frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

What do you think the success of life or careers are always depended on graduation certificate?

Debate Information

I think it isn't always because of the graduation certification not need or imply to the success in all life. We will be successful and achieve the goal in our life, but we have to work hard and use own abilities to drive our life better.    
PHaze

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• 대왕광개토대왕광개토 235 Pts   -  
    I agree with you. Graduation certificate is no more than a paper that makes you get jobs more easily than those who don't have it. Once you start your career, many factors, including your ability, family, friendship, health, luck, passion and etc, will determine your success. 
    Kanokwan97PHaze
  • Kanokwan97Kanokwan97 4 Pts   -  
    I wondered some careers must need a graduation certificate that relates to that work for applying, but grading in the certificate may not always be guaranteed how your all of potentiality is. It makes people who want to apply this work but no certificate, they have limited the opportunity doing work. 
    PHaze
  • MattGouldMattGould 52 Pts   -  
    not necessarily, success in life is not completely dictated by a degree or a diploma of any kind. However, I will say personally, I do not regret going to college and getting a quality education. It was one of the best times of my life simply because of the amount of subjects and new things that I learned. However, I will say that not everyone needs nor is the type of person who is capable of going and completing upper education. It's just not for some people and others like Bill Gates, didn't really need it. So it's all up to you as an individual I suppose.
    "If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking...is freedom."-Dwight D. Eisenhower

"It is not strange...to mistake change for progress."-Millard Fillmore

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities."-Ayn Rand

"To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable."-Barry Goldwater

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5971 Pts   -  
    Certification states that the person has gone through a rigorous training program and has demonstrated the ability to work in the field, or, at least, to learn the necessary skills to later work in the field. It is not just a piece of paper, it is the evidence of certain accomplishments.

However, it is important to recognise that college activities are very different from the real work. There is a reason why private companies are usually hesitant of hiring fresh graduates: they do not know how well they will be able to apply their skills to the real work environment. In undergraduate programs, people are given well crafted assignments that typically have the "right" answer and a methodology that allows one to arrive at them. In real life, however, assignments often have no answer, and it is up to you to come up with one, or, at least, move a bit in the direction of one. It is a very different type of work, one that cannot be accomplished by following a manual.

As such, I tend to view undergraduate studies as incomplete, as an introduction into the field. To really become a professional, you have to go further and do Master's studies, or, if you are bold enough, then PhD studies. Those programs actually prepare you to working in the real world, and you generally work on realistic problems which nobody knows how to solve, and it is up to you to find a way to solve them in the conditions of informational vacuum.

It is also important to pick the right major, the one that really excites you, and the one that offers some career perspectives. So many people take something that they view as easy and end up with non-marketable skills. If you choose to go study English literature, then it is fine, there is nothing wrong with it - but do realise that English literature knowledge is only useful in very specific types of work, and do not expect to magically get a 6-digit salary upon graduation just because you hold that degree. If you are not planning to actually study English literature for a living, then perhaps you should choose a different major. There are majors that pretty much guarantee a successful career: CS, engineering, law, applied math, etc. But, again, you should not choose a major simply because it will bring you a lot of income; you should choose a major that actually excites you. If you cannot stand engineering, but choose to pursue the engineering major because of the salaries engineers tend to receive, then you will be miserable as an engineer and, likely, eventually leave the field.

I made a mistake over 10 years ago, when I choose a physics major over a math one, and I have regretted it ever since. I am now transitioning to mathematics, essentially starting from scratch. If you do not want to spend 11 years of your life like that pursuing something that you do not like, only to switch the field to what you really are passionate about, then you have to take the choice of the major very seriously. Maybe take a year or two off, read some books, visit some companies, talk to some people working in the fields that are of interest to you. You need to know what you are signing up for. Do not watch something interesting on National Geographic about stars and decide, "Okay, I want to be an astronomer". Ask yourself, "If I am going to work in this field for the next 30 years, is there a chance I will get sick of it?" If the answer is yes, then you might need to reconsider.

Finally, having a degree is not at all necessary to make a stellar career. You can become a great programmer without a CS or applied math degree: all the materials you need are publicly available. The purpose of the degree is not really to teach you; you can teach yourself. It is to immerse you in the field, to help you build connections with various individuals and companies, to get you in touch with the professionals who will accelerate your progress. If you go to college, but only do the bare minimum to get a degree and do not use all the opportunities you are getting, then you might as well have stayed home. Go to college and work for 4, 6, 10, 12 years on your skills as a madman/madwoman, then impress employers on interviews with your amazing achievements and get a job few other people can get - and that is how you make your degree pay for itself.
    PHaze