frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Guess the Fallacy and What is the most common?

Debate Information

Ok, so here is a game as I'm bored haha. I am going to make up some arguments and you've got to guess what they are. Then you can make your own and I or someone else can guess. In addition to that, we can discuss if they are fallacies or not and what would have to change for them to be valid or fallacious. Further to that, there is a poll at the end that asks what you consider to be the most common fallacy from your experience. So without further ado

1. Jim: "Where is your yarmulke, Bob?"
    Bob: I don't feel like wearing that right now thanks."
    Jim: "A True Jew always wears his yarmulke!"

2. Rob: "I believe in the theory of evolution."
    Kev: "Did you honestly just say that the whole human race like a bunch of monkeys?"

3. Alfred: There can be no logical, reasonable and/or rational debate in politics if the majority of either party is persistently just trying to convince the other/s to agree to their own view stemming from deeply ingrained biases instead of actually trying to reach a reasonably suitable a conclusion that each party can reasonably agree to.

4. David: "The Doctor said I need to have a scan."
    Mick: "You're just going to have a scan because a Doctor told you to? You know that's an appeal to authority right?"

5. James: "The higher and stronger the scientific consensus is the more likely the scient is wrong."

6. Rich: "My Uncle is a really intelligent guy and he says he believes Aliens do exist. Therefore, they must exist if he says it."

7: Glen: "Donald Trump made a good point about why taxes should be lowered."
    Brian: Donald Trump is a nutcase that never combs his hair properly. Therefore, nothing he says can be taken seriously."

I think I will leave it there for now. Over to you.

Josh_Drake
  1. Live Poll

From your experience what is the most common fallacy?

8 votes
    1. Argumentum Ad-Hominem
      12.50%
    2. Argumentum Ad-Hominem Circumstantial
        0.00%
    3. argumentum ad logicam (AKA the fallacy fallcy)
        0.00%
    4. The Strawman Fallacy
      62.50%
    5. argumentum ad verecundiam (AKA the argument from authority)
        0.00%
    6. no true scotsman (AKA apeal to purity)
        0.00%
    7. non-sequitur
      12.50%
    8. Weak/False Analogy
        0.00%
    9. false dichotomy
        0.00%
    10. false dilemma
        0.00%
    11. Definist Fallacy
        0.00%
    12. Slippery Slope
        0.00%
    13. Composition/Division
        0.00%
    14. Loaded Questioning
        0.00%
    15. Equivocation
        0.00%
    16. The burden of proof
      12.50%
    17. Tu Quoque
        0.00%
    18. Appeal to nature
        0.00%
    19. Special Pleading
        0.00%
    20. argumentum ad populum (AKA apeal to the people)
        0.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
56%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Well 3 votes at least. The strawman is winning so far. Might have to add some more options as there are hundreds of them.

Josh_Drake

• ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 Emerald Premium Member 2673 Pts   -   edited February 2020
    Strawman still in the lead. Strawman is quite common. It's also what I call a form intellectual cowardice; it's easy refute a distorted version of an argument rather than to address the original argument as it was presented. 
    Josh_Drake

• @ZeusAres42

1. No true scotsman
    2. Strawman
    3. False dichotomy
    4. Loaded question
    5. Circumstantial ad-hom
    6. Appeal to authority
    7. Non sequitur

How did I do?

I would have voted for argument from ignorance as the most common fallacy if it had been available.

ZeusAres42
    A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.
  • @ZeusAres42

1. No true scotsman
    2. Strawman
    3. False dichotomy
    4. Loaded question
    5. Circumstantial ad-hom
    6. Appeal to authority
    7. Non sequitur

How did I do?

I would have voted for argument from ignorance as the most common fallacy if it had been available.

1. Correct. That was a blatant no True Scotsman haha.
    2. Correct. That was a strawman.
    3. This was actually something said by me a while ago on another debate forum. I later realized this was a fallacy I committed. And I think it is more of an ad-hominem circumstantial. Basically, my argument boiled down to that there can be no right answer in politics if each party is biased. However, a person's bias is irrelevant to the argument they're making. It was also pointed out to me by a tutor on a logical fallacy course mind you, that my argument appeared to have also been bordering on an appeal to moderation as well as it being an ad-hominem circumstantial.
    4. This is actually argumentum ad logicam (AKA the fallacy fallacy). This is actually quite a common thing among people that are new to the concept of fallacies and it's some that I used to do a lot haha. It's basically inferring that because someone appeared to make a fallacy then what they're concluding must be false. Depending on the circumstances it is more than likely that a Doctor telling you to have a scan to check for something is probably right at least most of the time. This isn't an appeal to authority; it's a deference to authority. This is also a reliable heuristic. Here, likely that you will be deferring to an authority that has engaged in decades of practical application as well as theoretical study.
    5. This was actually a non-sequitur (AKA it does not follow). I think this becomes clearer when you think in terms of a medical consensus based on the best kind of treatment for a patient/s. However, I think what makes this abundantly clear is if you think about this for example: "There is a mathematical consensus on how to do the order of operations. Because this consensus is so strong it, therefore, must be wrong." Can you see now how this doesn't make any sense?
    6. Correct. This was definitely a blatant appeal to authority.
    7. This was just a basic ad hominem as well as a flat opinion. However, Trump combs his hair has nothing to do with the arguments he's putting forward.

Yes, I noticed. I wanted to add more after I made this but I can't edit the polls. However, I am thinking I might do another one just for fun and actually include groups of polls with an abundance of fallacies to choose from in each group.

SkepticalOneJosh_Drake