frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Why do Atheists argue with Christians?

Debate Information

Premise concerning Atheism posited on FB: “The REAL reason why atheists want to argue all the time, they distract us from doing what we were told to do.” (Referencing the Great Commission)

A Christian response…

The real reason atheists argue with Christians is due to their beleaguered conscience and the truism that the atheist knows their ideology is a myth-a lie rooted in the demonic as atheism is a ruse/obfuscation for the sexually perverse, the moral relativist, the nihilist, naturalist, the baby mutilator-abortionist advocate, seeking to temper a guilty conscience while intuitively knowing that our Creator exists and that He has dominion and authority over the self-deceived atheist (Romans 1:18-32).

Atheists are tragically crippled psychologically, spiritually, so know that when you communicate as a Christian with an atheist, you're dealing with an emissary of Satan as well as an untenable psychosis that is rooted in the demonic as the atheist is spiritually-dead and existing without hope.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    Atheist argue with christians (or any other religious person really) that tries to impose their view on them. We do not argue with Christians that mind their own business and keep their religion to themselves...

You're like those annoying telemarketer, whatever you sell, we (well, me at least) are not interested...
    AlofRITGMasterXZeusAres42
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    It is not us who argue with you; it is you who keep arguing with us, while we just want to be left alone and mind our own business, largely. I do not engage in arguments with Buddhists, Shintoists or Chinese folklore-ists, because they leave me alone and never yell in my face how I am going to be sent to a terrible version of the afterlife for my transgressions. The only time I argued with a Shintoist was by mutual willingness to learn from each other, and, let me tell you, she completely obliterated my arguments by appealing to logic, not some passages from ancient books.

Christians, Judaists and Muslims are the only ones I know who routinely try to shove their aggressive views in people's faces. Well, they will get punched back for doing so, sorry.
    PlaffelvohfenSkepticalOneAlofRIpiloteerZeusAres42
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited March 2020

Says the di-k head that posts up a debate targeting Atheists .........
    PlaffelvohfenAlofRIZeusAres42
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited March 2020

Says the di-k head that posts up a debate targeting Atheists .........
  • SkepticalOneSkepticalOne Gold Premium Member 1628 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    RickeyD said:

Premise concerning Atheism posited on FB: “The REAL reason why atheists want to argue all the time, they distract us from doing what we were told to do.” (Referencing the Great Commission)

A Christian response…

The real reason atheists argue with Christians is due to their beleaguered conscience and the truism that the atheist knows their ideology is a myth-a lie rooted in the demonic as atheism is a ruse/obfuscation for the sexually perverse, the moral relativist, the nihilist, naturalist, the baby mutilator-abortionist advocate, seeking to temper a guilty conscience while intuitively knowing that our Creator exists and that He has dominion and authority over the self-deceived atheist (Romans 1:18-32).

Atheists are tragically crippled psychologically, spiritually, so know that when you communicate as a Christian with an atheist, you're dealing with an emissary of Satan as well as an untenable psychosis that is rooted in the demonic as the atheist is spiritually-dead and existing without hope.

Nah, that's not it. If someone wants to hold dogmatically to a belief, I don't care. Keep it out of my government (and my personal space), and we'll get along fine. 
    PlaffelvohfenAlofRIZeusAres42
    A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    I would gladly cease and desist if certain people would cease and desist calling me names, accusing me of crimes against humanity and some "imaginary entity". 

The ol' "Christian as a penis" has not lost credibility! " You take Christianity out, wave it around in public and try to shove it down our throats when we are not the LEAST interested!" Keep your religion in your pants when you are in public, take it out in your home or church, keep it clean so it doesn't infect the masses … and you'll never hear from us again! If someone you meet is passionate about it, well, you can share in its delights! But GET A ROOM! :yum:
    PlaffelvohfenpiloteerZeusAres42
    I would gladly cease and desist if certain people would cease and desist calling me names, accusing me of crimes against humanity and some "imaginary entity". 

The ol' "Christian as a penis" has not lost credibility! " You take Christianity out, wave it around in public and try to shove it down our throats when we are not the LEAST interested!" Keep your religion in your pants when you are in public, take it out in your home or church, keep it clean so it doesn't infect the masses … and you'll never hear from us again! If someone you meet is passionate about it, well, you can share in its delights! But GET A ROOM! :yum:

The ol' "Christian as a penis" has not lost credibility! " You take Christianity out, wave it around in public and try to shove it down our throats when we are not the LEAST interested!" Keep your religion in your pants when you are in public, take it out in you're home or at church, keep it clean so it doesn't infect the masses … and you'll never hear from us again! If someone you meet is passionate about it, well, you can share in its delights! But GET A ROOM! :yum:

The ol' "Christian as a penis" has not lost credibility! " You take Christianity out, wave it around in public and try to shove it down our throats when we are not the LEAST interested!" Keep your religion in your pants when you are in public, take it out in you're home or at church, keep it clean so it doesn't infect the masses … and you'll never hear from us again! If someone you meet is passionate about it, well, you can share in its delights! But GET A ROOM! :yum:

The ol' "Christian as a pe*is" has not lost credibility! " You take Christianity out, wave it around in public and try to shove it down our throats when we are not the LEAST interested!" Keep your religion in your pants when you are in public, take it out in you're home or at church, keep it clean so it doesn't infect the masses … and you'll never hear from us again! If someone you meet is passionate about it, well, you can share in its delights! But GET A ROOM! :yum:
  • This argument infuriates me. If I knew god was real but chose to lie and say he wasn't so that I could be impure, I would be sending eternity in hell for one lifetime. To say that I'm making that decision is to insult my intelligence.
  • ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 Emerald Premium Member 2668 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    With Radical Christians such as yourself, I don't see any point. Once you have consistently shown to violate the rules of rational argumentation then I think it is safe to say you can no longer be argued with (AKA reasoned with).

• Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    The reason that atheists and Christians argue is because if they debate the Christians usually lose.

Kind of makes it hard for rational discourse when your worldview is founded on speculation and can only be met with the assertion that reality exists.
    AlofRIPlaffelvohfen
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • The reason that atheists and Christians argue is because if they debate the Christians usually lose.

Kind of makes it hard for rational discourse when your worldview is founded on speculation and can only be met with the assertion that reality exists.

It also depends on the kind of argumentation you're engaging in. I remember a critical thinking lecturer once saying that he often got a lot of emails from both Atheists and Religious people asking how to prove one or the other thing. He refused to do this as he said these kinds of arguments are futile since there is no common frame of reference here. Argumentation isn't just about winning or losing @Happy_Killbot

It's about engaging in a serious of questions and answers where both parties can end up in a win win situation. However, I hardly ever argue with these guys daysl especially the radical ones as I really don't see the point.

1852: It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he never was reasoned into. (Attributed to Jonathan Swift)

@ZeusAres42 After a good debate, some people who were genuinely curious are going to walk away having their minds changed. It is them who are to be won. Whenever someone shows how religion isn't reasonable, there is always going to be those who maybe were questioning their beliefs or who were maybe going to start believing who will turn away. That is what debate is about.
    PlaffelvohfenZeusAres42
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,

@ZeusAres42 After a good debate, some people who were genuinely curious are going to walk away having their minds changed. It is them who are to be won. Whenever someone shows how religion isn't reasonable, there is always going to be those who maybe were questioning their beliefs or who were maybe going to start believing who will turn away. That is what debate is about.

@Happy_Killbot That is true and I am not/was not disputing that. Hence why I mentioned "radical ones." I think there are some people that are too far gone and will never change no matter how hard you try.

• But why continue to waste your energy on someone where it could be spent much better elsewhere? The truth is that there are some people that are too far gone and will never change no matter how hard you try. Maybe I am just a bit more pessimistic. I prefer to say more realistic though.

But I understand your point like if you're in a room with a load of people then yes there could very well be people there that can be won over. However, that was not my point.

@ZeusAres42 Debate isn't about trying to change their minds, if I wanted to do that I would use street epistemology, which doesn't work very well on the internet.

This guy makes tons of videos like this, this is one of his shorter ones but a good intro.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ixyjdc0os
    PlaffelvohfenZeusAres42

@ZeusAres42 Debate isn't about trying to change their minds, if I wanted to do that I would use street epistemology, which doesn't work very well on the internet.

This guy makes tons of videos like this, this is one of his shorter ones but a good intro.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ixyjdc0os

So what exactly did you mean then when you said the following:
    @Happy_Killbot

@ZeusAres42 It is not possible to change anyone's mind, only the individual can change their own mind. Exposure to new information from a debate can cause someone to change their opinion, but it is unlikely to change the opinion of someone who is not so open minded about the subject being debated. In the first quote I am referring to the interlocutor, in the second I am referring to the spectators.

You should not debate to try and change the mind of the person you are debating, you should to try and change the minds of those who witness the debate. If you do want to change the mind of someone you are talking to, you are wasting your time unless you can first convince them to do all the hard work for you by giving them all the tools they need to come to conclusions on their own.
    ZeusAres42

@ZeusAres42 It is not possible to change anyone's mind, only the individual can change their own mind. Exposure to new information from a debate can cause someone to change their opinion, but it is unlikely to change the opinion of someone who is not so open minded about the subject being debated. In the first quote I am referring to the interlocutor, in the second I am referring to the spectators.

You should not debate to try and change the mind of the person you are debating, you should to try and change the minds of those who witness the debate. If you do want to change the mind of someone you are talking to, you are wasting your time unless you can first convince them to do all the hard work for you by giving them all the tools they need to come to conclusions on their own.

Yes, I understand that and that is what I was agreeing with @Happy_Killbot. I'm in agreement with this message you are conveying. Okay, perhaps I was making an assumption before on your first post but this message that you are conveying I am in agreement with. Hence why I since said "But I understand your point like if you're in a room with a load of people then yes there could very well be people there that can be won over. However, that was not my point."

In short, I am in agreement with you here. @Happy_Killbot

I am not entirely sure if you know that I am agreeing with you here yet though.

• onethinhandle56onethinhandle56 19 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    atheists argue with Christians because they are bored and have nothing better to do than argue about an invisible god who’s everywhere they say but no one can see or hear him. 
  • onethinhandle56onethinhandle56 19 Pts   -   edited March 2020

• piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    This atheist argues with Christians because we are on the cusp of a new religion founded in objectivity and logic. The old mythological order only stands in the way of progress. Our new order will reign supreme, and soon it will be US imposing our beliefs on you.   
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    This argument infuriates me. If I knew god was real but chose to lie and say he wasn't so that I could be impure, I would be sending eternity in hell for one lifetime. To say that I'm making that decision is to insult my intelligence.
    Ummmm, I kinda get the feeling that it was purposely made to insult atheists.  
    ZeusAres42Plaffelvohfen
  • @ZeusAres42 It is not possible to change anyone's mind, only the individual can change their own mind. Exposure to new information from a debate can cause someone to change their opinion, but it is unlikely to change the opinion of someone who is not so open minded about the subject being debated. In the first quote I am referring to the interlocutor, in the second I am referring to the spectators.

In fact a large portion of this post is basically what I was saying previously anyway but repeated back to me in different wording.  I haven't said or even implied anything contrary to what is being said here. 

And I know this is what debate is about. Hence why I conveyed the same message previously.

What I said debate wasn't about was winning and losing in the competitive sense; that's not debate at all; that's just ego.

Sorry to keep posting but I am a little bit confused about your position here regarding our discussion since I don't see how anything I've said is any different to what you said. Anyway, I am just going to explain what I said and what I didn't say in a more clear and concise way:
    1. I didn't say or even imply that debate was about changing the minds of the other person you're debating with anywhere in this tread. What I said was "But why continue to waste your energy on someone where it could be spent much better elsewhere? The truth is that there are some people that are too far gone and will never change no matter how hard you try." In fact, this is the complete opposite of saying the debate is about changing the mind of the other person. What definitely shouldn't have been inferred from this statement is that I also meant debate was about changing the minds of the other person.
    2. I didn't say or even imply that you shouldn't try and win over an audience that might be more open-minded and who might be questioning their beliefs.
    3. I did say or was at least implying that a one on one argument between a religious person and an Atheist trying to prove to the other that either God exists or doesn't exist is futile. Nothing else should really be inferred from this statement except what is actually meant by the statement which is that it is futile for an Atheist and a Religious person to continue to try and prove Either God does exist or doesn't exist.
    4. I did say or was at least implying that there are times when two parties of people will be able to find things that they agree on within a debate due to a common frame of reference; this is unlikely to happen however between a devoted and/or radical religious fanatic and an Atheist.