frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is Christmas a pointless, and pathetic holidy.

Debate Information

Jesus was not even born on Christmas, so why bother, being miserable? I hate Christmas.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1123 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaRedeemed Whose making you miserable...also wheres your hatred towards other religious holidays.  
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6045 Pts   -  
    How can Christmas make you miserable? At most, you can just ignore it and go about your life as usual. There is nothing inherent about Christmas that affects your life in any way.

Personally, I love all the fancy decorations on the streets, and there are always some nice discounts at grocery stores. Other than that, Christmas does not affect me, and I do not celebrate it.
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaRedeemed ; Christmas is a holiday set-aside to celebrate the birth of the Lord Jesus Christ-Yeshua. In Jesus, there is freedom to celebrate the 25th of December or not...or celebrate any day or everyday if you choose. The Day is  irrelevant, the heart and obedience is what matters to our God.

• NeopesdomNeopesdom 157 Pts   -  
    @RickeyD

>>Christmas is a holiday set-aside to celebrate the birth of the Lord Jesus Christ-Yeshua.

This day was originally set aside to celebrate the Roman pagan sun god Sol Invictus. On 25 December AD 274, the Roman emperor Aurelian made it an official cult alongside the traditional Roman cults. It was taken over by the Catholics, with such changes as suited their abominable idolatry.

As for the word 'Christ-mas', it alone serves to associate the title of our blessed Lord with the abominable, Romanized, heathen mass! A shameful affair. Mass is not birth, but a death sacrifice. Saying 'Merry Christmas' is tantamount to saying 'Merry death of Christ'. Suspicion alert should be on red, whenever the world practices such things, for "all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of this world." (1 John 2:16)

Listen to what the Word of God says about such practices, "Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. (Jer. 10:2-3)

All elements of this unholy day are of heathen origin. Are we not warned in Scripture not to hold any special days apart from those for fellowship. But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and worthless elementary principles of the world, whose slaves you want to be once more? You observe days and months and seasons and years! I am afraid I may have labored over you in vain. (Gal 4:9-11)

Col 2:16:17 is referring to Jewish practices, not pagan celebrations, yet even those are but a shadow of what has now come. It would overall be best not to link the name of our Lord with heathen filth, "don’t put a new patch on an old garment", (Mat 9:16).

Everyday is for Christians a holy day unto the Lord. The fact that the world celebrates Xmas is a proof that it is not according to the will of God, "For the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be" (Romans 8:7) During Xmas the whole celebrating world glories in its shame, that God came into this world and the best they would give Him is a place with the animals.

God has not allowed us to know the time of the birth of His Son. It is not a birth that we are asked to remember. It is His death on the cross, His precious blood that paid for our sins, that we are told to remember, to glorify Him in all that He has done for us. As for Xmas, have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them", (Eph. 5:11).

Let every true Christian take his stand openly on the Lord's side, by having nothing to do with these festivities which are the inventions of Babylon. Christmas is not a Christian institution which the world has abused; it is a pagan institution in which Christians have been ensnared.

In any case it is also as you @RickeyD ;say, " In Jesus, there is freedom to celebrate the 25th of December or not...or celebrate any day or everyday if you choose. The Day is  irrelevant, the heart and obedience is what matters to our God."

Let us therefore separate ourselves from the world and seek to please the Lord in how we use our freedom to celebrate. Let us put new wine into new wineskins. Let us use this day and everyday to bring real truth to the world about Christ and what His death and resurrection means for all of us.

And if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain. (1 Cor. 15:14)

Thanks for all your posts @RickeyD, always a joy to read them. 
      “Never argue with an id'iot They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    Christmas is great for me anyway plenty of boozing ,gluttony ,  gifts , parties etc, etc , and that’s the very same reason the majority of Christians like it .....Yippee for Christmas......
  • IzniIzni 65 Pts   -  
    Although I don't celebrate xmas, I still like the holidays I get  :) and the free cakes. :cookie:
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    Who cares about Christmas, I celebrate Winter Solstice because : 

" Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "