frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

What are some good ways to measure Human Intelligence?

Debate Information

What do you think is the measure of human intelligence? many may say on how much that they know of subjects and such yet that is a fallacy. Anyone can open a book or listen to a teacher and believe that the knowledge makes them smart. However that is just memorization, pure rote.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• AlekseySalazAlekseySalaz 23 Pts   -  
    I think that IQ is a pretty solid way to measure intelligence since it assesses your ability to think and problem solve
  • GeoLibCogScientistGeoLibCogScientist 128 Pts   -   edited July 2019
    Lol. I don't think there is one. I'm going into cognitive science, but I recognize flaws in many of the ways we currently measure one's cognitive abilities. An IQ test, or any "test" like them would have an issue in that people who are simply good test-takers could score higher than their intelligence actually is. If you're like me, you're able to recognize patterns in tests and figure out what answer is correct by simple process of ellimination rather than coming to it by actually knowing the answer or the correct path to the answer beforehand(in a way to "cheat" in getting a higher score than your actual intelligence and knowledge would have indicated). Or, you could be a terrible testtaker, which would deflate your score and not reflect your intelligence either.  People with anxiety would definitely score lower too, since a test could easily provoke their anxiety levels and that can impact the choices they make on the test as well.

All of these problems are independent of one's intelligence though, at least with how we think of intelligence. Normally we don't consider one's psychological capabilities as a variable to consider for making up intelligence, except perhaps for the theory of multiple intelligences.

Now, there is also observation that someone could do to determine one's intelligence. This can also have issues. I am quite aware that for myself, I sound much more intelligent in the written word than in my actions or my speech. This dealing with I have a social anxiety when around other people.

For interspecies intelligence, we do know that generally speaking, the brain size to body size ratio of the species is a good predictive indicator of each species intelligence. Dolpins, I believe, come in second to humans for that ratio, and they're also one of the only other species which act pretty human(i.e they have their own language with which they have unique names for each other, the pass down stories and traditions from each other, etc). But, this too can have exceptions. I mean, the human race is getting fatter in a lot of parts of the world, so our body mass is changing as a species, but this will not have bearing on our intelligence, and thus it's not a perfect correlation(r!=1)

There's certainly no perfect way of determining intelligence level.

I would say we probably need to observe someone without their knowledge, but we need an unbiased observer, perhaps an AI. This would probably be the closest to perfect measurement of intelligence we can get. 

AlexOlandPlaffelvohfen
    "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal."
    -Albert Camus, Notebook IV
  • AlekseySalazAlekseySalaz 23 Pts   -  
    @GeoLibCogScientist would you say an IQ test is the most practical and accessible way to measure your intelligence while still remaining relatively accurate? 
    GeoLibCogScientist
  • GeoLibCogScientistGeoLibCogScientist 128 Pts   -  
    @AlekseySalaz
    Yes, it's probably the most accessible and practical. That's probably why it's the most common way of doing it: it's just easy to do it that way and any other way to improve the accuracy would be very complex and difficult.
    "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal."
    -Albert Camus, Notebook IV
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    and yet, we all know of savants who would fail at most test but are capable of extreme musical and math calculations.@GeoLibCogScientist
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    Intelligence, in the most general sense, is the ability to find patterns in the surrounding world and connect them to the laws of the Universe. It is very hard to measure it, since it manifests in many different ways. Different people are good and bad at detecting different patterns.

Someone's knowledge may significantly skew the "measurements" of their intelligence, since it becomes difficult to separate what patterns they can find in the unfamiliar environment from what patterns they are already familiar with.
    maxx
  • maxx said:
    What do you think is the measure of human intelligence? many may say on how much that they know of subjects and such yet that is a fallacy. Anyone can open a book or listen to a teacher and believe that the knowledge makes them smart. However that is just memorization, pure rote.
    Nope, if someone says that intelligence is about knowledge of subjects and such that is not fallacy. It could indeed however be an inaccuracy, weak and/or invalid proposition. 

Moreover, for me Intelligence is an abstract word (idea); it can be defined or measured anyway you want it to be. 

• all4acttall4actt 305 Pts   -  
    Standard IQ test are a good measure of the completely healthy persons abilities.  It is in no way an indicator of what someone may or may not do with their assessed intellegence.

Also a standard intellgence test does not work with all individuals.  Take Autisitc people.  The majority of them will score very low on a standard IQ test yet a good majority of them are highly intellegent.  Some even have eiadetic memories.
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1712 Pts   -  
    I believe there are many different types of intelligence: some are divergent (creative) intelligence, convergent (problem-solving) intelligence and social intelligence. The IQ test only really applies to convergent thinking as the questions you are asked are normally to do with completing 3D puzzles, finding patterns etc. Therefore it should not be the Intelligence Quotient Test (IQ) but the Convergent Intelligence Quotient Test (CIQ). The belief that the IQ test is a single and complete way to measure intelligence in every way is wrong. Instead, it provides you with a rough sense of how good you are at convergent thinking. Intelligence can not be defined with a three-digit number. 

There is no single way to measure all intelligence. Especially social intelligence which is not something you can 'test'. Maxx said that it is not to do with knowledge. That is entirely correct. Knowledge and intelligence are entirely unrelated concepts. Please reply if you think you can persuade me that they are related. I think that convergent intelligence is the easiest to measure, and therefore is a good way to measure this is the IQ test. But do not be fooled by the name. This test is a measure of how good your brain is at thinking in a certain way. Is that maybe the definition of intelligence? How good your brain is at thinking? The actual definition of intelligence is the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills. So no. But this definition does show that intelligence is not about how much you know but how good you are at acquiring knowledge. So being intelligent is also to do with how good you are at learning.

In conclusion, there are many different types of intelligence and for some there is no way to measure them. Therefore there is no way to measure intelligence as a whole. But IQ is a good way to measure convergent intelligence.
    maxxDylan