frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

What are your thoughts on red flag laws?

Debate Information

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    As the man said, "Red flag laws alone are a cop-out." Mental illness" alone is another cop-out. 

W.... eirdos
    E..... expressing
    A..... ggressive
    P..... athologies
    O.... n
    N.... ormal
    S.... ociety
    CYDdharta
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    Something needs to be done, about the overall gun problem, in the United States. 

The Red Flag laws, are a step in the right direction. 
    CYDdharta
  • DylanDylan 61 Pts   -  
    I don't think the concept of red flag laws are bad in theory. However, this is a law/system that can very easily be abused. 

For starters, how to we determine who exactly gets to decide who is and isn't allowed to own a firearm? How do we decide the fine line between fit and unfit? There's a lot of gray area and imperfections here that I'm not too sure are worth it. Another example, what if someone were to falsely report another person saying they needed to have their guns taken away with false or exaggerated accusations? People could lose access to their firearms for something as simple and ridiculous as that, and unfortunately there are plenty of people out there that wouldn't hesitate to do such a thing.

I don't think red flag laws are a bad idea, but people would ruin it. Human imperfection would make a system like this extremely faulty. 
    CYDdhartaZombieguy1987
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    @TKDB Triggers don't pull themselves. This is a mental health problem, NOT a gun problem. Guns are a right, for any law abiding and mentally stable adult, that can handle the responsibility.
    Zombieguy1987
  • all4acttall4actt 304 Pts   -  
    Red flags laws are a good idea in theory but they need to be written carefully.  They must include a due process component.  

Like Dylan said there is a lot of room for people to abuse the law.  

I think if they can make the process simple, like a small claims court situation, and keep it within maybe a 30 day time period, I think most gun owners can live without their guns for a short time.  I know I could.  It though would be very inconvient.

They need to include psychoanalysis test given by a psychiatrist or psychologist  for free to the person who's guns were taken away.  If the person passes the results could be handed to a judge for immediate release of the weapons back to their owners.

There should also be a penalty for false reports.

There have been cases where a psychologist and parents have gone to the police begging for the police to remove weapons from their patient/son because he had expressed wanting to kill people and the psychiatrist stated he told him he had a hit list.  The police did dispatch officers to the mans residence and the officers spoke with him and couldn't find anything wrong with him.  He appeared to them as being normal and without any direct evidence in front of them there was nothing they could do.  So they left the man with his guns.

A week later he carried out his threats and I can't really remember but he ended up shooting I think 4 people before he was stopped.  I don't believe he actually killed anyone but it wasn't from a lack of trying.  After that incident they inacted a red flag law.

So maybe the inconvience of someone having their guns temporarily removed and having to pass a psych exam to get them back is something that we can live with for the greater good.
    Dylan
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5947 Pts   -  
    I do not see anything wrong with the ability to make the petition. I do not think, however, that the judge should use personal view to decide whether the firearm should be expropriated, and instead should based his/her judgement on the existing set of laws.

Make it work like private arbitration, not like authoritarian court with the defendant having no rights.
    Zombieguy1987
  • jesusisGod777jesusisGod777 115 Pts   -  
    Supressing a military power begins by controlling access to munitions.

You shouldn't be worried about them taking away your guns.

A starving gun owner doesn't pose a threat.

Jesus is Lord.