frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

All people should have the right to own guns.

Debate Information

Nay if you disagree
Hypr

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• You do realize that "all" means "all" right which includes even convicted criminals currently in prison?

• PiggoPiggo 7 Pts   -  
    I would change the topic a bit. "Should US citizens have the right to own a guns"@ZeusAres42
  • PiggoPiggo 7 Pts   -  
  • Nay.

All people have a United State Constitutional right to common defense this is because it is assigned. A common defense includes fire-arm or as better known Gun. People claim many foolish things as a right, very few people have an understanding of identifying a United state created by circumstance as it relates to all.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6045 Pts   -  
    There is something wrong with asking "Should people have the right X?", as the right by definition is not something that can be granted by people. Rights are something people possess, and the question is only whether those rights are violated or not. The more proper question would not be "Should people have the right to own guns?", but "Should the government infringe on people's right to own guns?"

Anyone who has been on this website long enough knows my stance on this kind of matters... The answer is nearly always "No". If one has to even ask such question, then it means that the answer is almost certainly "No". Whenever there is the slightest suspicion that a certain right is important, the government should stay away from it.
    Blastcat
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -   edited February 2020
    The Second Amendment needs to be Amended to state, that citizens have a right to bear legal arms, and not illegal arms.

Thousands of illegal guns, are used by criminals, and offenders to commit their street crimes with.

Just as some of the legal guns, are used by first time offenders, to commit their crimes with as well. 

The 400 Million guns in the United States, has enabled, plenty of gun violence crimes to be committed.

Thus placing millions of peaceful US citizens, in  various types of peril, that get committed by the above mentioned criminals, and offenders, day in and day out, across the country.

There are more guns in the U.S., then there are U.S. citizens.
  • @MayCaesar ;

A person might say a right can be established as a means to create all men equal by their creator. Provided that it is the united state of right which is shared equally by all men. Is this a statement that can be agree as true.

All people have a right to own a guns, and it is this reason that not all guns should have bullets.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  

If one lives in a society without guns do you think guns should be introduced as a choice?  If so how will that prove improve society?

PlaffelvohfenBlastcat
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1712 Pts   -  
    No, I don't think everyone should be entitled to own a gun. There are some people who cannot be trusted to own a gun. Also, if kids grow up in a house containing guns, they will learn that violence is OK.
  • Piggo said:
    I would change the topic a bit. "Should US citizens have the right to own a guns"@ZeusAres42
    @Piggo I guess I was being pedantic haha. Anyway, first and foremost it needs to be made clear to people that rights are not the same thing as a license. With that being said, even a license comes with restrictions.

Moreover, I do not think it's accurate to say all US citizens should have a right to own guns. I also do not think it's accurate to say that all US citizens should not have a right to own a gun. This right depends on the person, their background, history, psychological evaluations, the state and country in which they live in, etc.

So in summary no, not everyone should have the right to own a gun. However, I see no reason to revoke the right of owning a gun from every single US citizen in the country.

@Piggo

@CYDdharta

Some gun owners, abuse others, like they abuse their illegal guns.

Examples of gun abuse:

Race on race gun violence crimes, and the non race on race gun violence crimes.

Innocent kids, being murdered, or wounded by criminals or offenders are illegally engaging in random acts of illegal gun fire, while kids are inside the safety of their own homes.

Mass shootings.

Murder/ Suicide.

Domestic violence and abuse cases, involving both legal guns, and illegal guns.

The Illegal gun owners, are abusing the Second Amendment, and the rest of the United States Constitution, along with the Bill of Rights.

"All people should have the right to own guns."

Criminals and offenders, have no business owning any type of guns.

The Second Amendment needs to be Amended to state, that citizens have a right to bear legal arms, and not illegal arms.

Thousands of illegal guns, are used by criminals, and offenders to commit their street crimes with.

Just as some of the legal guns, are used by first time offenders, to commit their crimes with as well. 

The 400 Million guns in the United States, has enabled, plenty of gun violence crimes to be committed.

Thus placing millions of peaceful US citizens, in  various types of peril, that get committed by the above mentioned criminals, and offenders, day in and day out, across the country.

There are more guns in the U.S., then there are U.S. citizens. 

And there should be a pre gun owning Law, stating as of TODAY, that states, that all pre gun owning applicants should go through a mental health exam.

If any newbie gun applicant maybe has an issue with that hypothetical law, then maybe that individual U.S. citizen, has a problem with the overall safety that the public deserves, when it comes to the desire of the pre gun owning applicant? 

Safety first.

• CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1833 Pts   -  
    Dee said:

If one lives in a society without guns do you think guns should be introduced as a choice?  If so how will that prove improve society?

What society doesn't have guns?
  • @CYDdharta ;
    Or? More importantly.
    What united state does?
    Plaffelvohfen
  • @P

Sorry, I must have telepathically typed a response to something you said to be somehow relevant to you. As a non-American thick of it this way to keep it basic. Everyone has a constitutional right to own a gun. The gun as a united states  not just in  America does not have a constitutional right to own bullets.

Plaffelvohfen
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -   edited February 2020
    A right is nothing more than an ideological standard.  I can say with impunity that I have the right to take anything I want from anyone at any time and while the idea might be solid in my mind...the standard of approval doesn't exist within the confines of my thoughts.  "Other people" are what's required to establish a right as anything more than an idea and if you can convince other people of such a thing then yes, you may very well have an established right.

So in this sense, sure, everyone has the right to own guns.  A better question that you should ask yourself is "Who will enforce everyone's right to own a gun"?  Also, see here: https://www.debateisland.com/discussion/1236/violence-solves-everything
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

@Vaulk

"Violence Solves Everything"

"Violence is not only a natural part of our Human History, but it's essential to our survival.  I'm not suggesting that we need to religiously embrace violence like the Spartans but an honest look at Violence would, in my opinion, help us to understand ourselves better.  More importantly though, I think we need to stop teaching and preaching the fraudulent idea that Violence is wrong or that it "Doesn't solve anything" because it's dishonest at best."

An individual killing another individual over guns, drugs, property, or what have you, is nothing but the actions of a coward who hides behind violence, to suit the cowards messed up mindset, that they've nurtured, by being a closeted coward.

Violence is a "Mentality Abortion," of ones own heart and soul. 

Kids being shot by kid's, like the School shooters of the past. (This isn't any sort of a standard.)

Adults shooting adults. (This isn't any sort of a standard.)

Murder/ Suicide. (This isn't any sort of a standard.)

Domestic violence and abuse. (This isn't any sort of a standard.)

All are examples of "Mentality Abortions."

• PiggoPiggo 7 Pts   -  
    People abuse guns whether if it's legal or illegal. A gun is tended to be the second dangerous weapon in the world. Can such uncontrollable citizens handle such things? Compare to Japan; free-guns state. No shootings at all and less crime. The US should ban the citizen's right to bear guns.
  • PiggoPiggo 7 Pts   -  
    Piggo said:
    @Piggo I guess I was being pedantic haha. Anyway, first and foremost it needs to be made clear to people that rights are not the same thing as a license. With that being said, even a license comes with restrictions.

Moreover, I do not think it's accurate to say all US citizens should have a right to own guns. I also do not think it's accurate to say that all US citizens should not have a right to own a gun. This right depends on the person, their background, history, psychological evaluations, the state and country in which they live in, etc.

So in summary no, not everyone should have the right to own a gun. However, I see no reason to revoke the right of owning a gun from every single US citizen in the country.
    Would it be good if there's individual background status on their license
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    Piggo said:
    People abuse guns whether if it's legal or illegal. A gun is tended to be the second dangerous weapon in the world. Can such uncontrollable citizens handle such things? Compare to Japan; free-guns state. No shootings at all and less crime. The US should ban the citizen's right to bear guns.
    Using Japan as an example in order to support your opinion of what should happen in regards to the United States' 2nd amendment isn't appropriate.  Japanese Citizens don't have the freedoms that United States Citizens have, the two countries aren't comparable in terms of laws and regulations.  It's virtually nothing for a Country that evolved from Imperial rule to a constitutional monarchy to choose what privacy its citizens may and may not have, to enforce an over-reaching rule of law with impunity and to regulate child prostitution while benefiting from it financially.  

There are people in this world who are perfectly happy with handing over all of their freedom in exchange for a total care package where the Government tells you where to live, what to eat, where to work and chooses for you in terms of what you can and cannot have.  I wish them all the best.  In the United States though, we have freedom on a scale that cannot be measured against any other Nation, the freedom to break free of anything that we do not approve of and to overthrow the U.S. Government if we so choose.  The 2nd Amendment is necessary in order to maintain that freedom.  It's an unfortunate and inconvenient side effect that chaos and lawlessness often accompanies those freedoms...for anyone who refuses to live with the chaotic side-effects...I'd recommend moving somewhere like Japan instead.
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• Piggo said:
    Piggo said:

Would it be good if there's individual background status on their license

@Piggo That I am not entirely sure about.

• Piggo said:

@Piggo Correlation is not causation. Just because there are less shootings and/or less crime overall does not automatically mean because it is to do with a blanket gun ban.

• No, I don't think everyone should be entitled to own a gun. There are some people who cannot be trusted to own a gun. Also, if kids grow up in a house containing guns, they will learn that violence is OK.
    That's nonsense. Kids don't learn violence from having defensive tools in the house. You need to re-evaluate your argument.
    A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.
  • HyprHypr 7 Pts   -  
    @Piggo I think that not all people should have the right to own guns. Like criminals or people with disabilities that effect decision making and the brain. I think the laws as is are great and could become even better in the future