frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Does Everybody Deserve Equal Righs?

Debate Information

Does Everybody deserve equal rights? 

joecavalry

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Yes, Everybody should have equal rights.
    EmeryPearson
  • Yes, of course they do.
    EmeryPearson
  • EmeryPearsonEmeryPearson 151 Pts   -  
    No. Those who have proven themselves unable to respect the rights of others, should have their rights limited through the justice system.

Only those willing to respect equal rights, deserve equal rights.
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    No, criminals should not have equal rights due to them commuting a crime/s.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • Vincent_CostanzoVincent_Costanzo 93 Pts   -  
    If you trample on the rights of another then you forfeit some of your rights. It's right there in the U.S. Constitution right in the thirteenth amendment "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction." everyone has the right not to be enslaved or forced to work until they commit a crime and are being punished. This shows that rights can be restricted in a just punishment for a crime. Even think about freedom of movement or some degree of self-determination which is restricted by the very nature of a prison.
    WokeWhale
  • AmericanFurryBoyAmericanFurryBoy 531 Pts   -  
    No, if they cant respect the laws put out by society, they dont deserve anything. Including rights.
    This is why I like the phrase “No Lives Matter”.
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -  
    No, if they cant respect the laws put out by society, they dont deserve anything. Including rights.
    This is why I like the phrase “No Lives Matter”.
    So if I kill you, you wouldn't mind?

i fart cows
  • SonofasonSonofason 448 Pts   -  
    A right, is "a moral or legal entitlement to have or obtain something or to act in a certain way."
    https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=EFPvWryGMtLs_Qb8pJu4Bg&q=rights+def&oq=rights+def&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l10.1420.4785.0.4941.12.10.0.1.1.0.75.571.9.10.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.11.645.6..35i39k1j0i131k1j0i20i264k1j0i131i20i264k1.69.Z4A-wCsCJHE

If we could agree that morality is subjective, and that legal entitlements are simply human constructs based on agreed upon subjective moralities of the individuals who participate in contriving such legal entitlements, I would say from an objective perspective that no one actually deserves any rights whatsoever, as they are mere fabrications.  Rights are not something that anyone deserves, but rather something that is given to others by those capable and willing to give them.  

In my mind it is similar to the idea grace.  Consider this by the contrast we see in the mercy and grace of God.  By God's mercy some people won't get what they deserve.  And by God's grace some people will be given that which they don't deserve.  It is by the grace of others that we have rights.  It is not deserved.  It is a gift.  

Now you can certainly write it down as a legal entitlement and try to pass it off as some thing that actually exists, that somehow by virtue of just being human that you are somehow entitled to the entitlements of rights, but it is not true.  It is a gift, and it can be taken away, by anyone in an instant, because it's not real.  I can give you the right to speak, but if I believe that you have spoken too much, I can easily take away your so called right to speak.  

But wait..."I have a right to life"   ...no you don't.  
    This answer was based on the concept of rights that I believe most people refer to when speaking about rights, such as human rights etc.

However, there is another definition for "rights" that I believe we can talk about that is real and objective.  When considering such rights, we shall see that they truly exist, and cannot be simply taken away by anyone on a whim.  Here are some examples of what I mean.

You have the right to love God with all your heart and with all your mind.  No one can ever take that away from you.
    You have the right to not steal from others.  No one can force you to steal anything from another human being.  It is a God given right to not steal from others.
    You have the right to not kill another human being.  No one can force you to kill anyone.  It is your God given right to not commit murder.
    You have the right to tell the truth.  No one can take away this right.  It is a God given right.  It is an inalienable right.
    You have the right to be faithful to your spouse.  No one can force you to willingly commit adultery.
    You have the right to believe in one God.
    You have the right to not covet that which belongs to someone else.
    You have the right to honor your mother and father.
    You do not necessarily have the right to say what you want, but you do have the right to not say what you do not want to say.
    These are God given inalienable rights that we have that no one can take away from us.  Therefore they are real and true.
    Where there is no grace, there are no rights.
    Yes, Everybody should have equal rights.
    I am trying to consider what you are saying here.  In doing so I was compelled to check the definition of the word "everybody" that you used with regard to who it is that should have equal rights.  

Everybody can be defined as every person.
    Everybody can be defined as everyone.
    Everybody can also be defined as every important person.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/everybody
    you will see this definition on this website if you simply scroll down a little.  

So I am curious.  Who do you mean should have equal rights when you say everybody? How do you define everybody?
    Is it that every human body (every body) should have equal rights?  Because as I see it, many unborn human beings are being deprived of their right to life simply because their bodies simply lack the ability to survive outside their mother's womb, are incapable of defending their supposed right to life, and do not have a strength or force behind them capable or willing to defend their right to life.  Or, could it be that there is no one with sufficient grace to give them the right to life that they supposedly deserve?

Who has sufficient grace to call an unborn child an important person?

@anonymousdebater
    Prisoners could have equal rights, if we had sufficient grace to give them equal rights.  But then again, if we gave prisoners equal rights, we'd have to release them from prison.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    It is a very complicated question. As some people mentioned above, what a "right" is can be interpreted differently by different schools of thought. (Is a freedom to raise your children however you see fit a right? Is the freedom for children to act independently of their parents' opinion a right?) Furthermore, even the most liberal schools of thought usually support certain limitations of rights for people below certain age, people who have committed a crime, people whose identity cannot be immediately proven, people who reject the most fundamental values in the society...

At the same time, what is usually implied by "equal rights" is an equal playing field for everyone at the starting point. While a prisoner will have their rights restricted compared to a free individual, such disparity is not a result of a particular discrimination against the prisoner for who they are, but rather the reaction of the state on their actions - the reaction universal with regards to all people, regardless of who they are. 
    Of course, a similar argument can be made in support of a totalitarian state such as North Korea, where people punished for speaking against the state is the result of the state reacting to their actions regardless of who they are; so some additional clarification is needed. In a way, "equal rights" is a loaded term implying not the equality between different people in itself, but also a certain set of human rights that is respected by the state, and a certain degree of tolerance of the society and the government towards people that do not conform with its expectations.  

I would give a positive response to your question, under the assumption of its common interpretation. If instead I was to use a literal interpretation, then I would have to respond negatively.
    SonofasonBaconToes
    Sonofason said:

In my mind it is similar to the idea grace.  Consider this by the contrast we see in the mercy and grace of God.  By God's mercy some people won't get what they deserve.  And by God's grace some people will be given that which they don't deserve.  It is by the grace of others that we have rights.  It is not deserved.  It is a gift.  

Now you can certainly write it down as a legal entitlement and try to pass it off as some thing that actually exists, that somehow by virtue of just being human that you are somehow entitled to the entitlements of rights, but it is not true.  It is a gift, and it can be taken away, by anyone in an instant, because it's not real.  I can give you the right to speak, but if I believe that you have spoken too much, I can easily take away your so called right to speak.  

This answer was based on the concept of rights that I believe most people refer to when speaking about rights, such as human rights etc.

However, there is another definition for "rights" that I believe we can talk about that is real and objective.  When considering such rights, we shall see that they truly exist, and cannot be simply taken away by anyone on a whim.  Here are some examples of what I mean.

You have the right to love God with all your heart and with all your mind.  No one can ever take that away from you.
    You have the right to not steal from others.  No one can force you to steal anything from another human being.  It is a God given right to not steal from others.
    You have the right to not kill another human being.  No one can force you to kill anyone.  It is your God given right to not commit murder.
    You have the right to tell the truth.  No one can take away this right.  It is a God given right.  It is an inalienable right.
    You have the right to be faithful to your spouse.  No one can force you to willingly commit adultery.
    You do not necessarily have the right to say what you want, but you do have the right to not say what you do not want to say.
    These are God given inalienable rights that we have that no one can take away from us.  Therefore they are real and true.
    I was actually agreeing with you until you started talking about God. Real and objective? Truly exist? God-given? Real and true? Haha.
    i fart cows
  • MikeMike 97 Pts   -  

According to the latest scientific research, everyone has “Equal Rights”!

Professor Adrian Bejan (the Professor who discovered the constructal law, aka “unalienable Rights”), the scientific community recently celebrated his contribution to science at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia.

BaconToes said:
    Sonofason said:

I was actually agreeing with you until you started talking about God. Real and objective? Truly exist? God-given? Real and true? Haha.
    I do not understand why you would object.  These are the 10 commandments, and you have the unalienable right to obey each and every one of them, and there is no way that anyone can every force you to disobey these laws...no way anyone can take away these rights.  And they are given to us by Moses, who was given them by God.  You can object if you want, but these are your rights.  

You think you have a right to life, a right to liberty, and these can be taken from you in an instant.  Rights that humans are capable of given are not rights at all...they are gifts given by good and decent human beings.  And there are millions of evil persons who would take them from you in an instant.  Where is your right to life when someone shoots you in the face?
  • WokeWhaleWokeWhale 41 Pts   -  
    @Sonofason I think that it would clear things up if you offered an explanation as to why these commandments are more unalienable than other rights.

If I read your contribution correctly, I believe that you said "I do not understand why you would object.  These are the 10 commandments, and you have the unalienable right to obey each and every one of them, and there is no way that anyone can every force you to disobey these laws...no way anyone can take away these rights.  And they are given to us by Moses, who was given them by God.  You can object if you want, but these are your rights". Yet that is a fallacy. There are many, many ways to strip a person of these afromentioned rights. "You have the right to not kill another human being.  No one can force you to kill anyone.  It is your God given right to not commit murder". A gun placed in your hand. Another guiding your hand, aiming the weapon at another, and using your finger to kill another. There are many ways to bypass these so called "unalienable rights".

"You think you have a right to life, a right to liberty, and these can be taken from you in an instant.  Rights that humans are capable of given are not rights at all...they are gifts given by good and decent human beings.  And there are millions of evil persons who would take them from you in an instant.  Where is your right to life when someone shoots you in the face?". This sets the premise for the advocation of slavery, as well as murder. Are you saying that simply because there are those who seek to deprive you of rights, that you now have no rights? That seems like extremely flawed reasoning.

"These are God given inalienable rights that we have that no one can take away from us. Therefore they are real and true". Are they true because they are God given? This seems like a large lapse in logic where one situation is used to justify another. "Drinking water is immoral because the Greek god Poseidon takes displeasure in your consumption of water". Using one dubious claim to justify your own dubious claim is never logical, nor does it lend your argument any sense of reason.

In conclusion, your entire argument looks to be heavily based around the existence of God, another topic that is incredibly difficult, if not impossible to prove, and all your justifications are either based around Christian values or completely absurd reasoning such as logic which states that simply because rights can be taken away, they are no longer rights. I think it is safe to say that your reasoning is complete rhetoric.

BaconToes
  • WokeWhaleWokeWhale 41 Pts   -   edited May 2018
    Yes, everyone deserves equal rights, because without these fundamental premises our society would crumble. The basic rights to life, to speech, to freedom, are all rights that allow for the growth of our modern society. These notions of human rights are one of the largest differentiators between us and say the Ancient Romans or Egyptians.

• MikeMike 97 Pts   -  

Relative to a discovery in thermodynamics called the constructal law states:

“For a flow system to persist in time (to live), it must evolve freely such that it provides greater access to its currents.”

Our “unalienable Rights” claimed by Thomas Jefferson of “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness” in the US Declaration of Independence has a one-to-one mapping to the physical constructal law:

For a flow system to persist in time (to live) [Life], it must evolve freely [Liberty] such that it provides greater access [the pursuit of] to its currents [human Happiness or positive feedback for all life].

All flow systems, when given freedom guided by the constructal law, evolves into dendritic configurations. Both animate and inanimate systems are trapped within the matrix of the laws of nature—there are no exceptions. Life is a product of the laws of nature and, in a sense to quote American scientist Carl Sagan, “life is a way for nature to see and experience itself.”

The US Constitution was designed to embrace and protect the individual’s “unalienable Rights” from the crimes of others and from the crimes of government, no more, no less; the State governments did all the rest. As a result the US changed the world like no other in recorded history in a short period of 200 years through advances in technology, food production, and medicine; a social empirical data point offers a compelling example of what can happen when our unalienable rights are free to flow within the awesome machinery of nature.

In other words, when any government follows the physical constructal law, they will improve the standard of living for their citizens while increasing the wealth for their nation.  

WokeWhale said:
    @Sonofason I think that it would clear things up if you offered an explanation as to why these commandments are more unalienable than other rights.

If I read your contribution correctly, I believe that you said "I do not understand why you would object.  These are the 10 commandments, and you have the unalienable right to obey each and every one of them, and there is no way that anyone can every force you to disobey these laws...no way anyone can take away these rights.  And they are given to us by Moses, who was given them by God.  You can object if you want, but these are your rights". Yet that is a fallacy. There are many, many ways to strip a person of these afromentioned rights. "You have the right to not kill another human being.  No one can force you to kill anyone.  It is your God given right to not commit murder". A gun placed in your hand. Another guiding your hand, aiming the weapon at another, and using your finger to kill another. There are many ways to bypass these so called "unalienable rights".

"You think you have a right to life, a right to liberty, and these can be taken from you in an instant.  Rights that humans are capable of given are not rights at all...they are gifts given by good and decent human beings.  And there are millions of evil persons who would take them from you in an instant.  Where is your right to life when someone shoots you in the face?". This sets the premise for the advocation of slavery, as well as murder. Are you saying that simply because there are those who seek to deprive you of rights, that you now have no rights? That seems like extremely flawed reasoning.

"These are God given inalienable rights that we have that no one can take away from us. Therefore they are real and true". Are they true because they are God given? This seems like a large lapse in logic where one situation is used to justify another. "Drinking water is immoral because the Greek god Poseidon takes displeasure in your consumption of water". Using one dubious claim to justify your own dubious claim is never logical, nor does it lend your argument any sense of reason.

In conclusion, your entire argument looks to be heavily based around the existence of God, another topic that is incredibly difficult, if not impossible to prove, and all your justifications are either based around Christian values or completely absurd reasoning such as logic which states that simply because rights can be taken away, they are no longer rights. I think it is safe to say that your reasoning is complete rhetoric.

Well, you're wrong.  No human being can be forced by any other human being to willfully engage in any action that would cause the death of another human being.  If someone physically forces a gun into your hand, all action causing you to hold the gun is the result of the person who forced the gun into your hand.  If someone were to exert a physical force that causes the trigger of the gun to be depressed, and as a result of that force, a bullet is fired and someone is killed, it is the person who exerted the force that is responsible for someone being shot and/or killed, regardless who's finger was on the trigger.  I think it is safe to say that my reasoning is completely logical, justified and true.  True human rights cannot be taken away by any living being, because human rights are inalienable God given rights.  Civil rights on the other hand are simply gracious gifts of mere men.  They are certainly not inalienable, and they can change on a whim.
    Sonofason said:
    BaconToes said:
    Sonofason said:

I do not understand why you would object.  These are the 10 commandments, and you have the unalienable right to obey each and every one of them, and there is no way that anyone can every force you to disobey these laws...no way anyone can take away these rights.  And they are given to us by Moses, who was given them by God.  You can object if you want, but these are your rights.  

You think you have a right to life, a right to liberty, and these can be taken from you in an instant.  Rights that humans are capable of given are not rights at all...they are gifts given by good and decent human beings.  And there are millions of evil persons who would take them from you in an instant.  Where is your right to life when someone shoots you in the face?
    As @WokeWhale said, your assertion heavily relies on the assumption that God really exists.
    And, no real evidence from anyone yet.

i fart cows
  • averyaproaveryapro 150 Pts   -  
    I think it depends on the person. If you haven't committed any crimes and you are a good person than all of those people that are innocent should have equal rights. If you have different skin color, religious beliefs, etc. then you should be as equal as everyone else. However, if you have committed a crime you shouldn't be treated equal because you did something that's going to hurt your rights because you will obviously be in jail and you won't have the same rights as everyone else.
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    They do, the answer being none at all. You get what you can earn not what you deserve but if society thinks you deserve some more rights than the rest then that's great.

Had I been born a pig on a farm I sure would understand what it means to be on the losing end of the 'rights game' since my farmer would have more.
    BaconToes said:
    Sonofason said:
    BaconToes said:
    Sonofason said:

As @WokeWhale said, your assertion heavily relies on the assumption that God really exists.

It doesn't matter whether God exists or not.  You still have the unalienable right to obey all of the 10 commandments, and no one could ever take away those rights short of extinguishing your life.  A person's so called right to free speech, or right to have an abortion etc... only goes as far as a society or some individual in society permits that you have that right.  Therefore my argument stands firmly with or without God.
  • SonofasonSonofason 448 Pts   -   edited May 2018
    In fact, a person's right to not commit murder can't even be taken away if that person's life were extinguished.  Or in other words, you cannot take away my right to not commit murder, even if you take away my life.
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -   edited May 2018
    @Sonofason if you have ever been in a gang or mafia or have a clue of how they work or even been part of the government in a corrupt manner you'd know what a Hitman was as well as blackmail which are concepts that explain how the "right to not commit murder" can indeed be taken away. The entire military is about taking the right to not kill away from people but since it's legal it's not murder.
  • SonofasonSonofason 448 Pts   -   edited May 2018
    I completely disagree.  You never do not have the right to not commit murder.  In other words, you always have the right to not commit murder. If you were to be blackmailed, threatened or coerced in some way to commit a murder, the act of committing the murder is an act of choice, regardless the extent of the coercion.  Not committing murder is an inalienable right that we all have at all times, that no one can ever take away from us.  If we commit a murder, it is by our own choice that we do so.  I'm not saying that we cannot be convinced that committing murder is the better choice, but it is our choice; and we cannot be truly forced to do it.
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    @Sonofason If you want to go to that extreme of defining a right then the right to do anything is a right including to murder.
    Sonofason said:
    BaconToes said:
    Sonofason said:
    BaconToes said:
    Sonofason said:

It doesn't matter whether God exists or not.  You still have the unalienable right to obey all of the 10 commandments, and no one could ever take away those rights short of extinguishing your life.  A person's so called right to free speech, or right to have an abortion etc... only goes as far as a society or some individual in society permits that you have that right.  Therefore my argument stands firmly with or without God.
    Then you have the right to do anything. 
    Heres my 10 commandments, enjoy :)
    You have the right to not to love God with all your heart and with all your mind.  No one can ever take that away from you.
    You have the right to steal from others.  No one can force you to not steal anything from another human being.  It is a God given right to not steal from others.
    You have the right to kill another human being.  No one can force you to not kill anyone.  It is your God given right to not commit murder.
    You have the right to tell a lie.  No one can take away this right.  It is a God given right.  It is an inalienable right.
    You have the right to not be faithful to your spouse.  No one can force you to do it.
    You have the right to not believe in one God.
    You have the right to covet that which belongs to someone else.
    You have the right to not honor your mother and father.
    These are apparently my inalienable rights that we have that no one can take away from us.  Therefore they are real and true.
    someone234
    i fart cows
  • MikeMike 97 Pts   -  
    @BaconToes

Thomas Jefferson’s philosophy of “unalienable Rights” has a one-to-one mapping to the physical constructal law. A physical law in nature is omnipotent, where no man-made law or philosophy can change. In a letter to H. Tiffany, Jefferson said:

“Of liberty then I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will: but rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will, within the limits drawn around us by the equal rights [“unalienable Rights”] of others. I do not add ‘within the limits of the law’; because law is often but the tyrant’s will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual.”

Sonofason
  • ih8shartsih8sharts 59 Pts   -  
    Without a clearer definition or narrower perimeter of which rights you talk about. the answer is NO.
    @Sonofason If you want to go to that extreme of defining a right then the right to do anything is a right including to murder.
    Wrong, I can...or at least someone could restrain you and prevent you from ever committing murder.  Committing murder is not a right.  But no one can ever prevent you from not committing murder.  You have the inalienable right to not commit murder.
    BaconToes said:
    Sonofason said:
    BaconToes said:
    Sonofason said:
    BaconToes said:
    Sonofason said:

Then you have the right to do anything. 
    Heres my 10 commandments, enjoy :)
    You have the right to not to love God with all your heart and with all your mind.  No one can ever take that away from you.
    You have the right to steal from others.  No one can force you to not steal anything from another human being.  It is a God given right to not steal from others.
    You have the right to kill another human being.  No one can force you to not kill anyone.  It is your God given right to not commit murder.
    You have the right to tell a lie.  No one can take away this right.  It is a God given right.  It is an inalienable right.
    You have the right to not be faithful to your spouse.  No one can force you to do it.
    You have the right to not believe in one God.
    You have the right to covet that which belongs to someone else.
    You have the right to not honor your mother and father.
    These are apparently my inalienable rights that we have that no one can take away from us.  Therefore they are real and true.
    Not very well thought out.  And you only gave 9 commandments not 10 as you claimed.
    You may indeed have the right to not love God...I'll give you that one.   :+1:
    You do not have the right to steal from others.  People can prevent you from stealing.  :-1:
    You do not have the right to kill another human being.  People can prevent you from killing another human being.  :-1: 
    You do not have the right to tell a lie.  People can prevent you from telling lies.  :-1: 
    You do not have the right to not be faithful to your wife.  People can force you to be faithful.  If no one was willing to partner with you, you could not be unfaithful.  :-1: 
    You do not have the right to believe in one God.  You do not have a right to believe anything.  We don't choose our beliefs.  We can only be compelled by what we come to believe.  :-1: 
    You may indeed have the right to covet that which belongs to someone else.   :+1: 
    You may actually have the right to not honor your mother and father.  I'll have to think about this one a bit longer. :+1: 
    You're right in that we have the right to not say what you do not want to say.   :+1: 

Not bad...you got perhaps 4 of 9 right.  However 44% is a failing grade.  Don't worry I won't be counting on you for my rights. :)
    @BaconToes
    If your point was that we have more rights than the 10 I listed...You're right.
  • moscmosc 7 Pts   -  
    No.  An illegal alien does not merit the same Constitutional rights as have US citizens.  The same applies to Stateless refugees.  The latter throughout history have had little or no rights.  Proof: the experience of Jews in Europe.
  • moscmosc 7 Pts   -  
    No.  An illegal alien does not merit the same Constitutional rights as have US citizens.  The same applies to Stateless refugees.  The latter throughout history have had little or no rights.  Proof: the experience of Jews in Europe.