frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Death Penalty In The USA

Debate Information

Position: For
The death penalty should be in the US due to its efficient role in our judicial system. 
Tyler_TolvanenMauricioAsianFries

Debra AI Prediction

For
Predicted To Win
56%
Likely
44%
Unlikely

Details +

Debate Type: Traditional Debate

Voting Format: Moderate Voting

Opponent: ZeusAres42

Rounds: 3

Time Per Round: 24 Hours Per Round

Voting Period: 24 Hours

Forfeited

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: For
    blooperblooper 5 Pts   -  
    The death penalty is a important part of our judicial system. If someone kills twenty people with a gun. It would be unreasonable for people to think that it would be a safe and good idea to keep him alive. If the death penalty were to be removed the primary consequences on our judicial system for serious crimes would no longer be there and it would increase the number of people willing to do such things. The people who did such things could also do the thing they do again if they were to get out of jail.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • Round 1 | Position: Against
    I am going to take the position of being against. I would just like to make it clear though, that I am opposed to capital punishment. I have no issue, however, with the immediate elimination of imminent threats to national security such as terrorist threats. The motivation behind terminating terrorist threats is not one of anger, fear, revenge, nor wanting justice; it's simply to protect oneself and others around, as well as for the benefit of the entire nation as a whole.
    The death penalty is a important part of our judicial system. If someone kills twenty people with a gun. It would be unreasonable for people to think that it would be a safe and good idea to keep him alive. If the death penalty were to be removed the primary consequences on our judicial system for serious crimes would no longer be there and it would increase the number of people willing to do such things. The people who did such things could also do the thing they do again if they were to get out of jail.
    Rebuttals:

1. It would actually be unreasonable for anyone not to consider the motivation behind the crimes being committed. In the example regarding the mass shooting, the defendant could be bound by some serious mental illness.

2. We have zero evidence as to if the elimination of the death penalty would increase the number of crime rates in the USA. That being said, there are multiple countries across the globe that have a lower crime rate than the US and do not have capital punishment. The following comprises a list of countries with crime rates and countries that use the death penalty: http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/crime-rate-by-country/

Postulations:
    1. To my knowledge, there is no court in the world that is based on deductive reasoning; it's all inductive which allows the possibility of the conclusion to be false, even though there may very well be strong premises to support the conclusion. As a result of this reasoning, many innocent people have been sentenced to death in the past. If it was based on deductive reasoning such as the case with mathematics then we can be assured with complete certainty that there is no possibility of the conclusion being false.
    2. We are mere mortals that have not been given any god-given right to determine the destiny of another individual.
    3. Once a supposed perpetrator has been executed that does nothing to take back what the supposed perpetrator has done.
    4. From a subjective point of view, once a supposed perpetrator has been executed they are then at peace, while the victims continue to suffer. In this case, it could be considered that sentencing the perpetrator to death is too kind.

Based on these points as well as the rebuttals mentioned beforehand I think that capital punishment is not a reasonable and justified solution.

AmericanFurryBoyPlaffelvohfenpiloteer

• Round 2 | Position: Against
    Sorry, I think that you cannot post again until I have posted here. So, this is basically just a bumping of the post. Thanks.