frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

What is your belief in God?

Debate Information

Have you wondered 'why are we here?' 'Who put us here?' 'How did we come here?' 'What's our purpose here?'. Because of this, religion became a big impact in this world and within us. Now there are so many religions including science, do we not need to know which is the absolute truth and if there is a truth then should we not follow the right way to live? I'd love to here different opinions and also question each other if there's any issues with what people follow and why.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• YeshuaBought
  • God's Existence ^

• PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    Why are we here? Dumb luck...
    Who put us here? No one...
    How did we come here? Evolution...
    What's our purpose here? There is no intrinsic purpose to our existence, but we can create our own purpose...

Bonus: Science is not a religion...
    smoothieHappy_KillbotAlofRISkepticalOneZeusAres42
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    @Kiki101 ;

Science is not a religion!

Science stands in opposition to "absolute truth" and instead sees everything as being less wrong or just as useful. It rests on the assumption that there is a real world, and that everything around us exists, but beyond that assumption, everything is false.

In science, you don't take things on faith, which in the context of religion is basically just delusion, you make a theory and then you test it. If it is false, then you know that it will forever be not true, and if you can not prove it false after rigorous and repeated testing, then you are probably on to something. If you prove parts of a theory wrong, then you revise it and try again. In this way, there is always continuous progress and development. Your theories get less wrong, and in the process they get more useful.

Religion can not cure a single disease, put man on the moon, solve climate change, put food on the table, or for that matter, explain a single fact.

All of the "truths" contained in any religion are not true, they are speculation, this is evident because of the sheer number of them that can not all possibly be true, so it is most likely that people made them all up.

There is of course, the and sometimes dangerous beliefs known as "scientism" which is more or less a religion. This is exasperated by the pop-science culture and mental laziness of people. This is where people assume that ethics and morality can be derived from scientific principals. It is a fallacy, because science doesn't tell you what is true, it can only tell you what is false.

So some subjective idea, i.e. "All people should have freedom of speech" can not be proven scientifically. It is a personal opinion, and this is where people get confused, and try to use science to justify it, which is an incorrect use. They might say: "studies show that people in countries where freedom of speech is the norm are happier and healthier" Or attack it: "We have proven that freedom of speech leads to people getting personally attacked, and this is bad for health" Both of these are appeals to science, and I get angry whenever I see this in the news or in political debates, because it undermines the values that should be the real point of contention, not the science.
    Plaffelvohfenpiloteer
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,

• AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    My belief in God is similar to my belief in Superman. It was a great story, especially when we were kids. As we grew older we (some of us), put away childish things and looked more toward reality. I still enjoy a well written fiction, but, that one isn't even well written. There must be a million different opinions as to JUST WHAT THE BOOK REALLY SAYS, just what the real message is, just how things actually happened and why.  There is actually disagreement over the leading characters, whether they were "gods" or "prophets" and what the REAL book is called.

I'll stick with Tom Clancy, John Sandford, Patricia Cornwell, John Grisham and the like. At least the stories are based on "believability". 
    Happy_KillbotPlaffelvohfen
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
    @Kiki101 ; The Holy Spirit has revealed/articulated "why we are here" and He has explained origin, meaning of life, morality and the necessity for same as well as our destiny in this body of flesh and in our spirit; that is, if one will seek God and truly desires this knowledge. I have articulated God's Plan for Time and Eternity and His reasoning for our creation in Time in this article: https://rickeyholtsclaw.com/2017/09/27/in-the-beginning-god-why/

Happy_Killbot
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    I know we don't always see eye to eye, but I love you, and share a lot of your doctrinal views. I too, believe Jesus is God, and He is the Love of my life. I am sorry for popping off, at the mouth. If you want to talk, let me know. I just don't always know what to do. I have been through some things in my personal life, and I will be the first to admit, that might be clouding my judgement. I plan on taking a break from political matters, and focusing on Biblical matters. I am asking you to pray for me. i love you very much, and am offering you a truce, in the Name of Jesus Christ. Please say yes, to me.
    @RickeyD "I'm right because my blog says so"

What makes your god more right than say, the people in India who believe in Vishnu?

They also have their own beliefs about the world you know.
    Plaffelvohfen

@Happy_Killbot ; I am simply telling you what the Holy Spirit has placed upon my heart during diligent study and pursuit of the Truth as I have walked with my Lord for 27+ years. You are free to live and die in spiritual ignorance and lose your soul in Hell via your rebellion. I am here to tell you what the Holy Spirit has said and explained from The Genesis to the Revelation relevant to our existence and why. You are free to reject it and believe in the demonic theory of evolution or whatever pleases you and gets you through the day and appeases your conscience. I have told you Truth and I have articulated God's explanation as to "why" we are here constrained by Time. Do as you please...it's your life and your Eternity!

AlofRI said:
    My belief in God is similar to my belief in Superman. It was a great story, especially when we were kids. As we grew older we (some of us), put away childish things and looked more toward reality. I still enjoy a well written fiction, but, that one isn't even well written. There must be a million different opinions as to JUST WHAT THE BOOK REALLY SAYS, just what the real message is, just how things actually happened and why.  There is actually disagreement over the leading characters, whether they were "gods" or "prophets" and what the REAL book is called.

I'll stick with Tom Clancy, John Sandford, Patricia Cornwell, John Grisham and the like. At least the stories are based on "believability". 
    I want to preface my question, with stating that I respect your right to your views on God. My question is this: How can the universe exist, without a Creator God? This has never made sense to me, and I have been studying comparative religion and spirituality, since I was 12, before I become a born again Christian, at the age of 15. As akways, I respect your right to your views, and look forward to a good discussion, on this.
    @RickeyD But how do you know that?

If someone came up to you and said: "Did you know the earth is flat? It's true! there is a massive conspiracy to hide this fact from the public! Everything from videos, to math, and even pictures of the earth have all been faked!"

You would find them crazy and wrong right?

We can go into space and take pictures of the earth, witness the shadow on the moon during an eclipse, and see objects falling off into the distance such as ships going out to sea. We can prove the earth is not flat.

But with religion, how would we do that? What we need to happen in order to prove that for example, Vishnu isn't real, or that the devil didn't invent Jesus?

This is an open question, answer it how you like. How do we know that something is or is not true?
    Plaffelvohfen

@RickeyD But how do you know that?

If someone came up to you and said: "Did you know the earth is flat? It's true! there is a massive conspiracy to hide this fact from the public! Everything from videos, to math, and even pictures of the earth have all been faked!"

You would find them crazy and wrong right?

We can go into space and take pictures of the earth, witness the shadow on the moon during an eclipse, and see objects falling off into the distance such as ships going out to sea. We can prove the earth is not flat.

But with religion, how would we do that? What we need to happen in order to prove that for example, Vishnu isn't real, or that the devil didn't invent Jesus?

This is an open question, answer it how you like. How do we know that something is or is not true?
    If I step back from the emotional nature of some of my previous interactions with him, I think you are both making a good point-counter-point. I am not defending some of his bigoted statements he has made to this community, but I do agree with him, on some doctrinal matters. in the end, people have to make their own decisions regarding God and religion, but I do believe God exists, and that He is a Trinity. Of course, i am ready to provide evidence, but whether someone changes their mind, is between them, and God. i hope that helps.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    ****** do we not need to know which is the absolute truth 

How would you tell which one was the absolute truth as none have so far proved such? 
  • Kiki101Kiki101 9 Pts   -  
    @Plaffelvohfen
    Okay so you believe that we are just born, live the best life we can and then we die and our body becomes worm food in the grave? That's not really much of a purpose. Ever wondered that's there's more to that?

And technically atheists do follow science like it's a religion.
    @Dee ;
    This is where you use the god-given ability of intellect and logical reasoning to find out which religion actually makes sense. So whigh religion narrows down to you?
    @YeshuaBought How do you know god exists?

I value knowledge and truth, so as an individual I want to know when things are real.  Part of knowing what is real is identifying when they are made up. Wouldn't you say that's reasonable?

There are thousands of religions, and each of them believe that they are the correct interpretation. I certainly wouldn't judge someone for having any of these beliefs, and I don't think you would either, but because they all say completely different things they can not all be true.

So how can we know what is and is not real?
    YeshuaBought

@Happy_Killbot

Yes science has come up with so many conclusions, theories, working models in different aspects but science is always changing hence why people cannot always take it to be true because of changes. People are brainwashed out there like how the universe was created from nothing or the big bang or some kind energy but are missing the bigger picture. Remember science explains how things work and exist. Religion explains why. That's why I ask about our purpose. We know how but do we know why?
    @JesusisGod777888
    So you believe Jesus is god but yet the son of God? That's a big contradiction? And if you are talking about the trinity, it's not mentioned anywhere in the bible literally
    Happy_Killbot
    @Kiki101 You realize these changes are intentional right?

If someone says the earth is flat, then puts it on a pedestal as truth, then what are they to do when any evidence points to it being false?

I don't think the big bang happened in quite the way science currently describes it, and there are quite a few scientists that would agree with me.

I don't think there is an answer to the question "why do things exist" and frankly, I don't see why people get so worked up about there needing to be.

Suppose that there are in fact infinite worlds, which is possible if you believe in a god or don't. If there are an infinite amount, then this means that everything that can logically exist does exist, and there can be no abstract purpose for why things exist, they just do. Of course, there is no need to invoke a multiverse to make the lack of an abstract "why" possible, it just makes it very easy to see.

Why does life, the universe, and everything else have to have a purpose?

Kiki101 said:
    @Plaffelvohfen
    Okay so you believe that we are just born, live the best life we can and then we die and our body becomes worm food in the grave? That's not really much of a purpose. Ever wondered that's there's more to that?

It's not a purpose at all... There is no intrinsic purpose to existence, there is no reason why anything exist at all, I think there was no other choice, it was unavoidable... Science may be able explain the how eventually, but the why is a useless question here... 

Care to explain to me how "technically" atheist "follow" (instead of "use") science "like a religion" (what does that even mean in this context?)?
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -   edited January 2020
    The question of "why" really is a projection of our type of thinking. Objectively, in the Universe there does not have to be a reason for anything. We just happened to emerge here as a result of physical processes, and there does not have to be an intelligent agent that put us here with some goal in mind.

As for the purpose, in my opinion, your purpose is whatever you choose it to be. It is up to you to discover the purpose in life that makes you more fulfilled. My personal purpose is pretty simple: to have as much fun in life as possible, so at the deathbed I could say, "I lived my life to the fullest, and I do not regret anything and would do it all over again, changing nothing!"

For some reason, many people feel scared when they do not have a definitive purpose or a reason for existence, and they try to fill the void by attributing their existence here to some higher intelligent being. I have never seen the reason to do that; you are the intelligent being, so you should only need yourself to decide why you are here and what for. You do not need an external god: you can be your own god.
    Happy_KillbotPlaffelvohfensmoothie
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -   edited January 2020
    Kiki101 said:
    @Plaffelvohfen

What more would you need? Life is amazing! Ever had a hearty laughter you cannot stop? Ever had intense butterflies in your stomach when looking at someone you are infatuated with? Ever seen the intellectual beauty of a concise idea that manages to describe very complex behaviors in the world in several short statements? Ever walked around a beautiful natural landscape, slightly disbelieving that such beautiful places are possible?
    These experiences already overload our sensors. We absolutely do not need there to be anything outside our lives, as our lives already are incredibly diverse and vibrant.

Science is not a religion; one only follows science like it is a religion if they unquestionably accept its claims, but not if they understand where those claims come from, and not if they employ basic scientific method, where they accept an idea if it is easily demonstrated to work.
    @YeshuaBought How do you know god exists?

I value knowledge and truth, so as an individual I want to know when things are real.  Part of knowing what is real is identifying when they are made up. Wouldn't you say that's reasonable?

There are thousands of religions, and each of them believe that they are the correct interpretation. I certainly wouldn't judge someone for having any of these beliefs, and I don't think you would either, but because they all say completely different things they can not all be true.

So how can we know what is and is not real?
    I agree with your premise about logic and truth. I experimented with a variety of theological concepts, before inviting Jesus, to be my God, Lord, and Savior. I do disagree with your conclusion about God, but I respect your desire for knowledge, and truth. I wish everyone would do that. I guess my question, for you, is: How can the universe/multiverse, exist, without a Creator god? I think a reaction, has to be caused by an action, but that is just me.
    Kiki101 said:
    @JesusisGod777888
    So you believe Jesus is god but yet the son of God? That's a big contradiction? And if you are talking about the trinity, it's not mentioned anywhere in the bible literally
    https://www.gotquestions.org/is-Jesus-God.html i disagree. Please read John 14.
    @YeshuaBought If every action needs a cause, then what is god's cause? This doesn't solve the problem, it just pushes it back.

If god didn't need a cause, then why does the universe?

There are other possibilities too, such as that the universe always existed ( or is being cyclical created and destroyed, due to continual expansion)

The universe created itself (there are mathematical models that show this is possible)

Or the black hole theory, which suggests that every black hole contains a new universe, and our own universe exists inside a black hole,

It is also possible that there is an answer that we just haven't thought of.

At any rate, it is possible that the universe could exist without a god, and not possible by that same logic that god can exist without a god to create it.

@Happy_Killbot ; You don't know Who I know and how I know but I can assure you that my words are true and that you, in your rebellion, are alienated from the things of God because you have opted to serve His adversary, Satan...even if unaware. Basically, this entire existence constrained by Time is nothing more than preparation for Eternity; unfortunately, "many" will choose to die in Hell and only a "few" will find life in the Kingdom of God. I am endeavoring to show you "the Way."

@YeshuaBought If every action needs a cause, then what is god's cause? This doesn't solve the problem, it just pushes it back.

If god didn't need a cause, then why does the universe?

There are other possibilities too, such as that the universe always existed ( or is being cyclical created and destroyed, due to continual expansion)

The universe created itself (there are mathematical models that show this is possible)

Or the black hole theory, which suggests that every black hole contains a new universe, and our own universe exists inside a black hole,

It is also possible that there is an answer that we just haven't thought of.

At any rate, it is possible that the universe could exist without a god, and not possible by that same logic that god can exist without a god to create it.
    I don't agree with your opinion, on god. You have the right to think however you want, but i do too. Atheism, just doesn't make sense. It makes no sense, for the universe to exist, without God. We can nit pick over specifics all day long, but I do value how important civilized interfaith debate, really is. Second question: What kind of evidence, do you need, to be a Christian?
    @RickeyD Why don't you tell me who you know and how you know?

And what about anyone who also knows that another prophet is the messiah?

How do you know they are wrong?

@YeshuaBought Literally any evidence whatsoever will do.

It has to be testable and repeatable.

Then I would be a Christian.

I might ask you the same question: What would you need to see in order to change your mind about Jesus?

• piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    I fear that this universe is a simulation that was created by a Christian zealot who has no qualms with watching non believers ultimately falter and burn.
    @Happy_Killbot ; I know what I know because I know, personally, the Holy Spirit who is God and is the Spirit of Truth...He lives within me as I am a child of the Living God by grace through faith in Jesus-Yeshua as Lord. God the Father does not divulge the secrets of the Kingdom to His enemies but He lavishes Truth upon those who truly love Him and trust in Him...He provides them peace, joy, assurance, knowledge, wisdom...so that they can know Him intimately and His Plan and purposes for Time and Eternity.

@Dee ; There is ONLY One source for Truth...God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit...these Three are One God.

@RickeyD So you know it personally in your heart and mind that the Holy Spirit who is God and is the Spirit of Truth.

But what would you say to someone who knew in their heart and mind that for example, Vishnu ( the Hindu supreme being) is the only Holy entity, and all other are false?

I doubt you would judge him poorly, but assume this person felt about Vishnu the way you feel about Jesus.

How do we know he isn't right?

@YeshuaBought Literally any evidence whatsoever will do.

It has to be testable and repeatable.

Then I would be a Christian.

I might ask you the same question: What would you need to see in order to change your mind about Jesus?
    Jesus is the Love of my life. While I support your moral and legal right to your own thoughts, I just can't change my about Jesus, after what He did for me, on the cross. I promise that I bear no ill will, towards you, but Jesus is the One, for me.
    @YeshuaBought What would you do if someone invented a time machine or some other kind of advanced entropy reducing device, then went back in time only to prove that Jesus never really existed?

Would you still believe in him then, even if we proved beyond any doubt that there never was a Jesus?

@YeshuaBought What would you do if someone invented a time machine or some other kind of advanced entropy reducing device, then went back in time only to prove that Jesus never really existed?

Would you still believe in him then, even if we proved beyond any doubt that there never was a Jesus?
    That will never happen. Jesus is the Love of my life, case closed. No one will ever change my mind. Since I respect your right to your thoughts, why can't you do the same for me?
    @Happy_Killbot Study...you'll find that NO ONE provides an explanation relevant to origin-meaning of life-morality-destiny but the Holy Spirit as He is the Author of the Scriptures given you for life in Time and Eternity...those words will NEVER pass away and they are immutable.

@YeshuaBought I do respect your rights to your thoughts, I am just asking questions here, not trying to offend.

Because I genuinely want to know why you believe.

If nothing can shake your faith, not even conclusive proof that Jesus did not exist, then that is a bit of a problem for me, because I like to know that things are real and true, and if there is something we don't know for sure, I like to test it to find out.

Let's say there is someone who feels the same way about Vishnu ( the Hindu supreme god ) the way that you do about Jesus. I doubt you would Judge this person, but you can not both be right because these ideas conflict. So how could we determine who if anyone is right?

@RickeyD What if someone who believes in Vishnu felt the same way? Couldn't they tell you to study so that you realized that only through Vishnu could someone answer all the explanation relevant to origin-meaning of life-morality-destiny?

What if they are right?

How can you know?

If the bible is a reliable source of information, then what makes it different?

@Happy_Killbot ; Study. It's your life and your eternity...study.

@YeshuaBought

You wrote :"It makes no sense, for the universe to exist without god"

I agree, but it makes no more sense with a theistic or deistic god either...  

Existence (the fact that there is something instead of nothing) doesn't make any sense with or without a god...
    But it doesn't need to make sense... Why should it?  
    @RickeyD Ok, but why should I not study the Quran, the Hindu Vedas, or the book of Mormon? What makes those books invalid and the Bible valid?

@YeshuaBought I do respect your rights to your thoughts, I am just asking questions here, not trying to offend.

Because I genuinely want to know why you believe.

If nothing can shake your faith, not even conclusive proof that Jesus did not exist, then that is a bit of a problem for me, because I like to know that things are real and true, and if there is something we don't know for sure, I like to test it to find out.

Let's say there is someone who feels the same way about Vishnu ( the Hindu supreme god ) the way that you do about Jesus. I doubt you would Judge this person, but you can not both be right because these ideas conflict. So how could we determine who if anyone is right?
    I am sorry for being defensive. i have been attacked online for my faith, and for not being either conservative, or liberal. As a born again Christian, i disagree with secular people on some things, but since I have been hurt by the far right who try to sneak their way into my faith, and drive people away, I try to empathize with the non-Christian community. As a human being and someone who is honest, I will be the first to admit I don't have all the answers, or can't always prove something. i wish i could. I am sorry, but at this time, I am not sure, I can prove Jesus, according to your standards, but i am absolutely certain of the Person and work of Jesus, and that the Bible is infallible. I am also absolutely certain that Jesus is god according to the Bible, and that He loves us both. Like i said before, i respect your right to your thoughts, even if we do have a different conclusion. Sometimes "I don't know", or "I can't prove it, right now", is an okay thing to say. I also believe i can be faithful to Jesus, and have an honest interfaith discussion, even if I disagree with someone on religious or theological concepts. I hope that helps. :)
    @YeshuaBought Yes, I completely agree and it is a very wise and honest thing to do to admit when you don't know something.

There is however something deeper to recognize here.

Do you think that there is ever anything that could prove or disprove that any belief is false?

@Happy_Killbot ; The Scriptures are the only source for the atonement of your sin and they explain, in detail, what is required of you to experience an intimate relationship with God the Father by grace through faith in the Son, Jesus Christ. Much of the Quran is plagiarized by Muhammad from the Jewish Torah as he sought to convince the Jews in Media to follow the Way of Islam or The Book/Quran; the Vedas is seriously incomprehensible. If you're interested in a rather succinct differentiation between Christianity and Hinduism, the attached article provides some interesting points of discussion. If you're searching, study the Quran, the Vedas, the Bible...you're headed to Eternity...it is wise to know why and what lies ahead in your future.

Jesus said...

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."  John 14:6 (NASB) You must come to one of the following conclusions concerning Jesus as Lord,

1) Was Jesus a ?
    2) Was Jesus a lunatic?
    3) Is Jesus Lord?

Your eternal destiny depends on how you respond....

I am a Hindu, why should I consider becoming a Christian?  https://www.gotquestions.org/Hindu-Christian.html 

@YeshuaBought Yes, I completely agree and it is a very wise and honest thing to do to admit when you don't know something.

There is however something deeper to recognize here.

Do you think that there is ever anything that could prove or disprove that any belief is false?
    For me, no. however, i am willing to admit, when I am uncertain on doctinal matters, or unable to prove something. Ane example: I hold to the pretribulation view of the Rapture, but I am not 100% sure, and not always able to prove it. Like i said before, i am only absolutely certain of Jesus, but I promise to respect you, and your rights. i don't think i have to agree with everything you say, to respect you, or your rights. In the Christian versus atheist debate, i cannot count how many times I have thought, both make a good point-counter-point. In summation, Christians have done some evil things in the past. I can be a Christian, and agree with atheists, that a lot of Christians, are downright hateful. That said, i am asking the skeptical community, to realize that not all Christians do that, and some christians are willing to not push their beliefs on others.
    RickeyD said:
    @YeshuaBought ; You cannot be a practicing lesbian or homosexual and a Christian. You have knowledge but you do not have Truth.

You don't have the right to dictate whether i am or am not a christian, that is between Jesus, and me. mind your own business, you ****ing lying judgemental, troll! You are the one who is not a Christian, and if you don't leave me the **** alone, you will have a problem!
    RickeyD said:
    @YeshuaBought ; If you're a practicing lesbian you are NOT a Christian and you are lying to everyone in this forum and you're making a mockery of God's Truth...this is not wise.

Leave me alone.
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -   edited January 2020
    @YeshuaBought ; Stop masquerading as a "Gay Christian." This is deceit. You insult the Holy Spirit.

smoothie