frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Atheism: The Religion of Fools? Yes!

Debate Information

Atheism: The Religion Of Fools (by Dr. James Kennedy)

The statement “Atheism is the religion of fools” may make some people angry, but let’s examine its veracity. First of all, we know atheists are fools because God says so in His Word (see today’s text). Second, reason confirms the irrationality of atheism. For an atheist to prove that God does not exist, he or she would have to explore every corner of the universe. Logic calls this the “fallacy of the universal negative.” You cannot prove a “universal no” because you cannot “know” everything. You cannot know for sure that no little green men inhabit the universe because you cannot visit every planet and every star. In the same way, you cannot prove that God doesn’t exist. Third, experience demonstrates that atheism is foolishly destructive. The twentieth-century atheistic philosophies of Nazism and Communism have butchered some 170 million people. This total tops the sum of all those who died in all the preceding wars in history. As well, atheism has in some cases led to hopelessness and insanity. Nietzsche, founder of the “God is dead” movement, went stark, raving mad during the last eleven years of his life.

Only a small number of Americans label themselves as atheists. In fact, many consider themselves Christians. Some attend church on Sunday, but the rest of the week they ignore God, so in reality these people are “practical atheists.” Others who might, in past years, have called themselves atheists now hide their true identities under the names of humanism or secularism. The atheist says, “Down with God.” The humanist says, “Up with man.” These are seemingly opposite statements, but they communicate the same thing.

The good news is that atheism is not accomplishing its goals. Today more people believe in God than at any other time in history. So even when Christians appear as fools in the world’s eyes, we know that God has chosen the “foolish” to shame the “wise.”

Today pray for your atheist friends. Pray that they would join you as followers of Christ. Pray that they may experience God in such a powerful way that they can never again doubt His existence.

https://www.djameskennedy.org/devotional-detail/20180912-atheism-the-religion-of-fools

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    Atheism is a religion like "off" is a TV channel.

P.S. You have the rights to post this, right? Since you just copy pasted it, it violates copyright policy for debate island.

From the terms of service:

"You agree, through your use of this Website and service, that you will not use this
    community to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory,
    inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually
    oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative
    of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the
    copyright is owned by you."
    smoothieAlofRI
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -  
    I will not bother responding to a copy-paste from another author. You are more shameful than usual for posting this, use your own words if you think you are so high and mighty?
    why so serious?
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited January 2020

****The statement “Atheism is the religion of fools

Atheism is still not a religion and it’s amusing you use this as a “taunt” which  demonstrates truly how you  view religion 

***First of all, we know atheists are fools because God says so in His Word (see today’s text). 

But your god also said owning people as property and selling your daughter into sex slavery was just and fair , yet Theists are the fools?

****Second, reason confirms the irrationality of atheism. For an atheist to prove that God does not exist, 

An atheist does not carry the burden of proof as an atheist I keep saying “ I cannot say 100 per cent there is no god but until I see convincing evidence to prove otherwise I do not believe in such “. 

The burden of proof is still with you 

***he or she would have to explore every corner of the universe. Logic calls this the “fallacy of the universal negative.” You cannot prove a “universal no” because you cannot “know” everything. You cannot know for sure that no little green men inhabit the universe because you cannot visit every planet and every star. 

Read above , using your “logic” you have just admitted you cannot prove your god exists , if so prove it , present your god ?

***/In the same way, you cannot prove that God doesn’t exist. 

Atheists are not in the least  interested in trying to prove a god or any supernatural entities exist and neither is science the supernatural is bunk with zero evidence to support it 

*****Third, experience demonstrates that atheism is foolishly destructive. The twentieth-century atheistic philosophies of Nazism and Communism have butchered some 170 million people. 

Nazism and Communism and it’s leaders never once stated they were killing in the name of Atheism religions on the other hand have killed in gods name and still do for centuries , incidentally the German people at the time were mostly believers in a god as was Hitler , Stalin trained to  be a priest but lost all belief in such yet the Russian people were according to what I’ve read mostly religious 

****This total tops the sum of all those who died in all the preceding wars in history. 

Read above 

***As well, atheism has in some cases led to hopelessness and insanity. 

Really , yet the term “religious nut “ is a phenomenon one can see worldwide 

***Nietzsche, founder of the “God is dead” movement, 

Movement , hahaha , you’re funny .

****went stark, raving mad during the last eleven years of his life.

Nietzsche went mad so your bigger point is?

****The good news is that atheism is not accomplishing its goals

It has no goals , why do you constantly need to harrass people for not having your worldview? 

****Today pray for your atheist friends

I will ask all Atheist today to think for believers 

GnosticChristianAlofRI
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6021 Pts   -   edited January 2020
    Oh, stop projecting. I am an Atheist, and I do not think of Christians as intellectually or logically inferior to me - and I do not know in person a single Atheist that does. It is just you, mate, who thinks of those who do not share your beliefs as inferior to you.

It might surprise you, but the fact that there is over 2 billion Christians in the world does not cause absolutely any negative feelings in me. People's beliefs is their business, and I do not judge them for them.

Many orthodox religious people experience an acute case of projection, thinking that the elitist outlook on humanity they have is shared by everyone. No, guys, it is just you.
    smoothieAlofRI
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -  
    Oh no, a religion I don't believe in says atheism is wrong. What a logically sound argument to convince me that atheism is wrong[/sarcasm].

Do you get that you will never convince anyone with these religious based arguments as you get them? Your argument relies on the baseless assumption that the Christian god, Jehovah is actually real. The problem is no atheist will care what the bible says because it has no moral or divine weight to them. In essence you're just preaching to the converted.

To actually make any of the constant religious debates you make relevant, you will have to start off by actually showing that Jehovah exists and your particular understanding of its wants and desires is more accurate than other Christians who can also believe in Jehovah but have radically different views about it. You of course won't be able to do that because people have been trying and failing to do so for thousands of years.
    PlaffelvohfenGnosticChristiansmoothieAlofRI
  • @MayCaesar ;

"but the fact that there is over 2 billion Christians in the world does not cause absolutely any negative feelings in me."

I think it strange that you would not feel compassion for the gays and women of the world that the mainstream homophobic and misogynous religions discriminate against without a just cause.

That is not usual in atheists and other non-believers.

Non-believer morals are usually superior to the religious because all they have for a god, so to speak, is compassion and altruism.

I think you have underrated your feelings, but if I am wrong, you are no better than a Christian.

Regards
    DL
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6021 Pts   -  
    @GnosticChristian

This is not a competition for who is "better". I am not sure how old you are, but most people tend to make everything about competition at a very young age, and gradually grow out of it; I know, I have been there. I used to think that the fact that so few people on Earth shared my world view was a bad thing; now I do not care that much whether people agree with me or not and seek mutual understanding, not similarity.

Compassion is a positive feeling, not a negative one. I am not sure why you are assuming that I do not feel compassion towards discriminated individuals just based on me not having negative feelings towards the fact that there is over 2 billion Christians in the world. How do you derive one from the other?
    AlofRI
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar ;

"but the fact that there is over 2 billion Christians in the world does not cause absolutely any negative feelings in me."

I think it strange that you would not feel compassion for the gays and women of the world that the mainstream homophobic and misogynous religions discriminate against without a just cause.

That is not usual in atheists and other non-believers.

Non-believer morals are usually superior to the religious because all they have for a god, so to speak, is compassion and altruism.

I think you have underrated your feelings, but if I am wrong, you are no better than a Christian.

Regards
    DL
    Don't lie, you leftist social justice warrior! No one takes your victim card playing, seriously. You don't have the right to force someone to either support or oppose something, if it is against their religious beliefs. Religious liberty, is a basic human right.
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

What if part of someone's religion is something that is outside the law, like human sacrifice?
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
    @YeshuaBought

What if part of someone's religion is something that is outside the law, like human sacrifice?
    That is a lie. I never said to support something like that.
  • smoothie said:
    I will not bother responding to a copy-paste from another author. You are more shameful than usual for posting this, use your own words if you think you are so high and mighty?

That's all he's been doing ever since he's been here.
    AlofRI

• Anyway, Atheism is a religion. There are Atheist Churches that Atheists frequent every Sunday, Atheist temples, Atheists praying 5 times a day. There are Atheist priests that bless Atheist wine. Atheist exorcisms. Atheist Bishops, Disciples, pastors, preachers, etc. Atheists that pray to things they do not believe are even there and so on.     SATIRE........
    Plaffelvohfen

Anyway, Atheism is a religion. There are Atheist Churches that Atheists frequent every Sunday, Atheist temples, Atheists praying 5 times a day. There are Atheist priests that bless Atheist wine. Atheist exorcisms. Atheist Bishops, Disciples, pastors, preachers, etc. Atheists that pray to things they do not believe are even there and so on.     SATIRE........
    Atheism is not a religion, it is a theological concept, just like theism.
    smoothie said:
    Really? Its hard to tell when he just rambles and slanders everything he doesn't like, and he has his own "website" aswell
    why so serious?

• smoothie said:
    smoothie said:
    Really? Its hard to tell when he just rambles and slanders everything he doesn't like, and he has his own "website" aswell
    I am no stranger to trolls. I've been online for a long time now. I can usually spot them from a mile off nowadays.

• Anyway, Atheism is a religion. There are Atheist Churches that Atheists frequent every Sunday, Atheist temples, Atheists praying 5 times a day. There are Atheist priests that bless Atheist wine. Atheist exorcisms. Atheist Bishops, Disciples, pastors, preachers, etc. Atheists that pray to things they do not believe are even there and so on.     SATIRE........

My post was a joke.

smoothie said:
    smoothie said:
    I am no stranger to trolls. I've been online for a long time now. I can usually spot them from a mile off nowadays.

Come to think of it, is this even the really Rickey Holtsclaw from that website? Is it a troll pretending to be him?
    ZeusAres42Plaffelvohfen
    why so serious?
    Anyway, Atheism is a religion. There are Atheist Churches that Atheists frequent every Sunday, Atheist temples, Atheists praying 5 times a day. There are Atheist priests that bless Atheist wine. Atheist exorcisms. Atheist Bishops, Disciples, pastors, preachers, etc. Atheists that pray to things they do not believe are even there and so on.     SATIRE........

My post was a joke.
    I'm sorry. I didn't know. Thank you, for telling me. :)
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    I have no intention of changing my internet name to "foolofRI" and I don't find myself "hating" Christians, Muslims or Jews just because some holier-than-thou character says, as an atheist, I must. I don't believe in, or even like, ANY religion. That doesn't mean I hate anyone for doing so.
    The FACT that many IN those religions DO hate others, like present company, is one BIG reason I don't like religions. One intellectual fellow once said: "Religion causes us to hate others we wouldn't normally hate." Again, like present company. I'd be willing to bet YOU hate more people than I, Mr. Christian Good Guy. I don't hate atheists, gays, tranys, women who have abortions, Muslims, prostitutes, or others certain "Christians" DO hate. So, no contest, right?? YOU, Ricky, are the hateful one. 

Blaise Pascal once said: "Men never commit evil so fully and joyously, as when they do it for religious conviction." We see that every day.
    smoothie
  • MayCaesar said:
    @GnosticChristian

This is not a competition for who is "better". I am not sure how old you are, but most people tend to make everything about competition at a very young age, and gradually grow out of it; I know, I have been there. I used to think that the fact that so few people on Earth shared my world view was a bad thing; now I do not care that much whether people agree with me or not and seek mutual understanding, not similarity.

Compassion is a positive feeling, not a negative one. I am not sure why you are assuming that I do not feel compassion towards discriminated individuals just based on me not having negative feelings towards the fact that there is over 2 billion Christians in the world. How do you derive one from the other?
    In the battle of religions, morals make a difference.

If you do not have enough love in you for equality for all and disgust at how gays ands women have been discriminated against without a just cause by religions, then you don't.

For evil to grow, all we need do is not love enough to want to get rid of it before it attacks our family members and friends.

Regards
    DL
    @GnosticChristian ;

I do not disagree with anything you just said, but I still fail to see how you concluded from this that I should have negative feelings with regards to the fact that there is over 2 billion Christians in the world.
    AlofRI said:
    I have no intention of changing my internet name to "foolofRI" and I don't find myself "hating" Christians, Muslims or Jews just because some holier-than-thou character says, as an atheist, I must. I don't believe in, or even like, ANY religion. That doesn't mean I hate anyone for doing so.
    The FACT that many IN those religions DO hate others, like present company, is one BIG reason I don't like religions. One intellectual fellow once said: "Religion causes us to hate others we wouldn't normally hate." Again, like present company. I'd be willing to bet YOU hate more people than I, Mr. Christian Good Guy. I don't hate atheists, gays, tranys, women who have abortions, Muslims, prostitutes, or others certain "Christians" DO hate. So, no contest, right?? YOU, Ricky, are the hateful one. 

Blaise Pascal once said: "Men never commit evil so fully and joyously, as when they do it for religious conviction." We see that every day.
    I believe in God, but I agree with Mr. Pascal, on the known fact, that evil is committed, in the name of religion, Christian or otherwise. One point I want to make, is that claiming to be a Christian, does not make one a Christian, but knowing Jesus as God, Lord, and Savior does, as well as believing in the Bible. I do not agree with how our resident preacher is treating people however, and I apologize, for the negative image, he is painting of Christians. That is not what Jesus wants.
    AlofRI
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

****  I do not agree with how our resident preacher is treating people however, and I apologize, for the negative image, he is painting of Christians.

You paint a pretty negative one yourself 

****That is not what Jesus wants.

Does Jesus want you to call others f—k—g  c-nt-s as you called me last week?.....You ought to practice what you preach 
    AlofRI
    Dee said:
    @YeshuaBought

****  I do not agree with how our resident preacher is treating people however, and I apologize, for the negative image, he is painting of Christians.

You paint a pretty negative one yourself 

****That is not what Jesus wants.

Does Jesus want you to call others f—k—g  c-nt-s as you called me last week?.....You ought to practice what you preach 
    If you stop lying and filing false reports, i will stop. As it stands, I have done nothing wrong, and you don't have the moral right, to have called that person a child molester. That is libel, which is not covered by free speech laws. 
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

You and your friend made several accusations without proof when you’s get it back you’s wail .....

“As ye sow so shall ye reap “ ps that’s from the Bible .....it’s in the fiction section in all good bookshops 
  • @MayCaesar ;

Well. If you like the fact that Christianity does not give women equality and has persecuted so many for such a genocidal god, then -----

Regards
    DL
    @Dee You don't have the right to say someone is a child molester, if they are not. You are a know .
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

**** you don't have the right to say someone is a child mo—-ter, if they are not. You are a know .

you  don't have the right to say someone Is a thief l, l—r , plagariser , if they are not. You are a know .
    @GnosticChristian

No, I do not like this fact. Why do you keep attributing to me views that I do not hold and feelings that I do not have?

You seem to be making the common mistake which I informally call "Comparative bias". You seem to strongly dislike Christians, so those who do not dislike them you see, comparatively to you, as liking them. Yet I am absolutely neutral towards Christians. I judge individuals based on their actions, not their views.
    YeshuaBought
  • @MayCaesar ;

I look at the damage that religions do to society as a whole.

If you are neutral to Christianity, then you are not a decent person., given that they do not believe in equality of all. Male supremacy should always be fought against.

Both Christianity and Islam, slave holding ideologies, have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds and continue with their immoral ways in spite of secular law showing them the moral ways.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.

Gnostic Christians did in the past, and I am proudly continuing that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/theft-values/

Humanity centered religions, good? Yes.  Esoteric ecumenist Gnostic Christianity being the best of these.

Supernaturally based religions, evil? Yes. Islam and Christianity being the worst of these.

Regards

DL

• RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
    @GnosticChristian ; Islam is a religion, Christian is not. You serve the most destructive religion ever known to mankind, Atheism-Humanism-Naturalism (Socialism-Communism).
    @GnosticChristian

I said that I am neutral to Christians, not Christianity. I do not think highly of religions in general and think them childish, which is not a neutral characteristic - albeit they do not bother me enough to have any negative feelings about them either.

Jesus, as far as I know, recognised everyone as people, even the worst human right abusers, and promoted holding oneself responsible and forgiving everyone else. He did not prescribe being negative about people whose actions one disapproves of.

Did Jesus every say anything harsh/mean to people? https://carm.org/jesus-say-mean-things

@RickeyD

I do not think there is a single individual in human history that has never said anything harsh/mean to anyone - with the exception of those incapable of speaking, that is. We know only a very small fraction of all things Jesus of Nazareth had said throughout his life, and none of them seem to be mean/harsh.

His followers, on the other hand...
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -   edited January 2020
    @MayCaesar ; You don't know Jesus and I posted the Scripture of what Jesus has said to certain sinners...but this AI censorship won't allow those Scriptures to be posted. Again, you do NOT know my Lord.

You can read these Scriptures here: https://carm.org/jesus-say-mean-things
    smoothie
  • @RickeyD ;

Look up the World Peace Index and eat your words.

The less religion in a country, the more peaceful it is.

Regards
    DL
    smoothie
  • MayCaesar said:
    @GnosticChristian

I said that I am neutral to Christians, not Christianity. I do not think highly of religions in general and think them childish, which is not a neutral characteristic - albeit they do not bother me enough to have any negative feelings about them either.

Jesus, as far as I know, recognised everyone as people, even the worst human right abusers, and promoted holding oneself responsible and forgiving everyone else. He did not prescribe being negative about people whose actions one disapproves of.

Strange then that he threw a fit at the money changers and chastised his own flock when they criticized him.

Regardless, if you care so little about your sisters and brothers who have been discriminated against and denigrated by homophobic and misogynous religions like Christianity, you are not much of a decent human being. That is what Jesus would tell you about turning your back on your own for evil people.

Niemöller First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out— because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew. Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
    Need I say more or are you as resilient to good morals as Christians are?

Regards
    DL

Plaffelvohfen
    @GnosticChristian

There is a difference between constructive criticism (which can be given out of love), and negative feelings (which are indicative of some degree of hate or repulsion). I criticise Christianity and Christians' beliefs daily, but it does not make me think less of Christians.

I am quite an indecent human being. Ladies I have interacted with can attest to that! That said, most people I interact with seem to like me, and the minority who dislike me do not bother me that much, so I suppose I am doing fine here. What more can one hope for?

I do not know what "good morals" or "bad morals are"; from my perspective, all morals are subjective. I have my own moral system which is not based on any religion or ideology, but is based solely on my personal voluntarist views. Whether my morals are good or bad depends on the perspective; most people seem to agree with some of my morals and disagree with other morals.
    GnosticChristian
  • @MayCaesar ;

I thought you were a woman. Apologies.

That said, I stand by what I put and am pleased that you engage the religious homophobes and misogynous in this place.

You took the bite out of it with your reply. 

Regards
    DL 
    MayCaesar
    RickeyD said:
    @GnosticChristian ; Islam is a religion, Christian is not. You serve the most destructive religion ever known to mankind, Atheism-Humanism-Naturalism (Socialism-Communism).
    Agreed. Christianity, is an eternally secure, relationship, with Jesus.
    RickeyD