frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

When abortion is ok and when it is not ok

Debate Information

As I've stated before on this issue there are a number of ethical dilemmas and individual circumstances that it is not as simple as declaring that one is "pro-life" or "pro-choice." A proper assessment needs to be made of individual circumstances before any declaration of legislation can proceed.

With all this being said, however, I do have views of when I think abortion is and isn't ok which I will outline here.
  1. Prevention is better than cure.
  2. Medical conditions.
  3. Quantitive Morality.
  4. The Father.
Prevention is better than cure

Within most countries of the western world, we have the privilege of education. Within this education system, we are taught about safe intercourse practices and measures to take to avoid pregnancy in the first place. Now, if you are someone that never bothered to take advantage of the education you were given, decided to go about engaging in intercourse unsafely, became pregnant and then decided that you don't want a baby and went to have an abortion just because you knew an abortion clinic was there at your convenience then this is irresponsible. What's more, is that the longer you wait to abort the more irresponsible you are and with no justification for your position. Knowing that you could have prevented pregnancy in the first place but decided to go about and behave in an irresponsible way anyway gives you no reasonable or moral justification for you wanting to abort.

On the other hand, if you are someone that is responsible, took precautions, etc but something went wrong then an abortion under these circumstances is acceptable providing it is done as soon as possible.

Medical conditions

In this case where is medically necessary to abort then it is justified and acceptable. It's sad, unfortunate but if there really is no other alternative then this is the way it has to be; the lesser of two evils if you will.

Quantitive Morality

This bit is about the right time to abort. The way I see it is that the longer one waits to abort the more immoral it is. By contrast, the sooner the decision is made and when it is done the more morally justified it is.

The Father

From my own experience, one of the things I hardly ever see get mentioned in the abortion debate is the rights of the father. The dilemma here lies when a mother decides to have an abortion but the father wants a child. The only thing I can suggest here is that if the couple is already at this point then to try and seek some kind of psychological help as this is way out of my depth. That being said, however, I would argue that it would be more prudent for a couple to make sure that there absolutely sure that they want a child in the first place.

ChristinaMackenzie

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    I hold the opinion that abortion is always ok/permissible simply because it must, from a logical standpoint, yes I dare go there... ;) 

But that said, the later an abortion is performed, the more difficult and, yes questionable, it gets... And there are plenty of good arguments in favor of early abortion, the earlier the better in my opinion... 

Prevention of problems is always the best course of action... Prevention begins with education, education on safe and unsafe practices specifically but education at large. Numbers show that the higher the education, the lower the abortion rate... 

Medical conditions goes without saying...

Quantitative Morality... Since morality is subjective, I would use the Quantitative Legality terminology, for about the same end result I think... Meaning that the later a pregnancy gets, the higher a society/government's interest in a potential citizen is legitimate and actions may become warranted to save this child... This can be contentious but there are solutions, if one is actually consistent and consequent with the logic of having a government intervention in the matter... The advances in the field of neo-natality will have great influences on this matter in the next few decades I think...  Quantitative legality would also mean that since the earliest the abortion the better, then it should be a government's duty to facilitate those early abortion, every law and administrative hurdles that result in any unnecessary delay for an abortion should be addressed and modified to speed the process.

The Father... As sad as it may sound, prior to birth the father has no say in this... The woman is the one whose rights are being denied by the fetus, not the father's... His body is not being used against his will, hers is... And for the same reason that it is immoral to force a woman to consent to an unwanted pregnancy, it is also immoral to force a man to one, in the sense that in the case of an unwanted pregnancy to which the father did not consent, but to which the woman does consent, then the responsibility for this child is solely hers, a man should also be able to have a "legal abortion of his parental rights/duty/responsibility", it's a 2 way street... I understand that this may rattle some people but eh, I'm consistent... ;) 
    ChristinaMackenzieDee
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • Prevention of problems is always the best course of action... Prevention begins with education, education on safe and unsafe practices specifically but education at large. Numbers show that the higher the education, the lower the abortion rate... 

Don't you mean the higher the education rate the lower the documented pregnancy abortion rate. Private medical record reporting, compared to mandatory reporting of public medical records. this is substantially biased as pregnancy abortion is a public self-incrimination legislated as a united state. 

Quantitative Morality... Since morality is subjective, I would use the Quantitative Legality terminology, for about the same end result I think... Unwed woman, Sexual intercourse, and basic principle

PlaffelvohfenDee
  • Why I believe people shouldn’t be allowed to abort. I don't actually agree with this because I think that abortion should be aloud and that it is ok to abort, in most cases. I just needed to write this for school and I thought that there were some valid points in this argument.

I believe there are no specific cases where abortion should be considered right. So, first of all, While in some cases it may be needed in order to save the mother, The percentage of abortions performed due to rape or health problems only reaches about 2% of abortions nationwide. In most cases, It is due to the mother not using protection or not wanting to be a mother. This is where the "it's my body" argument comes into play. The thing is it's not. By the time most testing can reveal a pregnancy the baby is already exhibiting signs of life, Such as a heartbeat. It is now the child's body. To kill anything that is living with previous thought is murder

Although parenthood is a life long commitment just imagine if your parents had an abortion. There are many people who are against hurting or abusing their children but are totally okay with abortion. Aborting a baby really isn't much different from hurting your kids. Everyone keeps talking about THIER body and THIER rights but no one talks about the baby and the fact that the baby has a heart just like the rest of us. And if you really want to talk about your rights fine, let's talk about them.

Abortion isn't a right. There is no right explicitly given in the Constitution of the United States of America that protects the "right" for women to abort unborn babies. Therefore, It is for the States to decide for themselves, Individually and separately, whether or not abortion should be legal. If women are allowed to abort unborn babies, Than why not born children as well? If the opposition uses the excuse, "Women have the right not to be constrained by pregnancy and newly born babies," then wouldn't it be the same for women to kill their current children too?

This leads to my next point, murder. It is said that it should be okay if it is in the case of incest or rape. However, A babies blood type and DNA differs from the mother's, So how is incest a valid argument, your still killing a baby with different DNA to yours? Also, rape, if you are raped or assaulted that person can go to jail, but why are you punishing the baby, what did they do wrong. Just because you were hurt why are you hurting someone else? Someone who is now part of you. There is always adoption. Yes, The foster care system isn't great, And people can abuse their adopted kids, But we can, And we have, Risen above that. How is murder justifiable if POTENTIALLY, The baby could be hurt in the future? Let's say a baby has some kind of physical or mental challenge. Killing the baby because of this? And all in all, It's just upsetting, To imagine the potential of the baby being destroyed. Let's get basic here, who knows who that baby could've become. That baby could've done something great for the world, invented something amazing. Abortion is the death of not only a baby but what it could've become. That is why I believe abortion should not be legal.

AnkozzzPlaffelvohfenDee
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @ChristinaMackenzie

You say ......I believe there are no specific cases where abortion should be considered right. So, first of all, While in some cases it may be needed in order to save the mother, The percentage of abortions performed due to rape or health problems only reaches about 2% of abortions nationwide. 

My reply ....But you’re dismissing that 2 per  cent as a mere statistic it seems , do you agree rape victims should be allowed abort , if not why not?

You say .....In most cases, It is due to the mother not using protection or not wanting to be a mother. 

My reply ........That’s incorrect regarding most cases not wanting to be a mother is the motivating reason and the reasons behind that are varied.

What about a man using protection why do you not mention that why is it due to the mother not using protection?

You say .....This is where the "it's my body" argument comes into play. The thing is it's not. By the time most testing can reveal a pregnancy the baby is already exhibiting signs of life, Such as a heartbeat. It is now the child's body. To kill anything that is living with previous thought is murder

My reply ......What grants a fetus a right to use another’s body without consent?

If it is indeed murder child murder is a vile crime shunned by most societies so you would be calling for life imprisonment for women who abort,  if not why not ?

My reply ......Although parenthood is a life long commitment just imagine if your parents had an abortion. 

My reply .....Well maybe ask a Jewish child who was brought up in the German ghettos in misery and ended up being gassed to death in Auschwitz?

You say .....There are many people who are against hurting or abusing their children but are totally okay with abortion. 

My reply ......There are many people who are against hurting or abusing their children but are not totally okay with abortion. What’s your point?

You say .....Aborting a baby really isn't much different from hurting your kids. 

My reply .....It’s totally different hows it not much different?

You say .....Everyone keeps talking about THIER body and THIER rights but no one talks about the baby and the fact that the baby has a heart just like the rest of us. And if you really want to talk about your rights fine, let's talk about them.

My reply ......When you say baby you’re applying personhood to the fetus why’s that?

It’s all good when you accept your rights but yet you’re denying a woman a right in favour of an unborn , why should a fetus have a right that eliminates a woman’s right to bodily autonomy?

You say .......Abortion isn't a right. There is no right explicitly given in the Constitution of the United States of America that protects the "right" for women to abort unborn babies. 

My reply ....You’re Incorrect .....

Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S.113 (1973), was a landmark decision of the U.S.Supreme Court in which the Court ruled that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendmentto the U.S.Constitution provides a "right to privacy" that protects a pregnant woman's liberty to choose whether or not to have an abortion.

This debate is not about American law either way it’s a universal question, so you only like the rights that suit you and not others?

You say ......Therefore, It is for the States to decide for themselves, Individually and separately, whether or not abortion should be legal. If women are allowed to abort unborn babies, 

My reply .....Yes you can imagine Bible Belt states in the U S bringing in lynching for women who abort

You say .....Than why not born children as well? If the opposition uses the excuse, "Women have the right not to be constrained by pregnancy and newly born babies," then wouldn't it be the same for women to kill their current children too?

My reply ......There is a big difference,  a woman who has a child has made that decision for a reason because she made a choice to do so the very thing you’re denying a woman who aborts as in a choice 

You say ......This leads to my next point, murder. It is said that it should be okay if it is in the case of incest or rape. However, A babies blood type and DNA differs from the mother's, So how is incest a valid argument, your still killing a baby with different DNA to yours? Also, rape, if you are raped or assaulted that person can go to jail, but why are you punishing the baby, what did they do wrong. Just because you were hurt why are you hurting someone else? 

My reply ......So after being brutally raped a woman should be forced to have her rapists child and no doubt allow the rapist parental visits when his jail term is over.

A single woman with a good job and excellent lifestyle is brutally raped and not alone will she need medical help and counseling you would force her to have this child as a constant reminder, thankfully people like you don’t make laws.

I’m guessing you’re most likely religious they usually are the ones who think a rapist should be allowed be a father to his victims child 

You say ......Someone who is now part of you. There is always adoption. Yes, The foster care system isn't great, And people can abuse their adopted kids, But we can, And we have, Risen above that. 

My reply .....We have risen above that really? How many have you or your family adopted?

You say .....How is murder justifiable if POTENTIALLY, The baby could be hurt in the future? 

My reply .....Your country does not jail such women as murderers so how are they murderers?

You say .....Let's say a baby has some kind of physical or mental challenge. Killing the baby because of this? 

And all in all, It's just upsetting, 

My reply .....Try looking after one profoundly handicapped child for a month and see how that sits with you before you judge others

You say ......To imagine the potential of baby Stalin being destroyed. 

You say .....Let's get basic here, who knows who that baby could've become. That baby could've done something great for the world, invented something amazing. Abortion is the death of not only a baby but what it could've become. That is why I believe abortion should not be legal.

My reply .....Sure that baby could be Hitler and Stalin rolled into one , how can a fetus justifiably  use a woman’s body without her consent , why makes this denial of a woman’s right in favour of the unborn fair? 

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @Plaffelvohfen

You say .....
    But that said, the later an abortion is performed, the more difficult and, yes questionable, it gets... And there are plenty of good arguments in favor of early abortion, the earlier the better in my opinion... 

My reply .....Yes , I totally agree 
    Plaffelvohfen
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    I understand abortion if the mother was raped, something is wrong with the baby, or the mother has medical problems, but otherwise think abortion is murder. If a woman doesn't want a baby, she should use birth control, or have her tubes removed, like I did.
  • Dee said:
    @Plaffelvohfen

You say .....

My reply .....Yes , I totally agree 
     No not really, a pregnancy abortion performed legally by a woman only takes place in a single area of time before pregancy.  It is very limited but still takes place as a united state between all woman. A female specific amputation does not have those limits set by a faults claim of legally unprecedented autonomist control. As the explainable truth is verbally stated before a public as it would be to a court, the cause is yet unknow as fact, therefore it is not presumed as any crime before hand.

Everything that this group is talking about is just an alibi for the violates the law in how it addresses the decision of the Supreme Court in Roe Versus Wade. I believe there are no specific cases where abortion should be considered right. None that do not violate the privacy of woman. 

Its not about what we want to have proven in the court of law, it is what can be proven infront of the Court of law. I do not want to establish as a united state a self-incrimination directed at all woman it is a known lie. Soon or later it will be proven as a lie. 
    Plaffelvohfen
  • Okay, here's a basic principle in human woman pregnancy as united state. The woman's egg is created before the male sperm to fertilized the egg is created, if, or if not any sexual intercourse were to fertilize egg. 

A second united State.
    The egg is always in age older than the sperm that fertilizes it. This natural event is only ever changed by human intervention.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    @ChristinaMackenzie

So many things wrong in there, where to begin........ 

Tell me, 1st... Does the right to life entails a right to use someone else body in whole or in part without their continuous consent? 
    Stated otherwise: Does the fact that I'm alive and have a right to life, allow me to use your body, in whole or in part without your continuous consent, in order for me to stay alive? .

Answer me this, and I'll see if there is any worth in addressing the rest of your "arguments"... 
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • Tell me, 1st... Does the right to life entails a right to use someone else body in whole or in part without their continuous consent? 
    Yes the right to life entails a right to use some-one else's body, all woman do not rent the egg a space before creation by her ovary. You are live, and do not have a right to life, you are at liberty to live, the simplest understanding in basic principle here is you hire someone to interact with lethal force on your behalf, if you refuse to assume the burden independently. Allowing you in specifically to use my body to live? Are you asking me to be Married? 

I believe there are no specific cases where abortion should be considered right.
    The basic principle and legal precedent say different. Woman as united state perform and not order a pregnancy abortion when not having sex as an introduction of sperm after the creation of an egg.
     By agreeing to any sexual relationship the woman is in whole truth ordering the creation of living sperm from the male to insure the survival of the egg.