frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

who are you?

Debate Information

In the absence of a creator, do you consider your sense of self a mere illusion by your brain?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• johnjamesjohnjames 19 Pts   -  
    im batman @maxx
    PlaffelvohfenZeusAres42
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    I am not sure what effect absence or presence of a creator has on the answer to this question. Personally, I see my sense of self as an observation on my part; whether it is an illusion or something more is impossible to tell from our limited perspective.
  • maxxmaxx 1134 Pts   -  
    it seems that would equal the idea that we have something with-in us apart than a biological brain telling us that we are the person who is at the center of our being; this would almost be akin in thinking we have a soul. out brain must give the illusion that we have a sense of self rather than actually having one; probably for the purpose of ensuring this sense of self would benefit the survival of the organism. @MayCaesar
  • smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -  
    I am a spongy slab of meat piloting a mech suit made out of more meat slabs
    why so serious?
    @maxx

This difference seems purely semantic to me; whether there is an entity we can call "soul", or the brain is what fundamentally drives us, our consciousness is still what it is, and our experience does not change from this distinction.

Now, if you are looking at it from the perspective of the potential afterlife existence, then it is a different question no one has an answer to.
  • As a person we are the sum total of our brain cells @maxx
    Plaffelvohfen

• RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
    @maxx ; You are a created entity and you are constrained by Time for a specific purpose and death of the body is NOT the end but the beginning of true life, understanding, meaning, for those who have acknowledged God's dominion and providence over their life and trusted in Jesus as Lord for the mediation of sin.

Blastcat
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1712 Pts   -  
    Yes, I do consider my sense of self to be a mere illusion created by my brain. The outside world is nothing more than a simulation created by our brain. 
    @RickeyD
    What do you mean by the 'constraints of time'? As is well documented by Brian Greene, the difference between past, present and future is an illusion. This helpful video proves it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idsw99SSwKc
    Joltdebatinglegend
    Here is another interesting video about the non-existent nature of time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3tbVHlsKhs
    Joltdebatinglegend
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
    @xlJ_dolphin_473 ; You are the "fool."
    PlaffelvohfenAlofRIRS_masterxlJ_dolphin_473Blastcat
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    I always try to keep MY brain resistant to "illusions". That's why I don't believe in myths. ;-)
    Plaffelvohfen
  • maxxmaxx 1134 Pts   -  
    the way our brain perceives reality is an illusion, so good luck with that.@AlofRI
    AlofRIPlaffelvohfen
    RickeyD said:
    @xlJ_dolphin_473 ; You are the "fool."
    Perhaps so, but that does not rebut my earlier argument, about time not existing as a unidirectional, constraining thing.
  • RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    Here is another interesting video about the non-existent nature of time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3tbVHlsKhs
    @xlJ_dolphin_473 Maybe time is physical in an other dimension. How could time be an illusion? It does not have to be...
    Time can be twisted, how is it an illusion? I believe we are not illusions but bits of energy in mass.
    xlJ_dolphin_473Joltdebatinglegend
  • RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    @AlofRI

Any one of us believes in many myths which our irrational brain interprets as objective truth. For example, if someone you trust tells you that they went to McDonalds earlier, then, despite you having zero evidence of that happening, you will likely not even think of questioning it. Granted, you could logically justify it by saying that you do not remember them ever lying to you, hence it is statistically likely that this time they are not lying either - but you still lack hard evidence of it.

But, of course, there is a difference between believing in a myth as a result of basic statistical analysis, and believing in a myth just because someone made some random claim with no serious attempt to back it up.
    MayCaesar said:
    @AlofRI

Any one of us believes in many myths which our irrational brain interprets as objective truth. For example, if someone you trust tells you that they went to McDonalds earlier, then, despite you having zero evidence of that happening, you will likely not even think of questioning it. Granted, you could logically justify it by saying that you do not remember them ever lying to you, hence it is statistically likely that this time they are not lying either - but you still lack hard evidence of it.

But, of course, there is a difference between believing in a myth as a result of basic statistical analysis, and believing in a myth just because someone made some random claim with no serious attempt to back it up.
    To me believing in a "myth" is believing in a thing that (allegedly) happened long ago and is still believable to some people. Not a recent happening. If I believed recent happenings were myths I would consider the White House "mythical" today. ;-)
     ,zjxdv,znxcvbmzncvbzzvx cxv<KJ>L::"}\]p'['(P{_

OH! NO! Now we're talking in tongues?????????? (Or have you caught a virus?)