frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Can anyone, directly point out, where the current President, said anything racist?

2»

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -  
    @TKDB

You seem to be giving up on trying to argue that Trump isn't racist and trying to argue that others were racist. A tu quoque argument does not win you the debate, it would just mean Trump and others were racist.

Also I suggest you take a look at what you post next time seeing as YOU are the one that posted twitter as supposed evidence and I was merely responding to you.

You posted:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanhatesthis/obama-accused-of-dividing-america-with-racist-speech-about-g

"Obama Accused Of Dividing America With "Racist" Speech About George Zimmerman Verdict"

"Obama has done more to divide races than anybody else." 

If you'd taken the time to read it and find out the slightest idea of what you were presenting, you'd see the article is just a collection of a few random tweets from people who as I have shown include people spouting racist conspiracy theories.
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -   edited July 2019
    @Ampersand

Racist theories, no.

It's about being fair and equal.

Trump gets called a racist, when he didn't say anything racist.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2013/07/19/remarks-president-trayvon-martin

Below are some excerpts from his speech:

"You know, when Trayvon Martin was first shot I said that this could have been my son.  Another way of saying that is Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago.  And when you think about why, in the African American community at least, there’s a lot of pain around what happened here, I think it’s important to recognize that the African American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that doesn’t go away."

"There are very few African American men in this country who haven't had the experience of being followed when they were shopping in a department store.  That includes me.  There are very few African American men who haven't had the experience of walking across the street and hearing the locks click on the doors of cars.  That happens to me -- at least before I was a senator.  There are very few African Americans who haven't had the experience of getting on an elevator and a woman clutching her purse nervously and holding her breath until she had a chance to get off.  That happens often.,

"And I don't want to exaggerate this, but those sets of experiences inform how the African American community interprets what happened one night in Florida.  And it’s inescapable for people to bring those experiences to bear.  The African American community is also knowledgeable that there is a history of racial disparities in the application of our criminal laws -- everything from the death penalty to enforcement of our drug laws.  And that ends up having an impact in terms of how people interpret the case.,

"Now, this isn't to say that the African American community is naïve about the fact that African American young men are disproportionately involved in the criminal justice system; that they’re disproportionately both victims and perpetrators of violence.  It’s not to make excuses for that fact -- although black folks do interpret the reasons for that in a historical context.  They understand that some of the violence that takes place in poor black neighborhoods around the country is born out of a very violent past in this country, and that the poverty and dysfunction that we see in those communities can be traced to a very difficult history."

"And so the fact that sometimes that’s unacknowledged adds to the frustration.  And the fact that a lot of African American boys are painted with a broad brush and the excuse is given, well, there are these statistics out there that show that African American boys are more violent -- using that as an excuse to then see sons treated differently causes pain."

"I think the African American community is also not naïve in understanding that, statistically, somebody like Trayvon Martin was statistically more likely to be shot by a peer than he was by somebody else.  So folks understand the challenges that exist for African American boys.  But they get frustrated, I think, if they feel that there’s no context for it and that context is being denied. And that all contributes I think to a sense that if a white male teen was involved in the same kind of scenario, that, from top to bottom, both the outcome and the aftermath might have been different."

@Ampersand

Being that this is the United States, a country with more guns in it then US citizens, roughly (397 million guns, to 325 citizens.)

Pretty much each culture of humanity has been in jail, regardless of the race.

Caucasians.

African Americans.

American Indians.

Mexican Individuals.

Alaskan Individuals.

And so on.

For non violent drug offendes, but they all still broke the law.

And the rest for the common crimes, because without the individual effort of the criminal or offender, doing what is best for their individual choices?

The other crimes have occurred:

Robberies, car jackings, sexual assaults, drive by shootings, murder, illegal drug use, domestic abuse and violence, police officers being shot, race on race gun violence, and none race on race gun violence, and so on, a million plus crimes a year.

There's nothing disproportionate about the above.

It's disproportionate to the public as a whole, that the public in general, has to via (by being victimized by a criminal, or an offender committing a crime, against an innocent citizen?)

And that's how I view the word "Disproportionate," rather than how other's like to utilize the word, when it comes to certain issues?

Because then it doesn't sound like "favoritism," in discussing one particular culture, over another, when it comes to who's residing in a jail, or prison, in regards to their committed crimes? 

So when some call Trump a fascist, or a racist, what they are doing is placing him in a disproportionate light, from their own disproportionate liberal opinionated perspectives?

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    https://www-foxnews-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.foxnews.com/politics/michelle-obama-trump-ocasio-cortez-ilhan-omar.amp?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQEKAFwAQ==#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michelle-obama-trump-ocasio-cortez-ilhan-omar 

"Michelle Obama seemingly swipes at Trump amid 'send her back' controversy"

Some excerpts from the article:

"What truly makes our country great is its diversity," Mrs. Obama tweeted. "I’ve seen that beauty in so many ways over the years. Whether we are born here or seek refuge here, there’s a place for us all. We must remember it’s not my America or your America. It’s our America."

Her husband, former President Barack Obama, has not commented in on the feud.

While the Obamas have largely avoided weighing in on political matters since leaving the White House, Friday's comments are not the first time the former first lady has seemingly tweaked Trump.

“The leader of the free world with a tweet can start a war, can crush an economy, can change the future of our children,” she told Gayle King of CBS News at the Essence Festival in New Orleans earlier this month."

"She added the next president needs to have “deep seriousness and focus” and operate “with a clear base of facts and ideas." She also said she thinks her husband sometimes made the presidency look easy."

“I guess it's kind of like if the black guy can do it, anybody can do it -- and that's not true. It's a hard job.”

We'll see how this plays out.

• WinstonCWinstonC 235 Pts   -   edited July 2019
    @Plaffelvohfen I don't believe that it is obvious that it is referring to "the squad". To quote:

"So interesting to see 'Progressive' Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run,"

Now, I don't see why he cannot be referring to the one foreign born member of the squad: Omar, and other foreign born progressive congresswomen, such as Pramila Jayapal, Norma J. Torres, Susan Wild, Stephanie Murphy etc. Only with the most uncharitable interpretation is it possible to label this tweet racist.
    CYDdhartaethang5
    @TKDB

You seem to be going on a random screed with no real coherence and no relevance to the point under discussion.

Trump attacked women based on their race on top of all the other racist acts he's committed over the years. he's a racist.

@WinstonC

It's obvious from context who Trump is referring to and not even Trump has tried claiming his tweets were about anyone other than The Squad. Stop desperately trying to reach for interpretations which don't fit reality.
    CYDdhartaPlaffelvohfenethang5THEDENIER
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @Ampersand

Prove it, support your claim?

Possible reference sources:

CNN, MSNBC, NPR, ABC, CBS, NBC, OAN, or FOX news? 

Here's the catch, your sources can't be based on Opinion Journalism, only actual news oriented Journalism?

Because apparently today, many of the Liberal news media outlets, are consciously dishing out liberal opinions, like it's actual news Journalism? 

So, do your research, and see who's reporting on the news that's happening nationwide, and the news involving President Trump, as well? 

CNN, seems to be relying on the President as their primary news fodder supplier, to entertain their viewership with?

NPR, has been doing the same thing, this week? 

(Michelle Obama made some headlines of her own, in regards to the President?

"Michelle Obama seemingly swipes at Trump amid 'send her back' controversy"

Some excerpts from the article:

"What truly makes our country great is its diversity," Mrs. Obama tweeted. "I’ve seen that beauty in so many ways over the years. Whether we are born here or seek refuge here, there’s a place for us all. We must remember it’s not my America or your America. It’s our America."

Her husband, former President Barack Obama, has not commented in on the feud.

While the Obamas have largely avoided weighing in on political matters since leaving the White House, Friday's comments are not the first time the former first lady has seemingly tweaked Trump.

“The leader of the free world with a tweet can start a war, can crush an economy, can change the future of our children,” she told Gayle King of CBS News at the Essence Festival in New Orleans earlier this month."

"She added the next president needs to have “deep seriousness and focus” and operate “with a clear base of facts and ideas." She also said she thinks her husband sometimes made the presidency look easy."

“I guess it's kind of like if the black guy can do it, anybody can do it -- and that's not true. It's a hard job.")

@Ampersand

Back your arguments up? 

Because, I just did.

"You seem to be going on a random screed with no real coherence and no relevance to the point under discussion."

"Trump attacked women based on their race on top of all the other racist acts he's committed over the years. he's a racist."

@Ampersand

Prove he's a racist?

Where's your video evidence, that he told you, "Yes, Ampersand, I'm a racist, because you made a statement, about me?

@Ampersand I'm genuinely trying to find the evidence that the other three members of "the squad" are being called foreign born here. I've read about 20 news articles on it and even read Trump's twitter (ugh) searching but I can't find any evidence that this is the case. What convinced you that the three other members of "the squad" were being called foreign born?

Here's an example, "It's funny to see rich bastards pretending to be men of the people". Is it impossible that this statement is said only in reference to Trump or must it refer to all Republicans?

I'd also like to say that incorrectly believing someone is foreign-born is not racist, it's just ignorant.
    @TKDB

Your standard is now that no-one criticising Donald trump is able to use any critical reasoning or intelligence and instead we have to mindlessly wait for Donald Trump to tell us whether or not he's racist. Stop apologising for racism.

@WindstonC

The tweet referred to all members of "The Squad. It referred to them as congresswomen, plural, coming from "countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all)". While perhaps Donald Trump had an amazing moment of insight into his own incompetence and was calling his own government horrible and corrupt, the only realistic reading of it is he was calling them all immigrants who come from other countries even though this is a false and a racial attack to represent people of colour as "other" and second class. 
    CYDdhartaethang5
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1833 Pts   -  
    Ampersand said:

@WindstonC

The tweet referred to all members of "The Squad. It referred to them as congresswomen, plural, coming from "countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all)". While perhaps Donald Trump had an amazing moment of insight into his own incompetence and was calling his own government horrible and corrupt, the only realistic reading of it is he was calling them all immigrants who come from other countries even though this is a false and a racial attack to represent people of colour as "other" and second class. 

That isn't just a fallacy, it's a blatant lie. 

So interesting to see “Progressive” Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly......

....and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how....

....it is done. These places need your help badly, you can’t leave fast enough. I’m sure that Nancy Pelosi would be very happy to quickly work out free travel arrangements!

Not a single mention of "the squad", not a single mention of any particular congresscritter, the only ones referenced were "Progressive Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe".
    @Ampersand

(Prove it, support your claim?

Possible reference sources:

CNN, MSNBC, NPR, ABC, CBS, NBC, OAN, or FOX news? 

Here's the catch, your sources can't be based on Opinion Journalism, only actual news oriented Journalism?

Because apparently today, many of the Liberal news media outlets, are consciously dishing out liberal opinions, like it's actual news Journalism? 

So, do your research, and see who's reporting on the news that's happening nationwide, and the news involving President Trump, as well? 

CNN, seems to be relying on the President as their primary news fodder supplier, to entertain their viewership with?

NPR, has been doing the same thing, this week?)

And your response is this:
    "Your standard is now that no-one criticizing Donald trump is able to use any critical reasoning or intelligence and instead we have to mindlessly wait for Donald Trump to tell us whether or not he's racist. Stop apologizing for racism."

My standard is based on the old school journalism: The who, what, when, why where, and how? The basic principles that actual journalists, go about crafting their NEWS stories with?

And basic journalism 101, means that the news journalist, is unbiased, along with being fair, and equal to the story, so that the public, can be properly informed , and educated, when they read a news paper, or watch their local TV news program? 

@Ampersand

"Stop apologizing for racism."

Did I apologize to you, over racism?

This is twice, now, that you have put words in my mouth? (Show me the quote?)

So you're, in a sense telling me that some of the self "Opinionated Opinion Journalists," are "exercising critical reasoning or intelligence" and they should be able to say what they want, BASED, on their own opinions, and not the factual facts, when it comes to Trump? 

Should some of the Opinionated Liberal news anchors apologize, to the public in general for how they are unfairly, and unequal treating Trump? 

@Ampersand: Do you maybe view yourself as a self created opinion journalist? 

ethang5
  • If memory serves me correctly didn't Trump actually say that a group of people should go back to their "crime infested countries?"

• Oh wait, was this what he really said:

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42

Where are your real world facts, to support your claim? 

• And what claim did I actually make?

@Ampersand The full quote:

"So interesting to see 'Progressive' Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run, Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how it is done. These places need your help badly, you can’t leave fast enough. I’m sure that Nancy Pelosi would be very happy to quickly work out free travel arrangements!"

It doesn't mention "the squad" anywhere.

@ZeusAres42 Do you mean this part of the quote?

"Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how it is done."
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    WinstonC said:

"So interesting to see 'Progressive' Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run, Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how it is done. These places need your help badly, you can’t leave fast enough. I’m sure that Nancy Pelosi would be very happy to quickly work out free travel arrangements!"

So disingenuous to refuse to acknowledge the whole week where these exchange took place... It was very obvious to everyone at that rally who Trump was talking about... It is obvious to anyone that didn't live under a rock that week that he was indeed talking about the so called "squad"...  Trump didn't say that out of the blue, there's context here...
    CYDdhartaethang5
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • WinstonCWinstonC 235 Pts   -  
    @Plaffelvohfen I'm sure I am biased, as we all are, I'm not trying to be disingenuous, though. This was a series of 3 tweets, it's not taken from a rally. Why can he not be referring to Omar, rather than the 3 U.S. born members of "the squad"? If I say "It's funny to see privileged millionaires pretending to be men of the people" am I referring to Trump or do I have to be referring to all republicans?
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -   edited July 2019
    @WinstonC

He was referring to congresswomen, not congresswoman... He was talking about multiple individuals, in the context of the prior week, it is obvious to anyone honest that he was indeed talking about those 4 individuals... Your exemple does not have any context to it so cannot apply here...

And Trump has a proven record of being racist...
    CYDdharta
    @Plaffelvohfen

It's very obvious that some of the Opinionated opinion journalists, are pushing their liberal rhetoric under the guise of Basic Journalism?

Honest News Journalism, is unbiased, neutral, and doesn't pick a side?

But because of the advent of the Internet, and Social Media, I guess millions of individuals, decided to take it upon themselves to show Honest News Journalism, the back door, because honest journalism, stood in the way of the Opinionated Opinion Journalist, and disliked the words coming from their non Social Media keyboards?

Imagine that, the corruption of Basic Journalism 101, by the self created Opinionated Opinion Journalist?

I wonder, if some of those so called institutions of higher learning, helped to "Co-Birth," some of the Opinionated Opinion Journalists, through some of the websites on the internet, Social Media, and what some of those young minds born during the early 1990's, were being groomed, by both, some of the Liberal, and Socialist, minded individuals, from then, up until now?

And that some of the Socialist Democrats, and the Democrats are pandering, catering, and coddling their individual constituent followers, or fanbases, trying to garner undeserved attention to both their Socialist Democrat, and Democrat minded ideologies?

Before Trump even got into the Oval Office, Hillary Clinton was verbally flexing her Democratic minded ideology, in the hopes of garnering the same attention for herself?

And with each passing day, (Doing this Socialist, and Liberal production dance,) before the very eyes of those millions of Voters, who aren't Socialist minded, or Liberal minded, those same political representatives, are exposing their mindsets, to the scrutiny of the overall voting public at large, are going to be continuesly entertained by these same Socialist Liberals, and some of the Liberals, themselves, all the way up to the upcoming Election cycle, and beyond?

Because that's how dedicated, these individuals are, in trying to turn the United States, into a version of same shared Socialist Liberal, and Liberal mindsets, that lives inside, the confines of their own minds, and apparently the U.S. as it exists to them, isn't being fair to them, or their constituents, or follower fanbases? 

And this is why, through Social Media, and some of the news media outlets, various messages are being crafted, and presented to some, and not all of the voting public, in order for those determined Socialist Liberals, and some of the Liberals themselves, to try to convince the rest of the United States, to vote their way? 

So guess what AOC, Booker, Harris, Biden, Clinton, Sanders, Schumer, Pelosi, O'Rourke, and the rest of the Socialist Liberals, and some of the Liberals themselves, the country as a whole, deserves better, than the future, that you're apparently trying to cultivate in the United States, to suit your self serving interests, and to suit the self serving interests of your individual constituents, or follower fanbases?
    Plaffelvohfen
    WinstonC said:

So disingenuous to refuse to acknowledge the whole week where these exchange took place... It was very obvious to everyone at that rally who Trump was talking about... It is obvious to anyone that didn't live under a rock that week that he was indeed talking about the so called "squad"...  Trump didn't say that out of the blue, there's context here...
    At what rally?

It's obvious that Trump was talking about "Progressive Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe".

@WinstonC

He was referring to congresswomen, not congresswoman... He was talking about multiple individuals, in the context of the prior week, it is obvious to anyone honest that he was indeed talking about those 4 individuals... Your exemple does not have any context to it so cannot apply here...

And Trump has a proven record of being racist...

If Trump had a proven record of being a racist, you'd think his black girlfriend would have noticed it in the years they were dating.
    Plaffelvohfen
    @Plaffelvohfen I used plurals in my example, yet I was only referring to Trump. Further, there are other progressive foreign born congresswomen, e.g. Pramila Jayapal, Norma J. Torres, Susan Wild, Stephanie Murphy etc.

It's like when some media outlets claimed Trump said "Mexicans are animals" when he was referring only to MS-13. It's technically true, because MS-13 are a Mexican gang, however it's not got the racist undertones that the outlets' phrasing would imply.
    @WinstonC

Disingenuous again... Those other foreign born congresswomen were not in the headlines talking about Trump, they are out of context... This so called "squad" was all over the headlines and news cycle, they made sure of it by being quite vocal...  What you're doing is denying the clear context of Trump's comments, which is disingenuous...
    CYDdharta
    @WinstonC

And also, MS-13 are originally Salvadoran, not Mexican... 
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1833 Pts   -   edited July 2019
    @WinstonC

Disingenuous again... Those other foreign born congresswomen were not in the headlines talking about Trump, they are out of context... This so called "squad" was all over the headlines and news cycle, they made sure of it by being quite vocal...  What you're doing is denying the clear context of Trump's comments, which is disingenuous...

What you are doing is reading into Trump's words what you want them to be as opposed to what he actually said.  Disingenuous indeed.

@WinstonC

And also, MS-13 are originally Salvadoran, not Mexican... 

Are you trying to make the case that MS-13 isn't in Mexico?  I hope not.
    Plaffelvohfen
    @Plaffelvohfen Fair enough, I didn't know that about MS-13. Though in a sense it makes my point clearer, because media outlets spun the narrative that Trump was calling Mexicans animals when referring to MS-13.
    ethang5
    WinstonC said:
    @Plaffelvohfen Fair enough, I didn't know that about MS-13. Though in a sense it makes my point clearer, because media outlets spun the narrative that Trump was calling Mexicans animals when referring to MS-13.
    That's because Trump doesn't differentiate between Salvadorans, Mexicans, Guatemalans, Costa-Ricans, etc... They're all wetbacks, you know...
    CYDdharta
    WinstonC said:

That's because it isn't accurate;

Outside traditional bases in the US and Central America, MS-13 also expanded into Mexico. The gang moved across the Guatemalan border to the southern Mexican state of Chiapas and got involved in human trafficking, working with people hoping to sneak through Mexico on their way from Central America to the US. MS-13 involvement in human trafficking resulted in partnerships with organizations like Los Zetas, Mexico's most notorious drug cartel.
    https://www.ranker.com/list/mara-salvatrucha-facts-and-stories/katia-kleyman

Plaffelvohfen
    @CYDdharta

From your link... "MS-13 is predominantly made up of Salvadoran immigrants who sought refuge in the United States during the Salvadoran Civil War"...   :D 
    @CYDdharta

From your link... "MS-13 is predominantly made up of Salvadoran immigrants who sought refuge in the United States during the Salvadoran Civil War"...   :D 
    Also from my link... "MS-13 also expanded into Mexico. The gang moved across the Guatemalan border to the southern Mexican state of Chiapas"... :o
    @CYDdharta

Toyota has many manufacturing plants in the US, but it is not an American company... You're being ridiculous...
    @CYDdharta

Toyota has many manufacturing plants in the US, but it is not an American company... You're being ridiculous...
    Do you have a point?  MS-13 has a significant presence in Mexico.  You're being ignorant.
    Plaffelvohfenethang5
    @CYDdharta

Coming from you that's priceless...  :D :D 
    @CYDdharta

Coming from you that's priceless...  :D :D 

You would think so.  Posting irrelevant and useless garbage is you forte.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @Plaffelvohfen

A stark, and educational take on Racism:

https://www.thecrimson.com/column/between-the-lines/article/2018/8/10/gao-who-can-be-racist/

"Who Can Be ‘Racist’?"

Excerpts from the article:

"The debate about whether all people can be racist stems from different definitions of “racism.” One camp subscribes to the standard dictionary definition: racism is “prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior.” There are no restrictions on which races can be the instigators and what magnitude of disdain counts as “superiority.” 

"Another camp thinks primarily of institutional racism and factors in a person’s power to use their racist beliefs against others. As one African-American lead character from the 2014 movie “Dear White People” argues, “Black people can’t be racist. Prejudiced, yes, but not racist. Racism describes a system of disadvantage based on race. Black people can’t be racists since we don’t stand to benefit from such a system.” 

"What a convoluted way to absolve oneself of possible racist fault. Under this definition, yes, black individuals can’t be racist. The system is rigged in favor of white people, who have traditionally been in power. But the strange implication of this statement is that being called “prejudiced” isn’t as bad as being called a “racist” — although racism can manifest itself as prejudice, and though prejudice surely is not desired either. So Sam’s argument achieves the linguistic triumph of avoiding the label “racist,” but that’s about it. "

"This argument’s main point — that minorities can’t be racist because they have no power to act on such antagonism — is also reductive. We shouldn’t have to take stock of each other’s race and relative power in society before making a judgment on an act itself. We shouldn’t have to condone prejudice or discrimination against anyone, for any reason."

"Racism is individual, not just institutional. As individuals, we all have the power to hurt one another. However, though power dynamics of race in our society shouldn’t absolve some races from the ability to be racist, they should affect how we determine degrees of racism. I’d argue that, on average, a racist comment would cause a white person less harm or fear than it would cause a black person. I’m not sure how exactly one could measure that, but white people have it easier in America, and that shouldn’t be a controversial statement."

"Consider the recent controversy involving Sarah Jeong, a writer of Asian descent, whose colorful tweets against white people were dug up after the New York Times’ editorial board hired her. Such tweets included: “oh man it’s kind of sick how much joy I get out of being cruel to old white men”; (Blank) white women lol”; “dumb(Blank) (Blank) white people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs (Blank) on fire hydrants.” While not condoning her tweets, The Times stood by Jeong, who also issued her own statement."

"This seemed like the best resolution. I thought it was important, as the Times did, to deny the right-wing trolls who are orchestrating smear campaigns to get journalists fired and to reserve judgment of their employees for what they actually do at their jobs."

"But the tweets were pretty racist. I didn’t see the point of those insisting that Jeong’s tweets weren’t racist at all and that she had nothing to apologize for, because “there was no sense of threat associated” with her jokes. After winning this round, since Jeong wasn’t fired, refusing to budge an inch and admit some wrongdoing is not a good look for the left."

"Because there’s no scenario in which racism is not a bad thing. If some extremists won’t engage in good faith, we can’t force them. But at least among the rest of us, we can do better. We shouldn’t need to compare how a possible act of racism would differ if perpetrated against blacks, whites, or Asians just to understand if it’s wrong. We shouldn’t allow some people to indulge in their racism just because they may not have any power to systematically discriminate against other groups. Let’s acknowledge the existence of so-called “reverse racism” and the existence of degrees of racism. Otherwise, discourse around race will become a race to the bottom."

There are a plethora of takeaways from this article.

And if some compare what was said in the article, towards Causion individuals, by an individual from another culture, and compare it, in regards to what the President said, their separate comments, are explicitly distinct, between the President's, individual choice of words, and what the individual, said in reference to the Caucasian individuals, via their own choice words towards those Caucasian individuals?

Plaffelvohfen
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -   edited July 2019
    @TKDB

And your point is? That someone can be more openly racist than Trump? Sure, evidence abound on this... But a short racist and a tall racist are both racist anyway...

Is your point that there a black racists, asian racists, latino racists, etc? Sure, ignorance and bigotry don't discriminate... Still can't see the relevance...
    @Plaffelvohfen

And your point is?

There are many points:

Because when it comes to some individuals, and their choices of language, around the other cultures, in public, everyone is getting an earshot of an education, of how the various cultures, refer to each other, based upon the individual language of their culture, and are defining themselves via their individual cultural language choices.

I've heard a Black individual call a Caucasian individual, the "C" word, or the "H" word before?

But I've yet to hear a Caucasian individual, to go out of their conversational way, to refer to another Caucasian individual, as the "C" word, or the "H" word?

And I'm wondering, if maybe two Caucasian individuals, going out of their way to call each other, one of those terms, if they might not be viewed, as sounding ignorant, by any of the other cultures, in public, around them? 

And I've heard Black individuals calling each other the "N" word before, along with other variations that are in direct relation, to that word?
    (Does the "N" word maybe, or exclusively belong to the Black culture?)

Because I've heard Caucasian individuals, refer to other Caucasian individuals, as a white "N" word before? 

And I'm wondering, if when two Black individuals, go out of their way to referring to each other, as the "N" word, if they might not be viewed as sounding ignorant, by another of the other cultures, in the public, around them? 

"That someone can be more openly racist than Trump? Sure, evidence abound on this... But a short racist and a tall racist are both racist anyway..."

What does an individuals height (short racist, or tall racist) have to do with an individuals choice of language, is solely being based on their individual culture? 

It has zero to do with an individual, utilizing language, that might, or may come across as racist, to others? 

"Is your point that there a black racists, asian racists, latino racists, etc? Sure, ignorance and bigotry don't discriminate... Still can't see the relevance..."

The relevance is, that maybe some individuals, apparently like to play an individual racist card on themselves, by utilizing a choice of language based solely on their culture?

And maybe those same individual racist card speaker's, prefer not to hear anything about their individual cultural language, or figure, that those of their same culture, will just give them a pass, by calling another a racist, for utilizing the same language, towards another culture, and then getting chastised by some of the public, for that racist remark?

That's a culteral double standard.

Trump didn't say anything racist, but others have unjustifiably surrounded him with their double standard, standards.

When others have used racist language towards others, of a different culture, and got a pass for that action?

That's a double standard, in public view, whether some based on their individual cultures, are consciously willing to view it that way or not?

I guess, it's just par for the course, given the extended uses of certain words, via the various cultures, that utilize certain words, and have been doing it publically for years now?

I guess when it comes to certain words, that could be viewed as racist by some, aren't going away, anytime soon, are they?

Being that apparently certain cultures keep their cultural words of choice, around, with them right? 

For one generation, to maybe, teach to the next? 

I wonder, what culturally chosen languages, I might hear tomorrow, and one individual, may view a word as racist, while another individual of the same culture, maybe won't think anything about it? 
    Plaffelvohfenethang5
  • WinstonC said:
    @ZeusAres42 Do you mean this part of the quote?

"Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how it is done."
    I do not know exactly what was said by Trump. What I do know though that on national news a few days the US government had officially declared that what Trump said was racist and unpresidential. 
    Plaffelvohfenethang5

I do not know exactly what was said by Trump. What I do know though that on national news a few days the US government had officially declared that what Trump said was racist and unpresidential. 

That wasn't the US government, that was a merely party line vote in the House.
    ZeusAres42WinstonC
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42

A stark, and educational take on Racism:

https://www.thecrimson.com/column/between-the-lines/article/2018/8/10/gao-who-can-be-racist/

"Who Can Be ‘Racist’?"

Excerpts from the article:

"The debate about whether all people can be racist stems from different definitions of “racism.” One camp subscribes to the standard dictionary definition: racism is “prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior.” There are no restrictions on which races can be the instigators and what magnitude of disdain counts as “superiority.” 

"Another camp thinks primarily of institutional racism and factors in a person’s power to use their racist beliefs against others. As one African-American lead character from the 2014 movie “Dear White People” argues, “Black people can’t be racist. Prejudiced, yes, but not racist. Racism describes a system of disadvantage based on race. Black people can’t be racists since we don’t stand to benefit from such a system.” 

"What a convoluted way to absolve oneself of possible racist fault. Under this definition, yes, black individuals can’t be racist. The system is rigged in favor of white people, who have traditionally been in power. But the strange implication of this statement is that being called “prejudiced” isn’t as bad as being called a “racist” — although racism can manifest itself as prejudice, and though prejudice surely is not desired either. So Sam’s argument achieves the linguistic triumph of avoiding the label “racist,” but that’s about it. "

"This argument’s main point — that minorities can’t be racist because they have no power to act on such antagonism — is also reductive. We shouldn’t have to take stock of each other’s race and relative power in society before making a judgment on an act itself. We shouldn’t have to condone prejudice or discrimination against anyone, for any reason."

"Racism is individual, not just institutional. As individuals, we all have the power to hurt one another. However, though power dynamics of race in our society shouldn’t absolve some races from the ability to be racist, they should affect how we determine degrees of racism. I’d argue that, on average, a racist comment would cause a white person less harm or fear than it would cause a black person. I’m not sure how exactly one could measure that, but white people have it easier in America, and that shouldn’t be a controversial statement."

"Consider the recent controversy involving Sarah Jeong, a writer of Asian descent, whose colorful tweets against white people were dug up after the New York Times’ editorial board hired her. Such tweets included: “oh man it’s kind of sick how much joy I get out of being cruel to old white men”; (Blank) white women lol”; “dumb(Blank) (Blank) white people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs (Blank) on fire hydrants.” While not condoning her tweets, The Times stood by Jeong, who also issued her own statement."

"This seemed like the best resolution. I thought it was important, as the Times did, to deny the right-wing trolls who are orchestrating smear campaigns to get journalists fired and to reserve judgment of their employees for what they actually do at their jobs."

"But the tweets were pretty racist. I didn’t see the point of those insisting that Jeong’s tweets weren’t racist at all and that she had nothing to apologize for, because “there was no sense of threat associated” with her jokes. After winning this round, since Jeong wasn’t fired, refusing to budge an inch and admit some wrongdoing is not a good look for the left."

"Because there’s no scenario in which racism is not a bad thing. If some extremists won’t engage in good faith, we can’t force them. But at least among the rest of us, we can do better. We shouldn’t need to compare how a possible act of racism would differ if perpetrated against blacks, whites, or Asians just to understand if it’s wrong. We shouldn’t allow some people to indulge in their racism just because they may not have any power to systematically discriminate against other groups. Let’s acknowledge the existence of so-called “reverse racism” and the existence of degrees of racism. Otherwise, discourse around race will become a race to the bottom."

There are a plethora of takeaways from this article.

And if some compare what was said in the article, towards Causion individuals, by an individual from another culture, and compare it, in regards to what the President said, their separate comments, are explicitly distinct, between the President's, individual choice of words, and what the individual, said in reference to the Caucasian individuals, via their own choice words towards those Caucasian individuals? 

Plaffelvohfen
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    New today:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/bette-midler-calls-african-american-220729573.html

"Bette Midler calls African American Trump supporters 'blackground,' is slammed as 'racist'"

"Bette Midler is facing backlash after suggesting that President Donald Trump paid African American supporters to add "blackground" to his rally. 

The outspoken Trump critic took to Twitter Wednesday to share a photo of a group of black men standing in the crowd behind Trump during one of his reelection rallies.

"Look, there are African American men in this shot! How much did he pay them to be 'blackground'?" Midler, 73, tweeted to her 1.7 million followers. 

Her remark was instantly slammed as "racist" and "really sick."

"Wow, Bette! That’s some racist stuff right there. I guess an old, white woman like yourself gets to decide what and how black people should believe and vote," @staceybeast ;tweeted, while @Sammurica ;wrote: "People of different races are allowed to support whoever they want. Shocking, I know."

User @derek_mafs added: "Wow this is a disgusting comment on so many levels? 'blackground?' Really? You are really sick, Bette."

Midler hasn't responded to the criticism or deleted the controversial tweet from her account, where she has since tweeted about former special counsel Robert Mueller's testimony.

Trump hasn't addressed her tweet yet.

There is no love lost between Midler and Trump. In June, the president called Midler a"washed up psycho" after she apologized for tweeting an alleged Trump quote that was phony. "