frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Debate=change one's mind?

Debate Information

Can debate effectively change people's mind? After seeing many debates, I came to a conclusion that debate is not that effective in changing people's mind. What is your thought?
Dr_Maybe

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• BrainSocksBrainSocks 39 Pts   -  
    Debaters often feel strongly about their side, and are mentally stubborn about changing it.

However, being open to hearing out another side and accepting it as an option is still beneficial to the mind and branches it out with new ways of thinking.
    대왕광개토SkepticalOne
  • Debaters often feel strongly about their side, and are mentally stubborn about changing it.

However, being open to hearing out another side and accepting it as an option is still beneficial to the mind and branches it out with new ways of thinking.
    I believe thay debate is not an effective tool to change people's own viewpoints. However, I think that debate is necessary because it can debunk false ideas and stop them from spreading like a virus.
    BrainSocksLogicalThinker
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1833 Pts   -  
    Let me ask you something, what are the chances you'll change your mind about something you're debating?  A person enters into a debate about something they've spent time researching, or at least considering, and have formed fairly strong opinions.  Changing such a person's mind is an extremely difficult task, it's not something you should count on to rate the success of a debate.  The best you can reasonably hope for is by posting solid rational arguments, you may be able to affect people who are interested in the topic and are reading the thread but haven't come to a conclusion.
    대왕광개토
  • CYDdharta said:
    Let me ask you something, what are the chances you'll change your mind about something you're debating?  A person enters into a debate about something they've spent time researching, or at least considering, and have formed fairly strong opinions.  Changing such a person's mind is an extremely difficult task, it's not something you should count on to rate the success of a debate.  The best you can reasonably hope for is by posting solid rational arguments, you may be able to affect people who are interested in the topic and are reading the thread but haven't come to a conclusion.
    I agree with your claim that debate can hardly change the debaters' minds. Well, the chance I will change my viewpoint about topics I am debating depends on whether my claim is based on delusional/false evidence. If my viewpoint differs from that of my opponent but is totally valid, I would not simply change my mind. However, if the debate in which I am participating debunks the evidence/idea on which I base my claim as false, then I would probably change my mind unless there is any way to defend my position. I think that debate is useful for several reasons. Firstly, a debate can debunk false ideas that could have spread and deceived people while being unchecked. Secondly, a debate can make the debaters improve their claims/reasoning. Lastly, a debate can make people who are watching it reconsider their thoughts and therefore prevent them from being too biased. So these three reasons make me consider a debate to be quite useful. Of course I think that a debate also has bad sides. A debate can be won by someone who simply has better reasoning skills and rhetorics. If that happens, some people will see that winner as the one with correct idea, which is not correct. Anyway, I think that the positive effects of a debate overwhadows the negative consequences of it. 
    MichaelElpers
  • WinstonCWinstonC 235 Pts   -  
    In a debate, it's painful to publicly admit you're wrong, especially when you strongly espoused another view moments before, so most people don't admit it, despite realizing it.. Many times I have debated people in my personal life on an issue then weeks later I overhear them giving my opinion as if it was their own. Moreover, many times I have discussed things and had my own mind changed by exposure to new information.
    대왕광개토
  • WinstonC said:
    In a debate, it's painful to publicly admit you're wrong, especially when you strongly espoused another view moments before, so most people don't admit it, despite realizing it.. Many times I have debated people in my personal life on an issue then weeks later I overhear them giving my opinion as if it was their own. Moreover, many times I have discussed things and had my own mind changed by exposure to new information.
    True, it is embarrassing for a debater to admit that his viewpoint on an issue discussed is wrong in front of many people. However, I think that debaters should not give too much weight on embarrassment so as to deny the flaws in their arguments/ideas.
    WinstonC