frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Most modern religious preaching is entirely egotistical and not effective.

Debate Information

I would like to propose the argument that modern religious preaching, especially christian, is hardly effective at converting people. It only serves to inflate the preacher's ego.

Think about groups like Westboro Baptist, everybody thinks they are crazy and even the preachers themselves acknowledge it. They say they only preach because "otherwise god would punish you" or "it is our sole duty to preach god's message".

I believe that shouting and holding picket signs in front of an abortion clinic with dead fetuses, and having church gatherings at lgbt marches for the sole purpose to shout at everybody involved does not convert people to your cause, it only makes your position more laughable. Being angry and shouting does not convert people. Love and care would probably do better and they probably know that too. Their only purpose is pride and wanting to prove to themselves they are right in their religious beliefs.

People on this site like @RickeyD are prime examples. He puts everybody down and I believe his bible quoting and saying "god will punish you unless you agree with me" is a terrible tactic. It has turned me further and further away from christianity and into athiesm.

I honestly think these kinds of people are trolling at times because they are so involved in their position, but fail to get any of their points across without insulting the other person.
Happy_KillbotPlaffelvohfen
why so serious?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
    @smoothie ; Westboro Baptists are not Christians, they're cultic and believe that one must be a member of their "Church" in order to be saved. Westboro obviously despises the Jew; my Savior is a Jew from the Tribe of Judah in the flesh and God in the Spirit. Westboro denies salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ as being available to everyone...this is called "hyper-Calvanism" - a view that God has already selected - "elected" those who will be saved and everyone else is condemned to Hell...but the Holy Spirit has said...

This is good and pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, 4who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,…
    1 Timothy 2:3-5

I express no hate toward you, only Truth and warn you that living and dying as an unrepentant homosexual will result in a second death in Hell (John 8:24). If you're willing to espouse and defend your homosexuality in a debate forum on social media, don't fault me for telling you the Truth of Scripture because I disagree with your position as I am a Christian.

To remain silent about the sin of LGBTQ when same seeks justification, acceptance, glorification, would be an error on my part. Homosexuality is sin, it is destructive in our society and unless the homosexual STOPS living in immorality and seeks Jesus as Lord for the mediation of sin, they have no hope (John 3:36)! If you don't believe, that's on you...I will stand for the Truth of my Lord's edicts, His words and I will tell you what my Lord requires and what He has said.  If this offends you, mute me...I've muted you as well some time ago.

smoothie
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    Couldn't agree more. Honestly, I think if someone actually wanted to make as many atheists as possible, they should just do exactly what @RickeyD is doing, because it is just so over the top ridiculous, hateful, bigoted, and morally corrupt that only the Westboro Baptist can compare.

I mean, if someone came up to you and said: "7,000 years ago the world sprung into existence at the hand of a narcissistic autocrat, who by the way, demands you worship him or else he will torture you for all of eternity." You would assume they were telling a joke, but this is precisely what Christians are saying, and what is sad is they believe it. It's a F***ing Idea virus, taking up useful neural bandwidth for monotony.
    smoothiePlaffelvohfen
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
    @Happy_Killbot ; Without Jesus Christ as Lord in your life you will die in sin...this is Truth. You are living a lie in atheism; Jesus is our Creator and God the Father has a Plan for your life and this Earth and Eternity...you are naive and ignorant of this Plan because you have been taken captive by the stupidity of atheism and the obsessions of your flesh and in your arrogance you refuse to humble yourself and seek the Truth of Jesus as Lord and find life and healing and meaning in His Name.

smoothie
  • smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    RickeyD said:
    I express no hate toward you, only Truth and warn you that living and dying as an unrepentant homosexual will result in a second death in Hell (John 8:24). If you're willing to espouse and defend your homosexuality in a debate forum on social media, don't fault me for telling you the Truth of Scripture because I disagree with your position as I am a Christian.
    You have done far more than simply "disagree", you shout when nobody will listen to you and call people names. You have said in the past you would "run every athiest, socalist, sodomite" up to the Canadian border. You definitely have hate in you and you justify it with your religion. You do not accept differences and hate any other opposing views. This is why I made you an example in my argument.

You are egotistical and have too much pride, a sin in your religion. Same as these protestors.

Your style of argument does not belong in debate. Debate is formal and takes views from all sides. If you started calling people in congress mentally ill as your argument then you would be mocked. You shout your "truth" with the only primary source of evidence being your interpretation of the bible. This is a fallacy by any standard. https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/62/Blind-Authority-Fallacy

Happy_KillbotPlaffelvohfen
    why so serious?
    @RickeyD If it is truth then prove it.

That which can be expressed without evidence can be dismissed without question.

Oh, and if the bible counts as evidence then so does the Harry potter series, and any arguments you make from the bible will be retorted with quotes from this series.
    Plaffelvohfen
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,

@RickeyD If it is truth then prove it.

That which can be expressed without evidence can be dismissed without question.

Oh, and if the bible counts as evidence then so does the Harry potter series, and any arguments you make from the bible will be retorted with quotes from this series.

smoothie

• smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -   edited December 2019

This man is an extreme example of my argument. Hate like this brings hate and has no end result. To all the christians that want to preach like this and make a following..... GOOD LUCK!
    why so serious?
    @smoothie , that's @RickeyD s hero your mentioning.

It is pretty obvious that people like this have pushed away more Christians than it has converted.

smoothiePlaffelvohfen

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    Thankfully it doesn't happen where I live , American style Christianity seems to be very agressive and divisive and haters like @RickyD are what such forms of Christianity produces 

We should pity poor old Ricky as his rage is fuelled by his battle with booze and his denial of his homosexuality , when he condemns others his rage is actually at himself .....,He has my pity 
    smoothie
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    There was a time, up until approximately 200 years ago, when 99.99% of the human population was extremely, unbelievably poor, uneducated and ignorant about the world. Lost and unable to take care of themselves, people had no choice but to follow someone who will fill this gap in their lives, and organised religion fit perfectly into that gap.

Most modern preachers' mistake is that they assume that this strategy still works. But the world is quite different today; even in the poorest countries on Earth people mostly can feed themselves easily, and everyone older than 10 has scientific knowledge that was unavailable 200 years ago. People do not need fairy tales any more to keep their basic needs satisfied. Why would a kid be interested in hearing about demons and hell, when he/she can put on a virtual headset, travel to hell and kill those demons in Doom in person? That is far more fun, than reading some ancient book with vague descriptions of a place that nobody has ever seen.

There is still place for religion, but it would have to be modified in order to be of interest to people. Instead of coming from "if you do not repent, you will suffer", it should come from "you have everything you need, but our ideology can give you even more than that". It is no wonder that a very progressive version of Buddhism, for example, is becoming more and more popular: it promises to allow people to master their emotions and take their life to a new level, and it does not threaten them with consequences if they do not.

Christianity or Islam are not such religions; they rest on the fundamental assumption that following them is a necessity, rather than a desirable choice. This no longer resonates with people. We tend to dismiss "follow us or suffer" as a lousy sales pitch for the most gullible people, rather than a reasonable argument. These religions have not kept up with time and are likely to become inconsequential in 50-100 years.
    smoothie
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    It's their hell, they should burn in it! Religion is slavery.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    RickeyD said:
    @Happy_Killbot ; Without Jesus Christ as Lord in your life you will die in sin...this is Truth. You are living a lie in atheism; Jesus is our Creator and God the Father has a Plan for your life and this Earth and Eternity...you are naive and ignorant of this Plan because you have been taken captive by the stupidity of atheism and the obsessions of your flesh and in your arrogance you refuse to humble yourself and seek the Truth of Jesus as Lord and find life and healing and meaning in His Name.

People like you are why i hate religion, and especially Christians. I don't believe anymore.
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @smoothie

Where is your Video evidence to support your claims?

YouTube, as an example?

"I would like to propose the argument that modern religious preaching, especially christian, is hardly effective at converting people. It only serves to inflate the preacher's ego."

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaRedeemed

How do you know?

Have you seen their "hell?"

Have you personally seen any Religious individuals wearing any slave shackles? 

"It's their hell, they should burn in it! Religion is slavery."
  • smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -  
    why so serious?