frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Are there any scientific laws in social sciences?

Debate Information

As most of us know there are scientific laws of other sciences such as physics but are there any scientific laws in social sciences? The social sciences would include psychology, sociology,  political science, etc.

What do you think about this?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
44%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    I can't think of any, I suppose that is argumentative. However there ARE "social" laws. They're called "ethics".
  • ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 Emerald Premium Member 2673 Pts   -   edited June 2019

To my knowledge, there have been debates as to whether there does actually exist any genuine laws outside of physics.
    AlofRI

• WinstonCWinstonC 235 Pts   -  
    Strangely enough, the study of hard sciences is in a way less complex than social sciences (bear with me). This is because in the process of experimentation we can't completely control all variables. Unlike in hard scientific experiments, in social science experiments we have to consider human rights and ethics. This means we can't, for example, control someone's life entirely in order to eliminate all potential confounding variables. As a result, we have to be more cautious about drawing conclusions from research because, while every effort is made to remove them, extraneous variables are always present.

Now, this means that there may be "scientific laws" in social sciences but we simply are unable to figure out what they are. As it stands, there are merely empirically supported suggestions that appear to hold true across multiple experiments.
    ZeusAres42Plaffelvohfen
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42 You said it yourself …. DEBATES.    A debate has two (or more) sides, and even after the debate one can keep his/her opinion.