frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Is God all powerful? Can He really do anything?

Debate Information

I say no. Have you ever heard of the book "When bad things happen to good people"? I read it when I was a teen. The author is a Jewish Rabbi who lost his daughter to a stroke. He said, and I now agree, that God is all good, but not all powerful. Think about it, for just one second. Can God create a rock so huge, He is unable to lift it? No one has that ability. God is not al powerful, and He never will be.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaRedeemed ; God is omnipotent...He can do anything that is possible to be done. God cannot create a four-sided triangle and a rock consists of matter which is finite and God is infinite; therefore, God has providence over matter and there is no "rock" that can be too large for God to manipulate as all things hold together by His power and dominion and He possess authority over all things in both Time and Eternity. It is not possible to create a rock so large that God cannot manipulate it because again, matter is finite. Your paradox does not negate God's omnipotence.

Relevant to the child that dies from a stroke or cancer or accident or abortion...God allows mankind free will to choose good or evil, love or hate, right or wrong...free will is essential for love and relationship to exist with authenticity; therefore, man chose to live in rebellion and rejection to God's Covenant of provision and protection; therefore, death entered into the World and the human genome was corrupted; therefore, we all die in this body (Romans 6:23)...including children. This has nothing to do with God's power and strength or love and everything to do with God's faithfulness Who warned man considering compromise with evil (Genesis 2:17).

Blastcat
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    Well, he can't even make me a believer, which should be really easy for a god right? So not that much of an omnipotent being... 
    smoothieAlofRI
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    To be fair, the argument that the god cannot create a stone he cannot lift is not a good argument against his omnipotence, as creating such a stone is a contradiction of terms. It is like saying that the god cannot draw a square circle, hence he is not omnipotent - while square circle cannot exist in principle.

Regardless, even if the god was omnipotent, humans would not be able to confidently say he is, because to conclude that a being is omnipotent, one has to observe the entire array of possible actions, which obviously is unfeasible. Can the god, for example, turn into a female hyena with wings, fly to the moon, turn it into a giant toad and get eaten by it? Unless someone observes him doing so, we cannot be sure that he can do it.

Also, if he was omnipotent, then his actions would truly be pathetic. To be omnipotent and to act in a way that nobody can say that he even exists? Hell, if I were omnipotent, I would make my presence known with my regular amazing creations. I would not sit doing nothing and care about some puny little beings on some green planet worshipping me.
    AlofRIBlastcat
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    With a little help from his believers, he can take over ones mind and create another believer. That's about it. The power isn't of a "god", it's the power of imagination.
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    I say no. Have you ever heard of the book "When bad things happen to good people"? I read it when I was a teen. The author is a Jewish Rabbi who lost his daughter to a stroke. He said, and I now agree, that God is all good, but not all powerful. Think about it, for just one second. Can God create a rock so huge, He is unable to lift it? No one has that ability. God is not al powerful, and He never will be.

When I see "God" lift a pebble, I'll believe. :astonished:
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    RickeyD said:
    @YeshuaRedeemed ; God is omnipotent...He can do anything that is possible to be done. God cannot create a four-sided triangle and a rock consists of matter which is finite and God is infinite; therefore, God has providence over matter and there is no "rock" that can be too large for God to manipulate as all things hold together by His power and dominion and He possess authority over all things in both Time and Eternity. It is not possible to create a rock so large that God cannot manipulate it because again, matter is finite. Your paradox does not negate God's omnipotence.

Relevant to the child that dies from a stroke or cancer or accident or abortion...God allows mankind free will to choose good or evil, love or hate, right or wrong...free will is essential for love and relationship to exist with authenticity; therefore, man chose to live in rebellion and rejection to God's Covenant of provision and protection; therefore, death entered into the World and the human genome was corrupted; therefore, we all die in this body (Romans 6:23)...including children. This has nothing to do with God's power and strength or love and everything to do with God's faithfulness Who warned man considering compromise with evil (Genesis 2:17).

If God is anything l you, I want nothing to do with Him. You are such a hateful hypocrite. You have no proof that God is all powerful. Go tell them to parents whose kids died waiting for allegedly all powerful God to work a miracle.
    ZeusAres42Blastcat
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    The humans on this planet, this planets solar system, the solar systems galaxy that we are a part of along with the other countless galaxies along with ours, some of humanity can only dream to be that creative and original, while some continue to question God in this or that sense, and ask can he really do anything?

It's funny, God isn't self hyping himself to gain attention from some of Humanity in general, but it's a reality check to see how some want to protest God, through the machine of the Internet, looking for the Religious individuals to Defend God, in merely trying to garner some attention, for the non Religious to use as fodder, for their non Religious arguments? 

"Is God all powerful? Can He really do anything?"

How many Radio Antennas are there in the world, that are used to randomly look for some signals from space?

There's a slew of them in various places in the world.

Check out the movie called "Contact," and you'll get an idea, of what that technology is all about? 

I wonder, if some of the non Religious individuals, could reach out to some of those same Radio Antennas researchers, and see of they could broadcast a message into space, asking "God if he is all powerful, and can he really do anything," and hang out there at the base of one of those Radio Antennas, and wait and see what God, perhaps says in return?

TKDB said:
    The humans on this planet, this planets solar system, the solar systems galaxy that we are a part of along with the other countless galaxies along with ours, some of humanity can only dream to be that creative and original, while some continue to question God in this or that sense, and ask can he really do anything?

It's funny, God isn't self hyping himself to gain attention from some of Humanity in general, but it's a reality check to see how some want to protest God, through the machine of the Internet, looking for the Religious individuals to Defend God, in merely trying to garner some attention, for the non Religious to use as fodder, for their non Religious arguments? 

How many Radio Antennas are there in the world, that are used to randomly look for some signals from space?

There's a slew of them in various places in the world.

Check out the movie called "Contact," and you'll get an idea, of what that technology is all about? 

I wonder, if some of the non Religious individuals, could reach out to some of those same Radio Antennas researchers, and see of they could broadcast a message into space, asking "God if he is all powerful, and can he really do anything," and hang out there at the base of one of those Radio Antennas, and wait and see what God, perhaps says in return?

God is not all powerful, you have no proof.
    ZeusAres42
  • ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 Emerald Premium Member 2673 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    RickeyD said:

If God is anything l you, I want nothing to do with Him. You are such a hateful hypocrite. You have no proof that God is all powerful. Go tell them to parents whose kids died waiting for allegedly all powerful God to work a miracle.
    @YeshuaRedeemed FYI, in case you haven't noticed this guy is actually a troll. He makes up bible quotes and writes a load of bull next them or he writes a load of bull and then posts genuine but irrelevant Bible pictures next to his load of bullsh*t. His only intention is to troll. He soon got bored of me once I unmasked him for the troll he was the other day. The way you deal with these guys is either by just not responding to them at all or bake them a cake and feed them their own trolling words back to them. They soon do get bored and will get eventually get lost. They play on your emotions like some kind of sadistic psychopaths who just want to get a rise out of you. But as some of them them might soon realize if not already is that I might just be a little worse than what they are!

Mile 22 Best Quotes – ‘If you’re chaos I think I might be worse.’

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaRedeemed

"God is not all powerful, you have no proof."

How do you go about challenging God, with Zero evidence to support your statements?

It's easy to challenge God, through the anonymity of the Internet.

• Remember my words before. Don't get angry at these trolls. The guy above me is another one and will continue to ask questions to you to prove yourself, say your off-topic, say you only see things according to your perception or try and take the discussion in a different direction. Please don't be fooled or angered by this and the other pathetic trolls.

RickeyD said:

@YeshuaRedeemed FYI, in case you haven't noticed this guy is actually a troll. He makes up bible quotes and writes a load of bull next them or he writes a load of bull and then posts genuine but irrelevant Bible pictures next to his load of bullsh*t. His only intention is to troll. He soon got bored of me once I unmasked him for the troll he was the other day. The way you deal with these guys is either by just not responding to them at all or bake them a cake and feed them their own trolling words back to them. They soon do get bored and will get eventually get lost. They play on your emotions like some kind of sadistic psychopaths who just want to get a rise out of you. But as some of them them might soon realize if not already is that I might just be a little worse than what they are!

Mile 22 Best Quotes – ‘If you’re chaos I think I might be worse.’

Thanks for the heads up.
  • ŁåśåğñūţŁåśåğñūţ 9 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    @RickeyD STOP USING BIBLE QUOTES AS PROOF BECAUSE THEIR MAN MADE AND JUST LIKE YOUR RELIGION, GOD IS FAKE AND NOT POWERFUL WHATSOEVER, IF HE WAS REAL THE FAMILY'S THAT PRAYED AND DID ONLY GOOD WOULD STILL HAVE THEIR SICK KIDS ALIVE AND IN THEIR ARMS, NOT BARRIED IN PILES WITH OTHER DEAD POOR CHILDREN WHO DIE FROM DISEASE. STOP QUOTING THE BIBLE AS PROOF BECAUSE ITS NOT PROVING ANYTHING, GET THST THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL. BELIEVING IN GOD IS LIKE BELIEVING IN SANTA.
    smoothie
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    Only a being with infinite knowledge can with confidence claim that another being is omnipotent, since it is impossible to know that one is omnipotent without knowing that they can do absolutely every possible thing, and the space of such things is infinite. Allegedly, the only being in the Universe having infinite knowledge is god himself, hence we have to take his word on it, which is quite a predicament.

Humans cannot know that the god is omnipotent, even if he actually is. This is just another example of religious fundamentalists having overgrown ego and genuinely believing that they are above regular mortals. A humble religious person (and virtually all religions prescribe their followers to be humble) would acknowledge the limitations of their knowledge, and not make claims that are beyond their understanding.

That said, religion is so full of contradictions, that a minor logical issue like this is barely even noticeable on the space of all contradictions.
    Blastcat
  • SpotSpot 22 Pts   -  
    This argument is so old. There are two answers to this rock question...

1. God cannot create the rock since he cannot do what is logically impossible. In other words, nonsense remains nonsense even when your God.

2. God can create the rock that he can't move and remain all-powerful since he can do what is logically impossible. It doesn't make sense logically, but he can anything if he can do what is logically impossible.

• AnuragBAnuragB 7 Pts   -  
    There used to be a sort of split of religion called deoism. Thomas Jefferson and George Washington were actually famous proponents of this. They believed that the universe was created, and then after that God or the creator let all just act itself out with no intervention. @YeshuaBought
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  

Whenever we speak we use words that are all-inclusive. But even in our statements, the word “all” does not mean without exception. In the other sentence, I used the word ‘we’ that doesn’t include everyone on the planet or everyone who ever existed. There are scriptures that say ‘all’ but it has exceptions. Just because we cannot see the top of something doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a top.

The Bible says “With God, all things are possible.” It is unfathomable for “all things to be possible”, but that is only part of the picture. The bible clearly paints limits for God, which clarifies the word ‘all’ in that scripture. The Bible says God cannot lie, die, be tempted by evil. These are limits that indicate a top, crest, or peak of God’s ability. So the word Omnipotent could not apply to God.

Some religious leaders claim that God is omnipresent or everywhere, all places, at the same time. This is a mind-blowing concept that could be applied to God. Nevertheless, again the scriptures provide a clearer picture of limits. The terminology the Bible uses about God would be incorrect if God is everywhere. The Bible calls the heavens, his place of dwelling. You cannot dwell somewhere if you are everywhere.  Also, this goes against what the Bible says about idol worship. God forbids idol worship even calling them dead, senseless, and lifeless. But if he is in the idol they are not lifeless. Can God be in Satan, in death, in excrement? There are scriptures against these things too. If the answer is no in any sense then the concept of omnipresence is incorrect.

Now here is the big one, the one everyone says about God as true. God is Omniscience or knows everything. Fate. This concept once again is beyond comprehension. That would mean that God NEVER changes his mind. Nevertheless, many places in the Bible it says that God had regret, he repented, reconsidered, and God said if certain things did happen he threated to change his mind, he would forget wrongdoings. Such concepts could not be applied to God if he is omniscience. Clearly the concept of fate and omniscience do not apply to God.

The problem is not the concept of God, but a more complete picture of God consists of. We need to look at the whole picture and not one or two scriptures.

These terms Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Omniscience are words not in the Bible, these are terms religious people apply to God with little to no support from the Bible.
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  

Let us address your words:
    >>>The author is a Jewish Rabbi who lost his daughter to a stroke. He said, and I now agree, that God is all good, but not all-powerful. Think about it, for just one second. Can God create a rock so huge, He is unable to lift it? No one has that ability. God is not al powerful, and He never will be.<<<

Let's look at this situation from a different viewpoint.
    Lets the Violent Crimes Chief in the US Attorneys office takes out too many loans and has to file bankruptcy. Unfortunately, he loses his house, car, and many valuable possessions, where his family is placed in a low-income bracket until he is able to pay off the debt. Because the US Attorney chose not to help the Violent Crimes Chief immediately does that mean he doesn't have the means to do so? Does that mean the US Attorney does not exist?

God clearly explains his answers to human problems in the Bible. 

God is not of this realm. So physics does not apply to God. We live in the physical realm, height, depth, weight, length are things we have studied and understand.
    These are concepts God created.
    Creating a rock that is bigger than he can lift, is like saying, can a computer programmer, program a graphical building that he could not lift.
    The programmer is not of the computer realm, plus he is the one who created the physics of the graphical environment.