frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Are Dogs Be Afraid of the Dark?

Debate Information

Greetings!

I know kids are easily scared off in the dark but looking to understand what signs tell us that dogs are be scared of the dark. I just read this article that says https://ourfitpets.com/behavior/should-you-leave-your-dog-in-the-dark/ dogs could be afraid of the dark and prefer to use night bulbs or light sensors in this regard. However, wet blankets or other health-related issues could also become the reason of their barking at night.

How you would differentiate that dog is hiding in the cover or barking in the dark because he is afraid? Looking to know interesting facts from your side. Pet owners are particularly welcomed to share their views with us.  

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    @BonitaVanhooser small house dogs such as the one in the picture can develop all kinds of mental issues depending upon the conditions and situation they find their selves in. Most animals rely on behavior cause and affect for conditioning. For instance, a dog who is punished or yelled at in a low light or dark room will equate the darkness with the punishment that they received; hence, making the animal wary of a dark area and repeated yelling or punishment will condition the dog to be afraid of the dark.  Of course, it could be caused by being outside in the dark and being suddenly attacked by something. It is not the dark as much as what happens in the dark. It can work the other way as well; if you put a dog into a dark area and constantly give the animal rewards and love, he will eventually relate the dark as a safe place.
    BonitaVanhooser
  • BonitaVanhooserBonitaVanhooser 143 Pts   -  
    maxx said:
    @BonitaVanhooser small house dogs such as the one in the picture can develop all kinds of mental issues depending upon the conditions and situation they find their selves in. Most animals rely on behavior cause and affect for conditioning. For instance, a dog who is punished or yelled at in a low light or dark room will equate the darkness with the punishment that they received; hence, making the animal wary of a dark area and repeated yelling or punishment will condition the dog to be afraid of the dark.  Of course, it could be caused by being outside in the dark and being suddenly attacked by something. It is not the dark as much as what happens in the dark. It can work the other way as well; if you put a dog into a dark area and constantly give the animal rewards and love, he will eventually relate the dark as a safe place.

You raised valid points. Even, I can relate many things with bad incidents. Like whenever someone comes to pick me from school before the school hours, I thought maybe something bad happened. Because the first time, it happened on the death of a grandfather. In the same token, pets also associated such things. Very valid point. I agree. 

On the other hand, I found pet owners also make the pets very afraid because of their very strict behaviours. 
    Rosawalton