frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should standardized testing be abolished?

Debate Information

What are your thoughts on standardized testing in schools? In the UK we have the 11 Plus test to measure students' academic ability and determine what the second school they would be most suited to.  I am a little bit on the fence in regards to this at the moment. A part of me thinks that it should and another part thinks it's necessary. I am leaning toward the latter though. What are your thoughts?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    I favor the system that was used in Russia back when I was studying at high school there (although they do have a standardized test now): no standardized tests, and each college/university offers their own entrance exams, which you have to take and do well on in order to be considered for admission. I took brutal entrance exams at the top math program and the top physics program in Russia; failed the former miserably (I was well prepared, but for the wrong type of problems), but aced the latter and got in.

It is a bit different with things like PhD programs, as there you typically apply to a large number of schools, and taking entrance exams at every single one would be nearly unfeasible. There you do need some standardized tests, and I find that ETS do a decent job with their GRE exam system. I have only personally taken the GRE General, Math and Physics tests, so cannot comment on the rest of them - but these three are very well designed and provide a decent assessment of the applicant's overall preparation.
    ZeusAres42smoothie
  • smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -  
    In the states, we have the SAT and ACT. These tests do show the capability of a student's general education to colleges and by taking these tests and getting an average or good score, it helps the student get into better and better colleges. I feel without these tests, hard-working students would not be given the chance to show their skills in the general education of what they learned in high school. Some students even apply to schools simply by what that school's population got on their SAT and ACT, it is a helpful tool in choosing a college. One could make the argument that colleges could give their own pre-tests in general education, but imagine a high school student applying to many different colleges; they would have to take many different tests instead of just one widely accepted one. This would discourage the student from applying.

We do have controversy here in regards to affirmative action related to these SAT and ACT scores, but overall I believe these tests are a good system. I feel these tests are designed to do more good than bad for the students. It is pretty fair to give students an assessment to prove their worth.
    ZeusAres42
    why so serious?
  • Standardised testing,like the infamous beep test should only be use as a rough gauge in school rather than a deciding factor of ability to excel in academia (aka should not be used to see if a student is fit for university) because it encourages a non-growth mindset and does not encourage people to improve. Once the test has been failed once, the person gives up. I think standardised testing is only appropriate if the person is allowed more than 1 try. 
    ZeusAres42
  • Standardised testing,like the infamous beep test should only be use as a rough gauge in school rather than a deciding factor of ability to excel in academia (aka should not be used to see if a student is fit for university) because it encourages a non-growth mindset and does not encourage people to improve. Once the test has been failed once, the person gives up. I think standardised testing is only appropriate if the person is allowed more than 1 try. 

In fact, in the UK there is a later test such as the 13 plus if students didn't do too well on their 11 plus beforehand.