school lunch time.
    First, Students can be tired by continuous class.
    I think students can fatigue recovery by using smart phone this time.
    And it can be helped to find English word.
    also, i think we can have much more positive mind to come to school
    Because we can share interesting information with my friends during lunch time.
    Therefore i agree to use smart phone during school lunch time.
  • 김하준김하준 12 Pts   -  
    We should not use the phone at lunchtime. First reason is they can use the phone besides lunchtime. Then, they cannot concentrate their class. And they have risk of loss their phones. Then it occurs the huge monetary damage for them. And every students will use the phone, so the school atmosphere gonna down. That's a big problem. However, Someone maybe think that students can use the phone in school at lunchtime. I respect their argument. Anyway my conclusion is student should not use their phone at lunchtime.
  • GeorgeHudsonGeorgeHudson 19 Pts   -  
    I think students should be allowed to play on their phones during lunchtime. In secondary schools, the only leisure time that is available for students is lunch time. Students should be free on how they should spend their time, as long as they are being respectful to others and the school. Other than school, the only reasonable time I can see students using their phone is during their limited free time in class or at home or before going to bed, which is unhealthy. I can see the issues with using phones as there will be issues with socializing, but then again, no one is forced to engage in conversations.
  • 박상빈박상빈 12 Pts   -   edited November 19
    I'm in favor of using a cell phone during lunchtime. If children use their phones according to the appropriate school rules, they can improve their academic performance by relieving their stress.
  • 바다바다 2 Pts   -  
    • I don't think I need to use my  phone during lunch break or break time.

It's not a problem to interrupt the class with your phone in class, but to use your phone in school and during lunch time.

The anxiety that high school students can control their desires and have problems with their studies is not a problem because students who are passionate about their studies do not use their phones to the extent that they can interfere with their studies for their grades.

• 조승민조승민 12 Pts   -  

My school give out to the smart phone but most of friends don’t pay for smart phone and give out used smart phone so I think it’s better not pay give out the smart phone because many student don’t pay for smart phone and pay used phone so teacher can’t know who didn’t pay out smart phone and if we don’t pay out smart phone we can contact very easily so if we are badly hurt we can contact with teacher and take a photo with friends so we can make a memory if it’s march we can take a photo with cherry blossom tree with my friends so I agree don’t give out smart phone

• 장동인장동인 2 Pts   -   edited November 19
    I think student should not use the phone at lunchtime. Because The learning atmosphere may be ruined. And students may be unable to concentrate on the next hour due to the use of cellphones during lunch.Also, in relations with friends,the use of mobile phones may interfere with the use of mobile phones,and if you use mobile phones during lunch breaks ,there are may be problems wuth your health because there are frineds who play games during those hours, so I thonl student should not use the phone at lunchtime.
  • 오도환오도환 2 Pts   -  
      I think it's great idea. because, if allow useing the smartphone at the lunch student can serch they don't know about in the class and student relieve stress with their smartphone.
  • 까미까미 2 Pts   -   edited November 24

I agree with using cell phone in school. Our school bans student from using cell phone. But most students used cell phones. But there was no problem. Rather, thanks to my friends who have cell phones, because it was easy to contact other friends. If all students can use their cell phones in school, it will be easier for us to contact other students. It help us when we need to friend. It will also be more comfortable for teachers to find students. If there is an accident at school, we can report it faster. And if violence occurs in schools, we can easily create evidence and report it. Therefore, I think school should allow us to use cell phone.

• 김재환김재환 5 Pts   -  
    If students don't use smartphones only in class, I don't think it's a problem. but in class used phone is Severe penalties.
     In addition, if use the phone in lunchtime 
     Will be a good part too.
    For example, When class to find the unknown part also during recess freinds
    playing game and listen to the music.
     Then freindly Friendship at freinds.
     So I'm in favor of using cell phones.