frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Do you believe in God? Some consider it a mental illness

Debate Information

Blastcat

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @Dee

Do you have a link to the website, that you're using to create a debate with? 

The evidence, or facts that can be used by you, to support the theme of your forum? 
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @TKDB

I'm not using a website to create a debate , I'm asking a question regarding what some think , you as usual have no answer what a surprise 
    Blastcat
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6021 Pts   -  
    What is considered "mental illness" is quite subjective and changes with time. In general, "illness" is something that seriously impairs one's body's ability to function properly; believing in god in itself certainly does not, albeit it can come in conjunction with some beliefs that do. Regardless, simply having an odd belief is not the same as being ill, as in having some sort of physical impairment.

I see it as indication of something different. As children, we have pretty naive and care-free attitude towards life; as we grow up, we become more pragmatic and serious. But different people grow up at different rates and indifferent ways, and some people in some regards do not grow up at all. For example, I have never grew out of that care-free attitude; I am nearly 30, and still I treat life as a party to have fun on, constantly performing stunts and cracking jokes in real life - although I can be serious at times, as I am right now, writing this post. In that sense, I am a child in an adult's body.

I have always seen people who believe in god as children who never grew out of playing with toys in a sense. Remember how, when we were little kids, we have plush toys, for which we would come up with their background and history, their personality traits, they relationships with each other, etc.? The concept of god is kind of like that: a bunch of stories and images based on nothing but one's imagination. Some people just never grew tired of playing with these stories.
    Blastcat
  • Dee said:

Yes and no.

A supernatural god. No.

Only the most insecure and gullible will believe that we have a sky daddy.

Yes in the sense of a god defined as a perfect ideology and way of life for us to follow.

That is what we are to seek, it exists and all we have to do is try to find it.

That is what the religious did in the distant past before the religious became too insecure and gullible and started killing for their imaginary sky daddies.

If and when the religious smarten up, they will revert to that more Gnostic Christian time.

Let all non-believers pray that that day comes soon. The present religions are moral garbage and the sooner we are rid of them the better.

Regards
    DL

AlofRI
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @Dee ;

"Do you believe in God? Some consider it a mental illness."

@Dee, do you consider believing in god, a mental illness?

I believe in God, Jesus, and the Bible, so if you believe that I have a mental illness, can you support your opinion, with any actual Medical Evidence, in regards to me, to PROVE your hypothesis?

YeshauBought believed in God, do you believe that she has a mental illness? If you believe that , do you have her Medical documentation to prove that she had mental illness? 

So, where is you evidence to support your own opinion, that when it comes to people having mental illness, when it comes to their Religious choices? 
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -   edited February 2020
    @MayCaesar ;

Where is your EVIDENCE that God, is like a toy? 

• GnosticChristianGnosticChristian 285 Pts   -   edited February 2020
    Dee

The universities and their professors seem to think it is a mental disorder.

It is labelled organized schizophrenia. I do not think I agree with the term as I think religions are just tribal units that we use to appease our tribal natures and fill our need of fellowship.

That is why the Republican's exist. They play to our baser tribal natures and offer the less intelligent fellowship. 

Regads
    DL
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @TKDB

I do 

***I believe in God, Jesus, and the Bible, so if you believe that I have a mental illness, can you support your opinion, with any actual Medical Evidence, in regards to me, to PROVE your hypothesis?

I don't need to " support "
    my opinion as it's based on rationality as you believe Jesus resurrected , that's not rational

YeshauBought believed in God, do you believe that she has a mental illness? If you believe that , do you have her Medical documentation to prove that she had mental illness? 

She gas has openly admitted she's mentally ill for years do you ever read what people say?

I note you never mentioned Ricky bet you think he's sane do you?

*****So, where is you evidence to support your own opinion, that when it comes to people having mental illness, when it comes to their Religious choices? 

Read above proven 
    Blastcat
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @Dee

Your opinion is supported by your own brain.
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    Wouldn't say it's an "illness" per se, an illness would be incapacitating and it's hard to make that case with religion... But I do think it's more of a condition like autism and it's also a spectrum... 
    GnosticChristianAlofRIZeusAres42
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • TKDB said:
    @Dee

Your opinion is supported by your own brain.
    That is the same condition you have. Right?

Regards
    DL
    Plaffelvohfen
  • Wouldn't say it's an "illness" per se, an illness would be incapacitating and it's hard to make that case with religion... But I do think it's more of a condition like autism and it's also a spectrum... 

I see the condition as causing people to lie about things that they cannot possibly know so I guess it could be a mix of autism and the Stockholm Syndrome, given that they end in calling evil good.

Regards
    DL
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @TKDB ;

Yes , what a " brilliant insight "
    GnosticChristianPlaffelvohfenBlastcat
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @Dee

Would it be fair to say, that basically what you're attempting to do is, engage in some (Anti Religious Cleansing?)

"Do you believe in God? Some consider it a mental illness"

The evidence to your efforts:

"I do"

***I believe in God, Jesus, and the Bible, so if you believe that I have a mental illness, can you support your opinion, with any actual Medical Evidence, in regards to me, to PROVE your hypothesis?

"I don't need to " support "
    my opinion as it's based on rationality as you believe Jesus resurrected , that's not rational."

@Dee

It's not rational because you say so?

Do you maybe think that the Queen of England herself, might have a mental illness herself, if she is religious oriented?

Do you maybe believe that the Pope himself has a mental illness?

If you maybe believe so, then why not REACH out to the Vatican and have him removed based on your individual rationale?

"She gas has openly admitted she's mentally ill for years do you ever read what people say?

Sure, I have read, what she said, I think that she's one of the most honest females on the Internet. 

She is brave for sharing what she did.

I applaud her courage.

"I note you never mentioned Ricky bet you think he's sane do you?"

I'm not RickyD's Doctor, so I'm not going to make a judgement or speculate about a person's sanity, in order to use it to reinforce ones own bias mindset.

*****So, where is you evidence to support your own opinion, that when it comes to people having mental illness, when it comes to their Religious choices? 

"Read above proven"

@Dee, All I'm reading from you is hearsay, and your self enforced anti religious narratives.

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    I@TKDB

***** Would it be fair to say, that basically what you're attempting to do is, engage in some (Anti Religious Cleansing?)

No it wouldn’t be “fair” as it’s not true 

"Do you believe in God? Some consider it a mental illness"

****The evidence to your efforts:

It's not rational because you say so?

When you prove a man resurrected from the dead you may have a case but you cannot can you 

***/Do you maybe think that the Queen of England herself, might have a mental illness herself, if she is religious oriented?

I believe like you she is deluded 

*****Do you maybe believe that the Pope himself has a mental illness?

Read above 

*****If you maybe believe so, then why not REACH out to the Vatican and have him removed based on your individual rationale?

Why would I do that? 

****Yeshua believed in God, do you believe that she has a mental illness? If you believe that , do you have her Medical documentation to prove that she had mental illness? 

"She gas has openly admitted she's mentally ill for years do you ever read what people say?

Sure, I have read, what she said, I think that she's one of the most honest females on the Internet. 

She is brave for sharing what she did.

I applaud her courage.

Indeed , yet you denied  she was mentally ill 

*****I'm not RickyD's Doctor, so I'm not going to make a judgement or speculate about a person's sanity, in order to use it to reinforce ones own bias mindset.

Ah you’re afraid of Ricky ok 

"Read above proven"

*****All I'm reading from you is hearsay, and your self enforced anti religious narratives.

You believe in a supernatural entity that cannot be seen , heard or touched that’s not anti religious or bias that’s a fact ...suck it up big boy

Blastcat
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    I don't see it as an illness ….  until it develops to "fever stage". When one begins to LIVE for a "god", to not do anything that they can't find (or twist), a reason for out of an "instruction book", and also, likely excuse everything they do … good or bad … WITH that instruction book, it BECOMES a mental illness.

Robert Persig said: "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When MANY suffer from a delusion, it's called a religion." 

Delusion being the key word. Only when the god belief becomes all controlling is it "mental illness". Some people, I think, use their religion as a "stop and think" function, like, "What would my god want me to do?" What would their guidebook say. That's a very good thing, I'm sure it has saved many lives. In like manner, if the "thinker" was delusional, it has cost lives, it has reached the fever stage. Too much of ANYTHING can be bad … including religion. I have nothing against it as long as it is kept personal or within groups that follow society's "rules".

Often, it is, as George Carlin said: "The last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." (The God excuse). It CAN be helpful to many, unless they develop the "fever", …. the illness.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -   edited February 2020
    An actual "mental illness" is a refusal or inability to apprehend the overwhelming evidence before you and come to a logical conclusion about its relevance. Anyone with a modicum of commonsense, wisdom, discernment, mental acuity, can gaze at a clear night sky and discern the necessity for design and therefore a Designer. According to God the Holy Spirit, it is "the fool" (Psalm 14:1; Romans 1:18-32) that sees the supernatural evidence in Nature mandating our Creator then looks away and concludes that this supernatural phenomena manifest by chance. That is evidence of an untenable psychosis and the atheist, naturalist, is not only a and a fool but they are mentally ill.

PlaffelvohfenDeeAlofRIBlastcat
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -   edited February 2020
    @Dee

Sure it's true.

Anti Religious Cleansing, is a polite and sterile version of Ethnic Cleansing.

***** Would it be fair to say, that basically what you're attempting to do is, engage in some (Anti Religious Cleansing?)

"No it wouldn’t be “fair” as it’s not true."

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited February 2020
    @TKDB

**** Sure it's true.

It’s not the truth is an alien concept to you 

*****Anti Religious Cleansing, is a polite and sterile version of Ethnic Cleansing.

You say some really st-p-d   things I put this in  your top 5
    PlaffelvohfenAlofRIBlastcat