frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Are homophobes gay themselves?

Debate Information

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    I see what you are doing here  ;)
    AlofRIYeshuaBought
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    A lot of people hate themselves, nothing unusual, I've seen even YOU go through the problem. You didn't call it that, but, it was kind of obvious. I don't do youtube or facebook so I didn't read your links. I have a couple of gays in my not TOO distant family, plus a couple friends. They are good people, a couple consider themselves "Christian" and don't care what other people think. That's good.

I like the quote under Happy Killbots post. Those who think like that do more for the world than those who question other people's lives. Good luck with YOUR problems. :love:
    Happy_Killbot
    That out of the way, I am going to criticize the study anyways for the following reasons:

The way it determined people were gay and lying about it was to flash subliminal messages for 35 milliseconds, then ask the people to fill in the blank (i . e. " K I _ _ ) to see if people became more violent over time.

That all seems a bit sketchy to me, especially with all the controversy around subliminal messages.

Second, they did 4 studies that only looked at college students, with an average of 160 participants, so about 640 participants. The percentage of the population that is homosexual is estimated to be about 4.5%, so we should expect to find around 30 homosexual individuals, and only that many data points.

That means we are trying to make a claim that effects hundreds of millions of people based on about 30.

The third critique is that the study doesn't necessarily draw the conclusions the young Turks claim it does. For example, we could interpret the results to indicate that homophobes react faster when it is subliminally suggested that they are gay themselves.

If I wanted to determine this, I don't think I would use their methodology, although without serious deliberation I am not sure what I would use.

Here is a link to the study:
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/04/120406234458.htm
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,

• YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    I see what you are doing here  ;)
    ;) 
    AlofRI said:
    A lot of people hate themselves, nothing unusual, I've seen even YOU go through the problem. You didn't call it that, but, it was kind of obvious. I don't do youtube or facebook so I didn't read your links. I have a couple of gays in my not TOO distant family, plus a couple friends. They are good people, a couple consider themselves "Christian" and don't care what other people think. That's good.

I like the quote under Happy Killbots post. Those who think like that do more for the world than those who question other people's lives. Good luck with YOUR problems. :love:
    I used to be self haing as well, until some progresives reached out to me.
  • all4acttall4actt 315 Pts   -  
    This a redicoulus assumption.  Not all people who against the Lgbti (I guess is what they are referring themselves to now verses LGBTQ. I don"t know I can't keep up with the ever changing politically correct terms) community are gay themselves.  This is just another tactic to try and shut down decending voices.

Don't get me wrong I don't have anything against LGBTI community.  Except when these types of tactics are used to try and shut down someones freedom of speach even if I disagree with what they have to say.
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    @YeshuaRedeemed ; Simply because a man or woman does not agree with sexual perversion, same-sex-unions, considers sex between two-men or sex between two-women to be immoral and believes that God's word condemns such conduct as a violation of our Creator's Covenant of Marriage does not make one a homophobe. If believing that anyone who finds LGBTQ behavior to be immoral is a latent homosexual makes you feel better about yourself, you are free to believe anything you desire.

Seeking justification for your sin against God and against your own body in sexual immorality will not find you grace or mercy in the Day of Judgment; if you desire an eternal relationship with God the Father, you must repent (STOP) of the immoral behavior and seek forgiveness by trusting in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Mediator for your sin. God the Father loves you and does not desire that you die in your sin (1 Timothy 2:24) but you must understand that you are NOT in charge, this is God's World and God's Laws prevail. Jesus Christ is the ONLY Way to find life in Eternity (John 14:6)...if you refuse to repent of your sin and you refuse to trust in Jesus Christ as Lord, you have no hope (John 8:24).

RickeyD said:
    @YeshuaRedeemed ; Simply because a man or woman does not agree with sexual perversion, same-sex-unions, considers sex between two-men or sex between two-women to be immoral and believes that God's word condemns such conduct as a violation of our Creator's Covenant of Marriage does not make one a homophobe. If believing that anyone who finds LGBTQ behavior to be immoral is a latent homosexual makes you feel better about yourself, you are free to believe anything you desire.

Seeking justification for your sin against God and against your own body in sexual immorality will not find you grace or mercy in the Day of Judgment; if you desire an eternal relationship with God the Father, you must repent (STOP) of the immoral behavior and seek forgiveness by trusting in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Mediator for your sin. God the Father loves you and does not desire that you die in your sin (1 Timothy 2:24) but you must understand that you are NOT in charge, this is God's World and God's Laws prevail. Jesus Christ is the ONLY Way to find life in Eternity (John 14:6)...if you refuse to repent of your sin and you refuse to trust in Jesus Christ as Lord, you have no hope (John 8:24).

Like I said, I am a Christian too. Judge not lest ye be judged.
    ZeusAres42Happy_Killbot
    @all4actt Being against LGBTQI+ and being a homophobe are two very distinct things, although it would be accurate to assume that homophobes are against them.

The only way someone can be silenced is to choose to silence themselves, especially on the internet.

If you have valid reasons to be for or against something, voice them. We don't live under an authoritarian regime.