frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

MAN DOES UNSPEAKABLE THINGS IN THE NAME OF RELIGION BUT THE RELIGION DOESN'T WANT HIM TO DO THEM

Debate Information

Everyone knows about the horrible things carried out by people both in the medieval and modern world but I personally and firmly believe that every religion spreads the message of peace. 
What do you think about it

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    The problem is that what is "good" or "bad" is completely subjective both to the individual and the group. The fallacious thinking of religion (and Disney) is to try and reduce morality to something which is binary. Either you are good or evil and there are no grey areas.

For example, Islam is often criticized for it's treatment of Women and homosexuals.

If you have a gay son it is considered an act of compassion to kill them, because they see it as preventing them from committing further sin.

In the west where homosexuals are largely accepted relative to Islamic cultures this behavior is considered extreme. However, you could argue that this is still a message of peace.

Let's take this reasoning to it's logical extreme: If Islam had the ability to kill everyone on the planet effortlessly and painlessly, should they do it?

A lifeless planet is as peaceful as it gets, there can be no wars or conflicts between individuals who are dead.

If this is the kind of peace religion seeks to instill, then what is the difference between religions of peace and fanatic genocidal governments?
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    Well, I would not be so sure about that...

The Torah:
    If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die. Deuteronomy 21:18-21
    The Quran:
    I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them. Quran (8:12)
    The Bible:
    Tell slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect; they are not to talk back,not to pilfer, but to show complete and perfect fidelity, so that in everything they may be an ornament to the doctrine of God our Savior. Titus 2:9-10
    The Vedas:
    Surely, a woman who has changed her clothes at the end of her menstrual period is the most auspicious of women. When she has changed her clothes at the end of her menstrual period, therefore, one should approach that splendid woman and invite her to have sex. Should she refuse to consent, he should bribe her. If she still refuses, he should beat her with a stick or with his fists and overpower her, saying: "I take away the splendor from you with my virility and splendor". Brhadarankyaka Upanishad 6.4.9,21

It seems to me that all mainstream religions have about the same to say about peace: that it is only good insofar as the society is subdued and all dissent has been eliminated. Not quite the kind of peace I cherish.
    Happy_Killbotsmoothie
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    I disagree , the Bible totally approves of slavery , the killing of homosexuals and the slaughter of those who do not accept its message the Quran is more or less the same , people have and still do use the words of these books to victimize , demonise and brutalise others and in fairness to them they are only doing exactly as their gods command