frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Will aliens contact us?

Debate Information

Some say they already have, but the evidence is controversial. Do you think aliens will contact us?
  1. Live Poll

Do you think aliens will contact us?

7 votes
    1. Yes
      14.29%
    2. No
      85.71%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1715 Pts   -  
    My view is that aliens, if they are out there, will not contact us in the foreseeable future. My first point is that there are many ways of communicating, and the aliens will not know which one humans use. My next point is that if there is intelligent life out there, it's unlikely that they will have developed the necessary technology to communicate with us. They may be thousands of years behind or ahead in terms of technology, and the development of science is probably extremely unlikely. My final point is that if there were aliens in our Solar System, we probably would have noticed them by now, and a message from any further than that would take many millions of years to travel, and may get blocked or intercepted. 

In conclusion, I believe that aliens will not contact us in the foreseeable future, and even if they do, we will not be able to receive their message.
    Plaffelvohfensmoothie
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6049 Pts   -  
    Imagine that you land on a faraway planet and see ants walking around there. Are you going to contact them in any meaningful way? Most likely you will just walk over them and go about your business, maybe taking some of them with you for research.

This is pretty much how an alien race developed high enough to traverse multiple stellar systems would see us: as ants. What communication can they possibly have with us? At best, we are animals in the zoo for them, and at worst, annoying bugs to be squashed. They will not even recognise us as intelligent.

The Mass Effect scenario of a noble interstellar collective of races diplomatically inviting new civilisations into their ranks - is very unrealistic from the practical standpoint. Even if there is a very benevolent civilisation out there, it still would not be interested in communicating with those so far beneath them that they are not able to comprehend their basic ideas.
    I would like to be wrong, but I do not see how I can be. I agree with Stephen Hawking on this one: encountering an intelligent alien civilisation would be the worst news in the history of humanity, and probably would spell our imminent extinction.
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1715 Pts   -  
    MayCaesar said:
    Imagine that you land on a faraway planet and see ants walking around there. Are you going to contact them in any meaningful way? Most likely you will just walk over them and go about your business, maybe taking some of them with you for research.

This is pretty much how an alien race developed high enough to traverse multiple stellar systems would see us: as ants. What communication can they possibly have with us? At best, we are animals in the zoo for them, and at worst, annoying bugs to be squashed. They will not even recognise us as intelligent.

The Mass Effect scenario of a noble interstellar collective of races diplomatically inviting new civilisations into their ranks - is very unrealistic from the practical standpoint. Even if there is a very benevolent civilisation out there, it still would not be interested in communicating with those so far beneath them that they are not able to comprehend their basic ideas.
    I would like to be wrong, but I do not see how I can be. I agree with Stephen Hawking on this one: encountering an intelligent alien civilisation would be the worst news in the history of humanity, and probably would spell our imminent extinction.
    Very true. Either that or we will see them as ants. I agree that it is very unlikely that two intelligent races could be at the exact same point in technological evolution.
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    For aliens to visit us, they would first need to know we're here... 

The first clue aliens would have that we exist are radio waves, we've been broadcasting for a little over a hundred years now, so the "bubble" is about 200-240 light years around the earth... Sound impressive right?

Well, to put that in perspective, here's what a 200 Light year bubble looks like in our galaxy...

That little blue dot, is the entirety of our cosmic "footprint"...  The chances anyone is even aware of our existence are very, very slim...
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    @xlJ_dolphin_473 ; There are no aliens relevant to life in our Universe. I have no doubt that the Spiritual World does intrude on Time and those "unexplained" phenomena that are seen from time-to-time are life from another dimension (Eternity) that is far superior to this temporary realm of Time and infinitely more relevant. There is absolutely no reason for life on other planets because our God has created this Universe, Earth, mankind, for a very specific purpose and His plan includes the eradication of this Universe, Earth and Time as we know it when all things have been fulfilled (Revelation 21; 2 Peter 3:10). For an overview of God's Plan and His purposes for this Earth and why He created Time, life, see my article: In the Beginning God - Why? https://rickeyholtsclaw.com/2017/09/27/in-the-beginning-god-why/

Jesus said...

Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm."  John 18:36 (NASB)

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @RickeyD

****Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers 

Bwaaaaaaahahahahahaha this from the “Christian” who says build that wall or asks a homeless person is he /she a Christian before deciding whether to buy them a cheap meal ......You’re a raging hypocrite mate 
    Plaffelvohfen
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
    @Dee ; Every Nation must have borders if said Nation is to exist and the United States is a Constitutional Republic based on the rule of law; therefore, illegal immigration is just that....ILLEGAL.  America has the right to know who is crossing its borders and why.  I don't inquire about a person's standing with God before I provide them assistance or a gift...why do you lie?