frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is the emotion "Guilt" inherited or learned/mechanical?

Debate Information

While I believe most people are born with the capacity for being empathetic I will contend that the emotion Guilt is a learned behavior that came about via the process of domestication using a system of reward and punishment. 

Furthermore, I think many of us have learned how this feeling of guilt can be exploited to get people to do what you want because they would feel guilty otherwise. In this particular sense, it is mechanical.

The good news, however, is that once we know this we can accept and then transcend it.

What are your thoughts?
Plaffelvohfen

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• billbatardbillbatard 133 Pts   -  
    part of the evolutionary empthy gene   , proves you have a concience@ZeusAres42
    The passion for destruction is also a creative passion. Mikhail Bakunin

• billbatardbillbatard 133 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42 sociopaths and psycopaths lack it and that makes them dangerous
    The passion for destruction is also a creative passion. Mikhail Bakunin

• maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -   edited June 2019
    @ZeusAres42 first I think you may mean remorse rather than guilt; there is a difference. regardless. both come about by either the threat or actual punishment, but mainly by shame and humiliation. I think that shame is learned from being laughed at as a child by other children and being laughed at makes one feel inadequate. in children this feeling of being laughed at due to the shame is in my opinion not something we learned; it seems to show up as early as age 3-4. so perhaps guilt and remorse may be learned, but they stem from an instinctive reaction.
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42

Guilt is indeed a learned emotion and is closely related to shame, love is also a learned emotion... As opposed to primary emotions which do not require any kind of knowledge like happiness, sadness, anger, and fear...
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "