frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Single and childless, an accomplishment?

Debate Information

I view three things in my life as emotional/mental boundaries, one is my religion, my upbringing and my circumstances in the early years. I use the word boundaries because I look back at my past as potentially dismal. I was raised in a southern Baptist atmosphere, in my church I got the subliminal messages that women are followers not leaders. Strike two, I grew up in a native American family that stuck to the old ways, where boys are favored above girls-in my tribal language its called au-day. Strike three, I have an alcoholic father and a classic enabling mother. All these negatve strokes caused something inside me to rebel because I felt being pulled into a world of crap. I was being molded into an insignificant, nobody. Fast forward four decades, I'm 52 years of age, I never married, never had children. I was afraid to have children around my family, my religion, etc. I was afraid to be like my mother, my father, my peers. Now it's too late to procreate thank goodness. But I see myself as free, free from all I saw and learned as a young person. The enabling, servitude, favoritism, lowered self-esteem; I'm sure I would have repeated the dysfunction had I not become part of the unconventional breed. It's an accomplishment for me to be single and childless.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• AlexOlandAlexOland 313 Pts   -  
     I mean, what are you asking for here? 

If being single and childless is what makes you happy then what input are you waiting for?
    all4actt
  • WinstonCWinstonC 235 Pts   -  
    @Kristina52 I can see that you had some negative experiences due to negative examples of relationships and parenthood. This isn't any reason to overgeneralize though. Like with any phenomenon, some parents are bad and some relationships are bad. On the other hand, some relationships are great, and parenthood can give great meaning to one's life. Not every relationship is like the one your parents had, in fact nowadays it's not uncommon for the woman to be the dominant one. Any healthy relationship requires mutual respect and a healthy balance of power between lovers.

Of course, not everyone wants children or a relationship and that's their choice to make. There is certainly a lot of work and responsibility in raising a child. I wouldn't say that a lack of either thing is an accomplishment in and of itself, however. Nevertheless, I'm sure lacking in these things gave you a lot of time to achieve things outside of these domains.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6019 Pts   -  
    There is nothing wrong with being single, if it works for you. I am 29, also currently single, never even been in a serious relationship. I am happy alone and I treasure my independence and freedoms, although I am open to the idea of marrying someone and having children with them - provided they truly make my life happier. I do not have a need to form a family, and that, I think, makes me much less likely to make a wrong choice as far as the partner goes. Many people are in such a rush to get married that they will accept virtually anyone who accepts them - which costs them in the long run.

Now, if you deep inside do not want to be single, but are single for whatever reason - then that is another matter. You should do in life what makes you happier, and sometimes the action itself is not a pleasant one. Sometimes you have to overcome your insecurities, to expose yourself, to take risks - for the ultimately bigger reward.
    But it does not seem to be the case here, so I see no reason for you to do anything in order to change your status quo.
  • AlekseySalazAlekseySalaz 23 Pts   -  
    @Kristina52 I didn't read the paragraph thingy but it depends on what you define as an accomplishment. As an organism you are losing, as the life purpose of organisms is to reproduce. If you are happy then I suppose that is an accomplishment. If your job pays you well or if you have a good financial life then yes that is an accomplishment. All depends on your definition.
  • GeoLibCogScientistGeoLibCogScientist 128 Pts   -  
    Success and accomplishments are primarily defined by the person who views them as such.

For me, personally, I would have viewed myself as a loser for being single some years ago. However, my mindset changed as do most people's. It all depends on your point of view. Based on your story, it sounds like you wanted this and your story sounds like you had a background and environment which would have made it more difficult. Provided you wanted to be single and I'm reading things correctly, then for you personally, this was absolutely an accomplishment. 
    "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal."
    -Albert Camus, Notebook IV
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6019 Pts   -  
    @GeoLibCogScientist

Exactly. A lot of people regret being single, but then, once they start dating, get into a relationship and get married, start missing their single days. Both options have their upsides and downsides.

It really depends on the perspective. It is better to know what works for you personally and go with it, than surrender either to the societal pressure or to the individual insecurities and go against one's deep inner desires.
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    I don't want children, and I don't feel like anything is missing.
  • jesusisGod777jesusisGod777 115 Pts   -  
    This is sad.

I don't really know how to answer.

If bad things happened to you, all I can say is trust is Jesus the God of creation. If you want something and God wants to give you something that's his, you have to ask.

The majority of men want a relationship, however, I have realized many fathers we're abusive.

You have to let the past go. If you hold onto it, emotionally you'll never move on from what happened.

Jesus is Lord. Ask him to help you.
    YeshuaBought
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -