frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should we abolish freedom of the press?

Debate Information

Fake news is all the rage now. Many in our society only trust their specifically chosen news sources, and many do not trust any journalistic approaches at all. Can journalism be a trusted source of information, or are we on the cusp of the beginning of the end for freedom of the press? Should the government set strict guidelines for journalism and what it reports on?   

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    Fake news
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  

NO

SkepticalOnePlaffelvohfen
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    Why stop at the press though?? 
    SkepticalOne
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • Is news freedom press?
  • F no. If people are super gullible and/or shallow, it is not the fault of the press or the responsibility of government to fix.
    A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6021 Pts   -  
    Of course. There should be the Ministry of Truth that censors everything, and only the materials approved by the government should be allowed to be published. And every unsanctioned publication should lead to jail time or execution.

North Korea and Eritrea have this in place, and it seems to be working great! Freedom is scary and dangerous; totalitarianism is far better. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    SkepticalOnePlaffelvohfenBlastcat
    @Happy_Killbot

Wow. You certainly have a way with words? Would you care to elaborate?
    @Plaffelvohfen

Would you care to elaborate?
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    @piloteer

It was sarcasm...
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • Is the news a repeated grievance?
    @piloteer How about a picture?

Authoritarianism and Populist Rule  Lets talk about the
    PlaffelvohfenSkepticalOneMayCaesar
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,

• DDAN15DDAN15 16 Pts   -  
    No, we shouldn't abolish the first amendment that would make the constitution a useless piece of paper which allows for corrupt government meaning allowance for human rights abuses this causes an action-reaction spiral that would eventually kill America.
    @Happy_Killbot

I don't actually believe our freedom of the press should be taken away. I also do not believe that our rights are a given and they must be justified politically and philosophically. Can you do That? What are the benefits for you and for society and our country?  @Plaffelvohfen
    @piloteer

It was sarcasm...
    Really? Well thanx for clearing that up. ;)  
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6021 Pts   -  
    piloteer said:
    @Happy_Killbot

I don't actually believe our freedom of the press should be taken away. I also do not believe that our rights are a given and they must be justified politically and philosophically. Can you do That? What are the benefits for you and for society and our country?  @Plaffelvohfen
    This is the kind of things that must be experienced first-hand in order to be fully understood. Until you have gotten to live in a society with severely restricted freedom of speech and press, you cannot fully appreciate their importance.

I could justify them in many different ways, primarily with the same arguments as free market is justified with - market of openly competing ideas will generally produce a much better outcome than centrally-planned market of government-approved ideas - but these arguments will not have the same power as first-hand experience of living in a strongly authoritarian state will.
    Blastcat
    @piloteer

Here is my political justification for for freedom of the press:

Image result for tactical shotgun

And here is my philosophical justification:

Image result for glock 45 mm

If that doesn't answer your question, I'm afraid a demonstration may be necessary.
    SkepticalOnepiloteersmoothieBlastcat

@Happy_Killbot

Ooooo Happy, you just shot me..........................right in the heart big boy.
    @Happy_Killbot

Gee, I wonder if Rickey would enjoy my last post to you?
  • @piloteer ;

How would we abolish Freedom of Press?
    @John_C_87

Any methods that could be used would only be speculation on my part. 
  • Breaking the state of cost or charge in the press form is not really that hard to do. We do it when buying books, we like to read and when charging for books students must-read for educational purposes. This does not abolish the freedom of the press itself censorship does not abolish the freedom of the press it adds a charge to some one’s cost. If we are set out to abolish the institution of freedom in copied re-productions of writings what will it take?

The First Amendment is a united state. The first amendment is not America's first united state. I abolished abortion by taking away the frame in which the prejudice of women had been placed. This is the institution that was targeted. Where do we find an institution in freedom of the press?  I believe the answer rests in a united state between liberty and freedom.

• HyprHypr 7 Pts   -  
    @piloteer never abolish freedom of press because that makes freedom of speech something that could be removed in the future. We need to never ever even entertain the slight possibility of such a thing 
    @Hypr

I agree with you fully, but I don't agree that just because something is a freedom to us, it is automatically a given for us. It needs to be philosophically justified by demonstrating its benefits for society. My challenge is to ask people to do that. Leave us not forget how many people in society are now suspicious about independent news outlets. I'm willing to bet there's many people who believe independent news sources should be shuddered and our information should have government guidelines on reporting. This argument isn't to convince people who accept our freedom of speech is a given. It's a challenge for those people to philosophically overcome the suspicions of those who do not accept our freedom of press as legitimate any longer.       
  • @piloteer ;

The Freedom of the press is in a united state, a group of other principles as it is presented in the 1st Amendment, it is not a constitutional declaration as a common defense which is the focus of its address to be changed. The First Amendment does not abolish the United State Constitutional preamble as truth.