frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Is globalism a good idea?

Debate Information

I say no, both from a religious, and a political, point of veiw. Anyone who is willing to read Revelation 13, sees that the Antichrist will be a globalist. If religion is not for you, please allow me to me some secular arguments: If you concentrate power in one or a few people's hands, you have corruption, and tyranny.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5971 Pts   -  
    I suggest separating economical, cultural and political globalism. These are all different beasts.

Economical globalism refers to a thriving international market, with people from different places on Earth trading with each other, expanding their companies to each other's countries, et cetera. It is a great idea, and one of the main reasons humanity has solved the problem of extreme poverty over the last century.

Cultural globalism refers to social interaction between people from different places on Earth, exchanging ideas and cultural elements and fusing them together. It is a bit of a mixed bag, and depends on what ideas and cultural elements exactly are being exchanged - but overall, in my view, this is a very positive phenomenon. I have learned so much from interacting with people from countries I have never been to, and they hopefully, in turn, have learned something from me.

Political globalism refers to unification of political structures under one banner; centralisation, if you will. This is a very dangerous authoritarian phenomenon, and it should not be allowed to go too far. Luckily, the world is moving in the direction of extreme economical decentralisation, which, I hope, eventually will make large centralised governments non-viable.
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    MayCaesar said:
    I suggest separating economical, cultural and political globalism. These are all different beasts.

Economical globalism refers to a thriving international market, with people from different places on Earth trading with each other, expanding their companies to each other's countries, et cetera. It is a great idea, and one of the main reasons humanity has solved the problem of extreme poverty over the last century.

Cultural globalism refers to social interaction between people from different places on Earth, exchanging ideas and cultural elements and fusing them together. It is a bit of a mixed bag, and depends on what ideas and cultural elements exactly are being exchanged - but overall, in my view, this is a very positive phenomenon. I have learned so much from interacting with people from countries I have never been to, and they hopefully, in turn, have learned something from me.

Political globalism refers to unification of political structures under one banner; centralisation, if you will. This is a very dangerous authoritarian phenomenon, and it should not be allowed to go too far. Luckily, the world is moving in the direction of extreme economical decentralisation, which, I hope, eventually will make large centralised governments non-viable.
    Fair enough. I am mostly opposed to political globalism, but can see how limited models of the other types might work.
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought Globalism doesn't necessarily concentrate power, it just means that every country is interacting with every other country, the same way that all the states interact with each other.

In terms of politics, I don't think it will be likely that we will ever have any one leader who is some how in charge of the planet, at least not in the near future so any worries about some supreme evil person can be dropped. ( i'm 99% sure the Antichrist was a euphemism for Caesar anyways) Most likely some organization like the UN will have specific delegated powers mostly centered around defusing conflicts between national actors.
    Plaffelvohfen
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought Globalism doesn't necessarily concentrate power, it just means that every country is interacting with every other country, the same way that all the states interact with each other.

In terms of politics, I don't think it will be likely that we will ever have any one leader who is some how in charge of the planet, at least not in the near future so any worries about some supreme evil person can be dropped. ( i'm 99% sure the Antichrist was a euphemism for Caesar anyways) Most likely some organization like the UN will have specific delegated powers mostly centered around defusing conflicts between national actors.
    I disagree. Look at the Brexit controversy.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5971 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

Brexit, I would argue, shows exactly that the global society is fundamentally opposed to being ruled from the center: once the European Union parliament went a bit too far, we have one of the major EU members secede, and multiple other members voicing the desire to secede. Unless some untamed conqueror like Stalin or Hitler arises again and turns out far more successful than his/her predecessors, I do not see how global dictatorship can realistically arise.

At the same time, political forecasts are notoriously hard to make. Everybody thought Brexit would fail, and it succeeded... Everybody thought Trump would lose, and he won... It is very much possible that right now everybody thinks that global dictatorship is impossible, and in reality we will be living it in just a few years.

We will see. I am fairly optimistic here.
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    I see nothing wrong with globalism in any manner. Individual business owners should be free to dictate their own trade policies with businesses in other countries, and those businesses should not be hampered by laws that are driven by peoples irrational fears of global dictatorship, or a global currency, or computer chips being surgically placed in us for surveillance. Ideas and information should not have firewalls between countries with the purpose of hampering information.

Any country that cannot defend itself and becomes a victim of a global dictatorial regime deserves to become the victims of just such a scenario. People who live in dictatorships deserve everything they get because it's their fault for letting their country become a dictatorship. If we as a nation do not want to become slaves to a global regime, we just simply reject its policies, but there's no need to reject goods, or ideas and information, or even people from other parts of the globe.