frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Internet privacy matters. Change My Mind

Debate Information

The government should not have the access to our data. 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6021 Pts   -  
    Technically, every time any government employee uses the Internet, they retrieve some private data. Hence the only way to satisfy the condition you want is to cut off all access of the government to the Internet, which seems pretty counter-productive.

Did you mean instead that the government should not be able to force private ISPs to share your data with it without your consent? If so, then I agree.
    piloteer
  • RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    SipBid said:
    The government should not have the access to our data. 
    I agree because you shouldn`t get stalked online as the government may know all your details online. maybe not even the government but some random evil person.
  • RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    Do you want the government to not access the internet? What would they do if they would want to lookup something?
    MayCaesar said:
    Technically, every time any government employee uses the Internet, they retrieve some private data. Hence the only way to satisfy the condition you want is to cut off all access of the government to the Internet, which seems pretty counter-productive.

Did you mean instead that the government should not be able to force private ISPs to share your data with it without your consent? If so, then I agree.

• WinstonCWinstonC 235 Pts   -  
    @SipBid It's often said that knowledge is power, and on some level most people know that this is true. So just give all the information about you away to big corporations and governments because they have never been caught abusing power.
  • 대왕광개토대왕광개토 235 Pts   -  
    Well, I will assume that our government has access to almost all media platforms to avoid any confusion. Under my assumption, it is impossible to prevent the government from gaining an access to our data unless we give up all electronic devices. The reason for my previous sentence is that whenever you create accounts for platforms such as  Google, Gmail, Amazon, Facebook, and etc, you certainly have to provide the government with at least some part of your personal data such as phone number and location. I think that giving our information to our government can be considered as a part of the social contract between the government and it's citizens where both parties trust each other. But honestly I don't think that trust exists between the government and it's citizens because the former usually hides many things that should be known to everyone( for example, human experimentation). In conclusion, I would like to say that there should be a limit to the amount of data the government can access.