frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

should China shut down all access to/from China

Debate Information

As most of us know, there is a new outbreak of a virus, the novel coronavirus,(wuhan virus) is causing panic and fear worldwide and it was declared an emergency outbreak. So should we prevent all travel to/from China. I know it would heavily disrupt China economically but i can help contain the outbreak within China. Lastly for people in China,I know you probably think this is very selfish and is not fair but think about i, a large country or the whole world. Which one would you rather lose??

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1712 Pts   -  
    I don't think all access to China should be cut, I believe only closure of the Hubei province would be necessary to control the virus. There are currently only 216 deaths, all of which are in China, the vast majority of which are in the Hubei province. The city of Wuhan, the place where the virus originated, has already been closed, as have several other Chinese cities with significant mortality rates. In my opinion, no further action should be taken.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    As someone who has a few Chinese friends and acquaintances... I will have to refrain from saying what I think about your proposal, in the interest of politeness. Suffice to say that I would rather live in China, than in a society that has no trouble forcefully segregating 1.5 billion people over a minor outbreak in one province.

The total number of casualties of the virus has been 250. Approximately this many people die worldwide every 2 minutes to natural causes. Calm down and do not let the sensationalist media scare you with boogeymen into giving up the most basic principles of human decency.
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1712 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar
    Are you talking to me?
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

Was responding to the OP's proposal to prevent all travel to/from China. If we were to use this reasoning, we would have to permanently quarantine all countries on Earth, because in every country something happens every day that affects the rest of the world slightly.
  • Thank you for your responses