frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

is it good for the child?

2»

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    that has little if nothing to do with my question.  is it good for the child? is it good for the child to be adopted by a gay couple rather than a straight couple if all other things such as income, town, size of school and so on are fairly equal> and is it fair to the child to be subjected to such a life style when it would heavily influence the child and even if the child did not grow up gay, the child would most certainly be strongly affected by it and may have a hard time adjusting to a straight form of life?@Plaffelvohfen
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    @maxx

It has a lot to do with the question, it shows how absurd it is to ask the question...

And, yes, it's as good as a straight couple, or a black couple or blond haired couple. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with good or bad parenting.
    smoothie
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    actually there is a huge difference between the two life styles aside from sexuality. for lack of profiling there are different wardrobe styles(in general) it might bhttps://www.huffpost.com/entry/gay-mens-relationships-ten-ways-they-differ-from_b_57950dd0e4b0b3e2427c9022e better if I post a link. at least quicker.@MayCaesar
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    actually there is a huge difference between the two life styles aside from sexuality. for lack of profiling there are different wardrobe styles(in general) it might bhttps://www.huffpost.com/entry/gay-mens-relationships-ten-ways-they-differ-from_b_57950dd0e4b0b3e2427c9022e better if I post a link. at least quicker.@MayCaesar
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    oh I believe it is a fair question.  it is not about how well they can raise a child, it is how they raise the child in a gay lifestyle, which may cause huge psychological problems alone.  I said from the child point of view.  even if he grows up straight , just by the impact of being raised in a gay home would have conflicting thoughts on how to adjust to society as well as peer pressure, bullies and ridicule.  If you think it is absurd to ask a question about the future welfare of a child who more-than-likely would have grown up straight, being taken into a completely different world, then by all means, think it. below the age of 6, the child has an even chance of being gay as he grows up just by daily influence. 6-10 , especially if the child remembers his true parents, would cause huge issues just trying to adjust to a lifestyle change and anything older than that would be sheer folly @Plaffelvohfen
    Plaffelvohfensmoothie
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    oh I believe it is a fair question.  it is not about how well they can raise a child, it is how they raise the child in a gay lifestyle, which may cause huge psychological problems alone.  I said from the child point of view.  even if he grows up straight , just by the impact of being raised in a gay home would have conflicting thoughts on how to adjust to society as well as peer pressure, bullies and ridicule.  If you think it is absurd to ask a question about the future welfare of a child who more-than-likely would have grown up straight, being taken into a completely different world, then by all means, think it. below the age of 6, the child has an even chance of being gay as he grows up just by daily influence. 6-10 , especially if the child remembers his true parents, would cause huge issues just trying to adjust to a lifestyle change and anything older than that would be sheer folly @Plaffelvohfen
    @maxx

Being gay IS NOT A LIFESTYLE ... Why do you keep on repeating this fallacy??? You whole premise is flawed, snap out of it!!
    smoothie
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    being gay in itself is not a life style, but the life they lead is. @Plaffelvohfen
    PlaffelvohfenDeesmoothie
    @maxx

That's one of the most ludicrous comment you posted... 
    Deesmoothie
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @Plaffelvohfen

****** That's one of the most ludicrous comment you posted... 

I agree and I put it at the number one spot out of the many ridiculous comments he makes @maxx
    Plaffelvohfen
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    perhaps if you understood the main differences in how many gays live among straights in todays society you would know it is different than the way those who are not gay live. gays have more social pressure, more money issues, different idealisms , different sexual orientations, and a different way at looking at their own life than non gays. when all of these differences are added together( many which I have not written) it adds up to a life style; ie, it is a way of living, just the same as hill billys so to speak. it is a style of life that they choose to live. Life style, a way in which a person or group lives.  I am not sure where you get your definition from.  religious people have a different life style than atheists and so on. however one may decide to live with-in a particular group(s), such as gays, will create different morals, different values and different ideas of living, in which constitute a life style@Plaffelvohfen
    Plaffelvohfen
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    perhaps you understand the main differences in how many gays live among straights in todays society. it is different than the way those who are not gay live. gays have more social pressure, more money issues, different idealisms , different sexual orientations, and a different way at looking at their own life than non gays. when all of these differences are added together( many which I have not written) it adds up to a life style; ie, it is a way of living, just the same as hill billys so to speak. it is a style of life that they choose to live. Life style, a way in which a person or group lives.  I am not sure where you get your definition from.  religious people have a different life style than atheists and so on. however one may decide to live with-in a particular groups, such as gays, will create morals, different values and different ideas of living, in which constitute a life style@Plaffelvohfen
    Plaffelvohfen
    @maxx

Well, I'll just move you now with TKDB, John_C and RickeyD in the "not worth talking to" folder... Hope you'll have fun together.
    ZeusAres42
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    fine by me.  I forgot how old and dogmatic that you were.  you never even tried to answer the question as I wrote it on is it good for the child having to be psychologically  affected  by a complete change in a way of living.  at what age would you consider a child not to be psychologically affected by it? certainly not puberty. under 6, they probably would grow up gay; gay people choose to be gay therefore it is a style of life; unless you think there is a gay gene.@Plaffelvohfen
    PlaffelvohfenZeusAres42
    @maxx

I did answer : YES it is good, from age 0 to their death... As good as any good straight parents.

This idea that children are "psychologically affected" is debunked idiotic nonsense that has no ground to stand on...

"they probably would grow up gay".... Demonstrating the abysmal depth of your ignorance on the matter....

• maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    how many studies can you come up with on the long term affects of adoptive children with a gay couple.  you know as well as I do, that these studies have to span a good 15 plus years among many different children, so you actually do not have any evidence to back your reasoning uo any more than I do. @Plaffelvohfen
    Plaffelvohfen
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6048 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    @maxx

So you believe that societal discrimination is a valid reason to try to reduce the likelihood of people becoming gays? This is a very spineless position. 
    Plus, discrimination in the Western society nowadays in this regard is very minimal. I have met a lot of gays and lesbians, and even some trans people, throughout my life here in the US, and all of them had full lives. Nobody complained about systematic discrimination.

I have yet to understand what you mean by "gay lifestyle", and how it is allegedly inferior to "straight lifestyle" or whatever you call it. As far as I know, gays eat the same food as me, speak the same language as me, work the same jobs as me, go to the same national parks on weekends as me - and the only difference between us is what happens when we lay down naked with another human adult.
    smoothiePlaffelvohfenZeusAres42
  • smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -  

Are you against black and mixed-race parents for a white child as well? The child could learn black behaviors and get discriminated against by society, oh no no no only pure-white parents for orphans /s
    PlaffelvohfenDeeZeusAres42
    why so serious?
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @smoothie

@Maxx is another of the site nuts who believes in the supernatural and thinks they had T V in a world called Atlantis so this latest piece of bigotry comes as no surprise 
    smoothiePlaffelvohfen
  • MartinGocicMartinGocic 57 Pts   -  
    @maxx
    Never,if the parents are same-sex then the child will develop mental handicaps.
    PlaffelvohfenZeusAres42smoothie
    @MartinGocic

Then I guess you have same-sex parents...
    ZeusAres42smoothie
  • smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -  
    @MartinGocic please back up your bigoted and ignorant claims or you are trolling
    why so serious?
  • What's good for a child has nothing to do with whether or not the parents are gay.

Furthermore, even if there was a study (hypothetically speaking) that there were a bunch of children bought up by gay parents turned out to be gay doesn't say anything about what caused them to be gay. Simply put correlation is not causation.

• What's good for a child has nothing to do with whether or not the parents are gay.

Furthermore, even if there was a study (hypothetically speaking) that there were a bunch of children bought up by gay parents turned out to be gay doesn't say anything about what caused them to be gay. Simply put correlation is not causation.
    Plaffelvohfensmoothie

• maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    the question once again, is it good for the child to grow up un a gay family who has different values, morals, different social status, sexual orientation, and so on and so on, when if all things being equal, the child would be better off be adoptive by non gays, especially since the majority of children grow up straight. I am talking about the psychological issues that come from living in a different type of behavioral life that is genetically different than what he/she would probably grow up into; the peer pressure alone would cause heavy mental issues. yes, it is about the child, not on how well a gay couple may perform as parents.  for example, Nazis ( for lack of a better example at the moment) may be great parents; however, just the influence they may have with the child through day-to-day life can easily contribute to a behaviorism to growing up strongly racist. just as the same a gay couple, may lead to the child by daily impact to grow up gay when they may genetically be proposed to grow up straight, and these conflicting issues will lead to many mental problems in the  life of the child@ZeusAres42
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    the question once again, is it good for the child to grow up un a gay family who has different values, morals, different social status, sexual orientation, and so on and so on, when if all things being equal, the child would be better off be adoptive by non gays, especially since the majority of children grow up straight. I am talking about the psychological issues that come from living in a different type of behavioral life that is genetically different than what he/she would probably grow up into; the peer pressure alone would cause heavy mental issues. yes, it is about the child, not on how well a gay couple may perform as parents.  for example, Nazis ( for lack of a better example at the moment) may be great parents; however, just the influence they may have with the child through day-to-day life can easily contribute to a behaviorism to growing up strongly racist. just as the same a gay couple, may lead to the child by daily impact to grow up gay when they may genetically be proposed to grow up straight, and these conflicting issues will lead to many mental problems in the  life of the child@ZeusAres42
    Plaffelvohfen
  • maxx said:
    Being nazi parents is a false analogy. Being Gay is not some kind of ideology being imposed on the child to adopt.

• maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    then what do you call the idealism of being gay is?
    @ZeusAres42
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6048 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    @maxx

What specifically do you refer to by the term "idealism of being gay"? Is it functionally different from, say, "idealism of being straight"?
    ZeusAres42Plaffelvohfen
  • maxx said:
    @ZeusAres42
    I don't. Also I didn't mention the word idealism in my previous post.

• maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    just as you believe in a human made concept? in which by the way, I seemed to prove by logic alone as no such thin for you failed to answer my last post, therefore you lost@Dee
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    just as you believe in a human made concept? in which by the way, I seemed to prove by logic alone as no such thin for you failed to answer my last post, therefore you lost@Dee
    Plaffelvohfen
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    @maxx

***** just as you believe in a human made concept? 

What are you raving about?

****in which by the way, I seemed to prove by logic alone

Logic to you is believing they had T V in Atlantis because your hero Cayce said so 

****as no such thin for you failed to answer my last post, therefore you lost@Dee

Listen your stupidity had been pointed out by several people on this thread no one looses to you.

You’re a narrow minded bigot own it 
    Plaffelvohfen
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1124 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar. The point wouldnt be that people cant grow up and be successful with a single parent, but that the statistical liklihood drops.  It has been shown that having a father and mother is thr best environment for a child.  In fact having two parents is said to be the single biggest advantage in making a child successful as an an adult.
    In regards to this post i believe they should be able to because

1. Its better than having 1 or no parents and

2. I dont think we necessarily think we should condemn certain groups of people and using identity politics rather than  viewing individuals.  There are ways we could prevent crimes by locking up certain people exhibiting certain parameters but we cant take there rights away just because the risk may be higher.
    maxxMayCaesarsmoothiePlaffelvohfen
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    actually that is one of the better arguments here; a child need and requires both a mother and a father@MichaelElpers
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    actually that is one of the better arguments here; a child need and requires both a mother and a father@MichaelElpers
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -  
    whatever you overweight drunk,  probably ugly as well in which you prove with no picture, you   believe in a human made concept which only exists in your mind  @Dee
    smoothie
  • maxxmaxx 1135 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    whatever you overweight drunk,  probably ugly as well in which you prove with no picture, you   believe in a human made concept which only exists in your mind  .  prove me wrong by going back to are you lucky and answer my last post with out (so what)    you can not.  no brain   go ahead. return to are you lucky and reply to my last comment, with logic and no insults and with a bit of intelligence in regard with the comment.  let us not argue it here; go back to the original post
    @Dee
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6048 Pts   -  
    @MichaelElpers

Statistically, that may be true - however, statistics is not something applying to individual cases, and we are talking about the child in this thread, a specific kid who is looking for parents who would adopt him/her. I do not see statistics as relevant in this case.

If we are to judge the expected quality of the adopting parents by pure statistics, we will have to conclude that, for example:
    1. White parents are better than Black parents, and Asian parents are better than White parents.
    2. Parents with Masters or PhD degrees are better than parents without them.
    3. Rich parents are better than poor parents.
    4. Engineer parents are better than high school teacher parents.
    I do not think it right to form a lot of expectations based on one or a few superficial data points. We would need to know who the parents are as individuals to give a more or less accurate assessment. The OP here asked a few times the following question: "All other things equal, is it better to have parents of one gender, or parents of different genders?" The answer, in my view, is no, because "all other things equal" already takes care of all the relevant statistics, and we are now talking about parents of exactly the same quality. And while there may be some psychological effects I am not aware of making parents of different genders preferable, I seriously doubt those effects are not negligible.
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1124 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar. Sure i agree with you that they should be allowed to adopt because it is better than not having any parents and agree that you have to look at people as individuals and not as whole and part of a statistic.  I do think it is preferrable because mothers and fathers just by biology generally can give children two different sides of the coin when it comes to parenting and being a role model. I think by stats this can be shown to be true, but again i do agree that doesnt mean you can keep people from becoming parents.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @maxx

**** whatever you overweight drunk,  probably ugly as well in which you prove with no picture,

Typical Mad Maxx “Logic “ no profile image means one is an overweight , ugly , drunk .......You could have said homosexual as well or black seeing as you’re a racist and a homophobe 

****you   believe in a human made concept which only exists in your mind 

Do I? Again you seem to think that making up things about people means it’s true , well it’s not.

You’ve been found out by the whole site to be a narrow minded bigot , your attempts at deflection are pathetic 
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @maxx

***** whatever you overweight drunk,  probably ugly as well in which you prove with no picture, you   believe in a human made concept which only exists in your mind 

Ahhh , all Butt Hurt that the site has seen your bigotry in action?

.  ***/prove me wrong by going back to are you lucky and answer my last post with out (so what)    you can not. 

Yet I beat your “argument “ in my first sentence 

****no brain  

Says the bigot and racist who believes they had T V sets in Atlantis 

****go ahead. return to are you lucky and reply to my last comment, with logic and no insults and with a bit of intelligence in regard with the comment.  let us not argue it here; go back to the original post

Read the first couple of lines that exposed your stupidly ( yet again ) and sulk away.

Its like this post 8 people have called you on your bigotry yet you deny everything you’re a vey silly petty man