frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Is Infinity Getting Bigger? I do not believe it can so convince me of why?

Debate Information

I have always been intrigued, at the very idea of how infinity goes on without end, but just because it never ends does this mean it is forever expanding?
I believe that infinity is not expanding, everything within it surly is moving to even dark matter, but infinite space itself cannot be growing, because for it to expand it would have to move into itself thus defeating the whole argument.
I believe that infinity is static and simply exists and nothing more.
Convince me otherwise or share your own ideas about the subject at hand.
Should be a very interesting topic to discuss surly.
Cheers

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• I'm a little confused as to why you think our universe is infinite. This is a faulty premise in your argument...
    Haydn_E_Sheldon
    A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    No it’s not getting bigger from what I’ve learned anyway , it has always been infinite. At the Big Bang, it was infinitely dense. Since then it has just been getting less dense as space has expanded.
    Haydn_E_SheldonPlaffelvohfen
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    @Haydn_E_Sheldon

You seems to be conflating Infinity and Universe... Infinity is a mathematical concept, the Universe is the entirety of physicality (all of space , time and their content), 2 very different things... 

So when you ask: Is infinity getting bigger? It doesn't make any sense... 
    Haydn_E_Sheldon
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6021 Pts   -   edited November 2019
    Consider the set of all integers: 0, 1, -1, 2, -2 and so on. Take the following set of numbers:
    0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,.... you get the idea.

Now multiply each of those numbers by 2. 
    0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, ...

You could say that the second set is the first set, expanded by a factor of 2. Yet it is still as much an infinite set as the previous one. The sequence never reaches the end.

See, it is possible for infinity to "expand into itself", without breaking anything. Alternatively,  you could say that infinity does not really expand and, instead, it is use with shrinking perspective, making the infinity appear expanding. Both are equivalent formulations of the same phenomenon, different only by the frame of reference.
    The difference is the same as between saying "2 is twice as big as 1" and "1 is twice as small as 2". Both are exactly equivalent statements, just put differently.

This is something to understand about the Universe: everything in it depends on the frame of reference. Whether you stay put on Earth or move at nearly the speed of light with regards to it; whether you measure expansion of space, or shrinkage of you in it - you are watching the same Universe, just modelled in different ways. Nothing in the Universe changes, only your perspective does.
    Haydn_E_Sheldon
  • Me efforts.....

Infinity gets bigger, why? 

All new area’s must be added to establish it is never ending and vast.

• @Plaffelvohfen You are correct I should have phrased the question as the The universe not infinity itself.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • @SkepticalOne Once again my mistake in the way I worded the question I should have referred to using The universe not infinity itself in my question.
    My mistake oops their goes the whole universe up in one big bang! lol

PlaffelvohfenSkepticalOne