frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

At Which Age Kids Should Start Wearing Braces?

Debate Information

Greetings!

With the use of candies, chocolates, sugary drinks and junk food etc, parents are already struggling hard to maintain proper dental care of kids. Especially when it is about the kids from 5-8 years with the braces. I am not sure how kids who brush their teeth with the help of parents or in the supervision of moms would able to keep a better oral hygiene. That's why I think it is better to put braces after the age of 13 but my sister doesn't agree with me who is also a mother of 8 years old girl. She just want her girl to start wearing braces from now to get better results. In this regard, we found this article https://pvpd.com/when-should-you-consider-braces/ that refers to start considering orthodontics at the age of 7. 

I also found this article https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/braces/expert-answers/dental-braces/faq-20058192 to support my argument which is about the use of braces from 8 to 14 years. What are your thoughts in this regard? Secondly, my concern is about the oral health. I don't think with the use of candies, cookies, cakes etc, is it possible for kids with braces to take better care of oral and dental health? Especially, I am worried about the brushing. Do you think brushing is possible with braces? 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1712 Pts   -  
    Commonly, what happens with braces is that parents' desire for their kids to have perfect teeth gets in the way of what the children really need and what the experts would say. As a result, braces are often given out prematurely or when they are not needed. The title of the debate comes with an assumption that all children should have braces. Why? It is not vital that kids should have perfect teeth later in life. As long as they can eat easily and the positioning of their teeth does not cause any major inconveniences, there is no need for braces in most cases.
    BonitaVanhooserRS_master
  • The title of the debate comes with an assumption that all children should have braces. Why? It is not vital that kids should have perfect teeth later in life. As long as they can eat easily and the positioning of their teeth does not cause any major inconveniences, there is no need for braces in most cases.
    I know all kids don't need to wear braces but I am only trying to refer the kids who have issues with teeth. 
  • RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    The age usually depends on who the kid is. If the kid has clean and straight teeth then he should wear them later or not wear them. If he has teeth in very irregular positions then he should wear them at the age of about 11.
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1712 Pts   -  
    @BonitaVanhooser
    I acknowledge that, but kids are often misdiagnosed as having issues with their teeth when they do not and this is my point.
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1712 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    @BonitaVanhooser
    I believe that if a child does genuinely have issues with their teeth, they should not be given treatment until all their teeth have finished growing. I will be backed up by the majority of UK dental professionals and orthodontists here.