frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Does God have a God?

Debate Information

If there is a god, does he have a god?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    Relevance
    • Favorite Answer

No, there cannot be anyone with authority over Jehovah God, whose will caused all things to come into existence. (Psa 83:18; Rev 4:11)

But then, thats leads to the obvious question...If God can't have a God (someone with authority over him), then how could Jesus be the Almighty God if he has someone with authority over him, even in Heaven?

“‘The one that conquers—I [Jesus] will make him a pillar in the temple of my God, and he will by no means go out [from it] anymore, and I will write upon him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem which descends out of heaven from my God, and that new name of mine." (Rev 3:12)

"For [God] “subjected all things under his feet.” But when he says that ‘all things have been subjected,’ it is evident that it is with the exception of the one who subjected all things to him. But when all things will have been subjected to him, then the Son himself will also subject himself to the One who subjected all things to him, that God may be all things to everyone." (1Cor 15:28)

"I [Jesus] am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God." (John 20:17).

...Show more
      Source(s): *sees Owltheati Princess* (((Surviving))) OvO
    • 1 decade ago

The Almighty God Jehovah does not have a God. He is, and always was, the highest and most powerful.

Whereas His son, Jesus Christ, he does have a God that he prays to.

Look at Matthew 26:36-39 this is where Jesus is in the garden of Gethsemane praying to his father, his God.

There are SO many places in the bible that show that Jesus recognized his father, Jehovah, as Almighty God.

I like 2 Corr 1:3 "Blessed be the God and Father OF our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of tender mercies and the God of all comfort.

Great question. It makes those who try to say that Jesus IS God think. Why would he pray to himself?

...Show more
    • Can Father have a Father?

Can Teacher have a Teacher?

The word "God" is just a title, so in effect yes. The answer would be different on what you place before (or after) the title "God".

Such as: Does Jehovah God have a God? No

Does God Almighty have a God? No

Does a mighty god have a God? Yes (Such as Jesus whom is referred to as a god states that he is returning to our and his God)

See, it's all about what you place before or after the title.

...Show more
      Source(s): Hears a familiar who who.... Owltheati King (((Tears))) Is Vot ready to give up her throne? (trying not to show ruffled feathers... jealousy is such a ugly birdie trait. ) Oh...Hold on, there is a lot of screeching going on down below. (((Vot)))
    • 1 decade ago

He is the Most High God.

• 1 decade ago

No, God does not have a God.

Source(s): *sees two owls above* (((Tears))) *looks suspiciously at other owl* ................ (((Surviving)))
    • 1 decade ago

God is the creator. Creator only creates, he is NOT created. That's basic logic. God always existed. Your tiny little brain can't comprehend this because it was created by the creator after all and the creator (God) didn't give your little brain the ability to think beyond that. Make sense?

Source(s): Common sense.
    • 1 decade ago

No God don't have a God. I had that question also but i read in the bible John chapter 1:1 verse It explains why there can't be anything b4 God. It says in the beginng was the WORD and the word is GOD. So Existist couldn't Exist b4 the WORD Existist. And God is the word Existist. It's weird you have to read it over and over and the you will be like OOOOOOO i get it now. God is the meaning of every word so try to think about something that existed b4 God without using "words". Read the Verse and read this over again and it will put you at ease.

It's took me a lonnngg time to fianlly get it.

...Show more
      Source(s): Bibile John 1:1
    • Anonymous
      1 decade ago

God is the Lord Most High.

He is the only God and therefore He does not have a God.

• Joel V
      Lv 7
      1 decade ago

It's the basic "If God created us, who created God?" question.

Only creations need a creator. God is not a creation, therefore He does not need a creator. He created space, time, and physics, so He is beyond them.

• If you mean "God" in the sense of someone who one worships or is one's creator, then no, God (Almighty, the Father) does not have a God.

However, Jesus said that he has a God. "

• According to the religious texts, God does not have a creator no. However, God as an abstract concept can be whoever you want God to be.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5971 Pts   -  
    I heard an interesting argument today from Oxford Union debates. Religious people tend to point at the complexity of the world around us and say, "This could not have happened naturally; it had to be created by someone, and that someone is god". However, the creator of this world has to be, at least, as complex as the world itself, otherwise it could not have created it, according to this logic. Hence the god itself had to be created by a being still more complex than it. So, yes, god does have to have a god - and, in fact, we get an infinite loop of gods, with each god having been created by a higher god.

This is not necessarily a contradiction, as complexity of gods may converge as we go higher and higher up in level - much like the series 1, 1+1/2, 1+1/2+1/4, 1+1/2+1/4+1/8, ... converges, even though each member is bigger than the previous one.

Now, this complexity argument in itself is wrong, as there is no logical reason for a complex word to arise from a complex design. In fact, very simple design can lead to a lot of complexity. You can see it with numerical cosmological simulations, where you set the initial conditions to be extremely simplistic (a random distribution of dark matter and gas particles in a box), yet the outcome after running the simulation for a while is a group of very sophisticated cosmological structures. Simple rules over time can lead to very complex results, and no intelligent design is needed for them to emerge.

However, even if it was right, the conclusion of the monotheistic people about the single god that created everything would be wrong.
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  
    From our understanding, there is always a cause for every effect.

Scientists built the Big Bang theory to provide an explanation of an effect without a cause.

Creationist's idea is that the ultimate cause of everything is an intelligent entity consistently entitled as "God".

Nevertheless, there is a constant loop of questions that needs to be answered.
    What is the cause's cause?
    Who is God's God?

The answer to these questions is no one knows, and we may never know the answers.

Now it comes down to what do you believe.
    Because there is absolutely no way to substantiate any of these questions.

I think we should continue to influence one another.
    I think it is wrong to hinder another person's belief.

Our belief drives us for greater learning.
    A person's reality is a reflection of their beliefs which inspires their imagination and determines their limitations.

If you feel that man has unlimited ability to grow then there should not be a limitation on our understanding of what occurred in the past.

• AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    GOD! SAVE ME FROM YOUR BELIEVERS!
    Sand
    @MayCaesar ; The World, the Universe, was created by Jesus Christ-Yeshua for a very specific purpose and the World and the Universe as we know it will be done away with via restructuring into a new Earth and a new Heavens when its purposes have been fulfilled. The Holy Spirit explains origin, meaning, morality, destiny, from The Genesis to The Revelation if one will listen to the Spirit of God.

@Sand ; If one possesses God's Spirit and diligently seeks Truth in prayer and study of the Scriptures, the Holy Spirit is the ONLY One who can reveal causation for the existence of matter and why God the Son, Jesus Christ-Yeshua, has created all things in accordance with the will and purposes of God the Father. If you are interested in causation for our existence, I explain this as succinctly as possible via the Holy Spirit's leading. See my article: "In the Beginning God - Why?" https://rickeyholtsclaw.com/2017/09/27/in-the-beginning-god-why/

• YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    The Triune God of the Bible worships himself, and only cares about himself, that's why I no longer believe. I think Jesus is a nice concept if He exists, but there are too many cruel Christians, and unanswered questions, for that to be possible.