There isn't enough evidence for me to believe in god. - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Using DebateIsland's beautiful, mobile-friendly, and easy-to-use online debate website, you can debate politics, debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything in a large community of debaters. Debate online for free using DebateIsland, a globally leading online debate website that is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Using DebateIsland's beautiful, mobile-friendly, and easy-to-use online debate website, you can debate politics, debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything in a large community of debaters. Debate online for free using DebateIsland, a globally leading online debate website that is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.

There isn't enough evidence for me to believe in god.

Debate Information

Because I'm not a strong atheist I'm not putting any arguments here. Just use the strongest argument you know in favor of god and I will respond if I have the time.
Debate Details +

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

Arguments

• AlofRIAlofRI 906 Pts
    The ONLY "evidence" that exists of a "God" is a book that was cobbled together of short stories "written" on stone tablets or Papyrus leaves, or word of mouth CENTURIES after the "fact". Therefor, the "evidence" is hearsay, even hearsay interpreted from ancient languages which is a imperfect method at best. There are even several "versions" of the "facts"? There are even several "versions" of the same "god". The Christian one, the Muslim one, the Jewish one …. and just what the god given rules are. Absolutely NOTHING that could stand up in a court with any other than a believer as judge and total believers as jury. That ….  would even embarrass a kangaroo!

It would be similar if, centuries from now … after some tragedy wiped out civilization … a few scared survivors of the human race came across an ancient comic book. Superman could be our next god, Batman and Wonder Woman his disciples, and Lex Luthor …. the new devil. >:)
    PlaffelvohfenxlJ_dolphin_473
  • edited March 12
    @AlofRI I get what you mean, but I was looking more for philosophical arguments. If we had anything that could be considered evidence this debate probably couldn't happen. I apologize, I think I phrased the question wrong.
  • AlofRIAlofRI 906 Pts
    No apologies necessary. My education is 70 years old. Philosophy wasn't quite so popular back then. It has always been around, but, it seems to be taken even more seriously now. Not a bad thing. However, sometimes it seems like every statement today gets philosophized, carved up, split apart and searched for some ulterior meaning …. kind of like, if you watch Steven Colbert, his introduction to his segment …. MEANWHILE. ;-)

So. Looking at it with a 70 year old, non-philosophical education ….. I'll take Superman over this totally confusing "God" … and … Wonder Woman ain't so bad either! Now, where did I put that book of Philosophy??? (My memory ain't what it used to be …. either! :relaxed:
    PlaffelvohfenxlJ_dolphin_473
  • RickeyDRickeyD 555 Pts

“There are honest doubters and dishonest doubters. An honest doubter is willing to search out the truth and live by the results; a dishonest doubter doesn’t want to know the truth. He can’t find God for the same reason a thief can’t find a policeman.” Adrian Rogers

Three-forms of evidence validating our Creator, Jesus Christ-Yeshua…

1) Nature

2) The Incarnation of God in Time

3) The Written Covenant between God and Mankind

1) Empirical – Preliminary – Substantive – Observable Evidence = Nature

The Universe, encompassing the Sun-Moon-Stars-Earth, descending downward to the complex human genome (life), all provide empirical, preliminary, substantive, observable, evidence for design in Nature and therefore mandate a Designer (Isaiah 66:1; Acts 7:49).

The Holy Spirit has clearly articulated that anyone who denies these empirical, supernatural, inexplicable, forms of Nature as testimony relevant to our Creator’s validity will be “without excuse” when they stand in the Judgment before Jesus Christ-Yeshua in Eternity (Romans 1:18-32; Revelation 20:11-15). It is the preliminary evidence of Nature that confronts mankind daily/nightly and is so designed as to draw all men and women to seek knowledge of God and find life in His Name, Jesus Christ-Yeshua.

God has so uniquely created and ordained Nature as testimony and evidence relevant to Himself that He has nullified mankind’s ability to define origin of matter or understand the supernatural Universe He has placed before us (Ecclesiastes 3:11). Origin of matter will, until the end of Time, remain a mystery to mankind as man is cognitively constrained by Time and The Curse; all that is visible and invisible to the human eye in Nature was established, created, by elements from the invisible Spiritual World; therefore, the genesis of our Creation will forever remain an enigma, a mystery, to the mind of man. Anyone seeking Truth, void a personal bias against the validity of our Creator, can easily apprehend and discern the supernatural design of creation mandating a supernatural Creator.

“By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible.” Hebrews 11:3 (NASB)

“He has made everything appropriate in its time. He has also set eternity in their heart, yet so that man will not find out the work which God has done from the beginning even to the end.” Ecclesiastes 3:11 (NASB)

2) The Incarnate, Living Word of God, Jesus Christ-Yeshua

There exists no greater or more popular historical figure than Jesus Christ-Yeshua. The Atheist who rejects the historicity of Jesus simply rejects the overwhelming evidence for His validity readily accessible-available in Biblical and extra-Biblical as well as non-Christian, archeological, sources.

Our Creator did not leave His Human creation to wonder or ponder about the one-true-God and His Plan and purposes for Time and Eternity, but God left the Spiritual Realm some 2019-years ago, He divided history, and entered the Realm of Time in the flesh through a virgin birth that was essential to establish Him as Messiah who would selflessly give Himself to save mankind from death in sin and death in Hell (Philippians 2:5-11; Matthew 1:23).

During the 33.5-years of His Earthly sojourn, Jesus fulfilled over 300-Messianic prophecies as articulated in the Covenant of Law extending from the Genesis to The Book of Malachi. The statistical chances of

1 person fulfilling 8 prophecies: 1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000;

1 person fulfilling 48 prophecies: 1 chance in 10 to the 157th power;

1 person fulfilling 300+ prophecies: Only Jesus!

In the Gospel of John, Chapter 14 v. 6, Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.”

Anyone contemplating the Deity of Jesus Christ in light of the previous Scripture (John 14:6) must come to ONE of only three-conclusions concerning Jesus Christ. Jesus is either a…

1. liar.

2. lunatic.

3. Lord

Every human being born subsequent to 33-AD and having attained an age of reason with sufficient cognitive acuity to discern the moral law as written upon our heart by our Creator (Romans 2:15) will have to choose between these three-options seeing that their eternal destiny will depend solely upon which option they choose.

3) The written word of God, the Holy Bible

God the Father has not only provided Nature/the Universe and the Son, Jesus Christ-Yeshua as testimony of His validity, power, dominion, but God has also provided a written “Covenant of Grace” (Matthew 26:28) to His human creation through the Holy Spirit. God the Holy Spirit meticulously, supernaturally, moved through the inner-man of 40-men of antiquity, holy men set-apart specifically for the purpose of penning on parchment the Plan and purposes of our Creator; a journey of 1400-to-1600-years, three-continents, three-languages, explaining in detail our origin, our purpose and meaning, God’s moral law and God’s Plan for the destiny of Time and Eternity.

For those who scoff at the integrity of God’s written word and thereby call the Holy Spirit a liar, understand that the very same Creator who initiated visible matter from the unseen Spiritual World and used same to create this vast supernatural Universe and gave you the breath of life, this very same Creator is abundantly capable and qualified to provide you and provide me with the EXACT words He desires we have so that we can know Him, His Plan and purposes for Time and our individual lives. Irrespective of councils of men and theologians, critics, scholars, all of the efforts of men concerning advocating for or disparaging the Holy Scriptures, know that the Bible remains the best-selling Book in History and that God’s word will NEVER fade away (Matthew 24:35).

Conclusion

Our Creator has provided Human KIND with three-undeniable-forms of evidence relevant to His validity, reality, power, dominion, Deity…

1) Nature.

2) Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Living Word of God.

3) A written covenant, the Holy Scriptures.

Anyone who desires to know God intimately, personally, will find Him and enter into a relationship with Him if they will seek Him with their whole heart…He will be found by them (Jeremiah 29:11-13). God will NOT entertain or commune with a heart that does not truly desire to know Him but He is faithful to make His abode with anyone willing to come to Him in faith and believe that He is true.

“But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.” Hebrews 11:6 (NKJV)

PlaffelvohfenAlofRIRS_master
  • RickeyD said:

“There are honest doubters and dishonest doubters. An honest doubter is willing to search out the truth and live by the results; a dishonest doubter doesn’t want to know the truth. He can’t find God for the same reason a thief can’t find a policeman.” Adrian Rogers

Three-forms of evidence validating our Creator, Jesus Christ-Yeshua…

1) Nature

2) The Incarnation of God in Time

3) The Written Covenant between God and Mankind

1) Empirical – Preliminary – Substantive – Observable Evidence = Nature

The Universe, encompassing the Sun-Moon-Stars-Earth, descending downward to the complex human genome (life), all provide empirical, preliminary, substantive, observable, evidence for design in Nature and therefore mandate a Designer (Isaiah 66:1; Acts 7:49).

The Holy Spirit has clearly articulated that anyone who denies these empirical, supernatural, inexplicable, forms of Nature as testimony relevant to our Creator’s validity will be “without excuse” when they stand in the Judgment before Jesus Christ-Yeshua in Eternity (Romans 1:18-32; Revelation 20:11-15). It is the preliminary evidence of Nature that confronts mankind daily/nightly and is so designed as to draw all men and women to seek knowledge of God and find life in His Name, Jesus Christ-Yeshua.

God has so uniquely created and ordained Nature as testimony and evidence relevant to Himself that He has nullified mankind’s ability to define origin of matter or understand the supernatural Universe He has placed before us (Ecclesiastes 3:11). Origin of matter will, until the end of Time, remain a mystery to mankind as man is cognitively constrained by Time and The Curse; all that is visible and invisible to the human eye in Nature was established, created, by elements from the invisible Spiritual World; therefore, the genesis of our Creation will forever remain an enigma, a mystery, to the mind of man. Anyone seeking Truth, void a personal bias against the validity of our Creator, can easily apprehend and discern the supernatural design of creation mandating a supernatural Creator.

“By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible.” Hebrews 11:3 (NASB)

“He has made everything appropriate in its time. He has also set eternity in their heart, yet so that man will not find out the work which God has done from the beginning even to the end.” Ecclesiastes 3:11 (NASB)

2) The Incarnate, Living Word of God, Jesus Christ-Yeshua

There exists no greater or more popular historical figure than Jesus Christ-Yeshua. The Atheist who rejects the historicity of Jesus simply rejects the overwhelming evidence for His validity readily accessible-available in Biblical and extra-Biblical as well as non-Christian, archeological, sources.

Our Creator did not leave His Human creation to wonder or ponder about the one-true-God and His Plan and purposes for Time and Eternity, but God left the Spiritual Realm some 2019-years ago, He divided history, and entered the Realm of Time in the flesh through a virgin birth that was essential to establish Him as Messiah who would selflessly give Himself to save mankind from death in sin and death in Hell (Philippians 2:5-11; Matthew 1:23).

During the 33.5-years of His Earthly sojourn, Jesus fulfilled over 300-Messianic prophecies as articulated in the Covenant of Law extending from the Genesis to The Book of Malachi. The statistical chances of

1 person fulfilling 8 prophecies: 1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000;

1 person fulfilling 48 prophecies: 1 chance in 10 to the 157th power;

1 person fulfilling 300+ prophecies: Only Jesus!

In the Gospel of John, Chapter 14 v. 6, Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.”

Anyone contemplating the Deity of Jesus Christ in light of the previous Scripture (John 14:6) must come to ONE of only three-conclusions concerning Jesus Christ. Jesus is either a…

1. liar.

2. lunatic.

3. Lord

Every human being born subsequent to 33-AD and having attained an age of reason with sufficient cognitive acuity to discern the moral law as written upon our heart by our Creator (Romans 2:15) will have to choose between these three-options seeing that their eternal destiny will depend solely upon which option they choose.

3) The written word of God, the Holy Bible

God the Father has not only provided Nature/the Universe and the Son, Jesus Christ-Yeshua as testimony of His validity, power, dominion, but God has also provided a written “Covenant of Grace” (Matthew 26:28) to His human creation through the Holy Spirit. God the Holy Spirit meticulously, supernaturally, moved through the inner-man of 40-men of antiquity, holy men set-apart specifically for the purpose of penning on parchment the Plan and purposes of our Creator; a journey of 1400-to-1600-years, three-continents, three-languages, explaining in detail our origin, our purpose and meaning, God’s moral law and God’s Plan for the destiny of Time and Eternity.

For those who scoff at the integrity of God’s written word and thereby call the Holy Spirit a liar, understand that the very same Creator who initiated visible matter from the unseen Spiritual World and used same to create this vast supernatural Universe and gave you the breath of life, this very same Creator is abundantly capable and qualified to provide you and provide me with the EXACT words He desires we have so that we can know Him, His Plan and purposes for Time and our individual lives. Irrespective of councils of men and theologians, critics, scholars, all of the efforts of men concerning advocating for or disparaging the Holy Scriptures, know that the Bible remains the best-selling Book in History and that God’s word will NEVER fade away (Matthew 24:35).

Conclusion

Our Creator has provided Human KIND with three-undeniable-forms of evidence relevant to His validity, reality, power, dominion, Deity…

1) Nature.

2) Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Living Word of God.

3) A written covenant, the Holy Scriptures.

Anyone who desires to know God intimately, personally, will find Him and enter into a relationship with Him if they will seek Him with their whole heart…He will be found by them (Jeremiah 29:11-13). God will NOT entertain or commune with a heart that does not truly desire to know Him but He is faithful to make His abode with anyone willing to come to Him in faith and believe that He is true.

“But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.” Hebrews 11:6 (NKJV)

@RickeyD My 2 friends and I: @xlj_dolphin_473 and @JGXdebatePRO have already proven that the bible is a fallacy. We have pointed out there are too many bible contradictions. I could make my own book and my own god. In 2000 years humans would believe it. The Big Bang and Evolution have proof. Proof is evidence. Evidence drives belief. Give me proof about the bible not from the bible.

ethang5
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 3419 Pts
    @RickeyD

So which one are you: an honest doubter or a dishonest doubter? You refuse to bask in the glory of the Great Potato Monster; what drives your resistance?
    Plaffelvohfen
  • RickeyDRickeyD 555 Pts
    @MayCaesar ; Your mockery and obfuscation will not buy you mercy at Judgment. I have told you truth and you reject it...again, that is your right. Enjoy. My concern and responsibility is that you not die in complete spiritual ignorance.

Plaffelvohfenethang5
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 3419 Pts
    @RickeyD

This, the thing that you consider "mockery and obfuscation", is exactly the same thing as you are pushing, just in different words. Now you know how atheists see your claims: you chose the perfect words to characterise it!
    AlofRI
  • RickeyDRickeyD 555 Pts
    @MayCaesar ; I disagree but apologize if that is the way I am received. Have a good day.

ethang5
  • pnitapnita 9 Pts
    @RickeyD nature is evidence of nature. Nothing that is naturally occurring points to a designer (and even if it does you would have to demonstrate that it was in fact the Christian god that is acting as the designer and not something else like universe creating fairies) 
  • John_C_87John_C_87 395 Pts
    GOD is not a religion it just a numerical axiom that is plagiarized by people. 
  • ethang5ethang5 239 Pts
    @RickeyD

Enjoyed your posts Ricky. Good job.
  • DeeDee 2592 Pts
    @ethang5

**** Enjoyed your posts Ricky. Good job.

But of course you did as they were a continuous hate campaign against Atheists ......Ricky has run for the hills like you  did previously as he was  unable to defend his B S ......
  • ethang5ethang5 239 Pts
    @Dee

What? No false quotes dee dee?

If you're hated on so much Mr. Militant atheist, why are you here? Do you have a God fetish?

Atheist websites too boring for you?

*Ricky has run for the hills...

Ricky has a life. Unlike you and the other atheist dweebs who infect the religion board.
  • DeeDee 2592 Pts
    @ethang5

Still trolling ET all because you cannot defend biblical slavery , we all know you’re furious because of your inability to defend a former position so do carry on telling us all how furious you are .....when are you going to defend your position?
  • DeeDee 2592 Pts
    @ethang5

I’m debating slavery at the moment we are not interested in returning to an old debate where you suffered a beating , if you wish to attempt a new defence you have my permission to join in on the ongoing one where a Christian is attempting a defence of your failed position .......I predict you will just keep posting your rage filled pieces instead 
  • DeeDee 2592 Pts
    @ethang5

Reported yet again for trolling and harrasssment, you never learn do you ?
  • ethang5ethang5 239 Pts
    edited May 9
    You contacted me first loser.

But maybe Aaron will have missed your fake quotes and the fact that you posted to me 1st on 4 different threads.

Think he'll miss your lies? Lol! Now, I'm harassing you. Rich. The troll is complaining about being harassed.

As you were stalking me and ad-homing with vulgarism, you weren't feeling harassed then were you homer?

You wanted my attention, now you've got it. Happy now?
    Sand
  • I think we this is the World of seekers stop believing anything start seeking yourself you will get all the answers.
  • SandSand 234 Pts

I know you were speaking with someone else. Nevertheless, I wanted to question you on this statement you made.

>>>We have pointed out there are too many bible contradictions.<<<

I understand your viewpoint. Nevertheless, we are not talking about contradictions, unless you believe that every man is perfect. These are the ones God used to write the information.

Here is my question; how many contradictions are in science compared to the contradictions in the Bible?
    Does that make all science invalid?
    If science has more contradictions does it make science less trustworthy?
    If not why does it make the Bible less trustworthy?

>>>I could make my own book and my own god. In 2000 years humans would believe it.<<<

If you did make your own book and own God for others to believe what would you use to support your stories?
    Would you use real occurrences? Would you use some truths in your book?
    Or would it be complete lies?
    I ask these things because everyone knows the stories of Excalibur and King Author are not real.
    If you say yes to supporting the information with some truths to build the credibility of your story.
    Then would you admit that the Bible has credible information, or some truths, that support the validity of the information?
    If you would not admit that the Bible has any credible information located in it, then how can you verify any book?
    How can you verify any science textbook, unless you perform all the studies yourself personally, then you are basing your conclusions on belief.
    How can you verify any history textbook, unless you saw the events yourself personally, then you are basing your understandings on belief.

>>>The Big Bang and Evolution have proof. <<<
    What proof is there for the Big Bang?
    No one was there for this. Nevertheless, if there is proof, then someone can demonstrate it or perform it now.
    These are the same arguments that are placed on the Bible.
    If the situation cannot be demonstrated now it did not happen in the past.
    Man cannot reenact "the Big Bang", nevertheless, you believe that something can come from nothing more than you believe that everything has a cause.

By the word "Evolution", I am assuming that you are referring to Evolution of the species.
    Man cannot reenact "Evolution of the species", nevertheless, you believe that animals can dramatically change and then destroy evidence of their change.

>>>Give me proof about the bible not from the bible.<<<
    Very simple: You are the proof.
    You are alive.

Have you seen every house being made? Have you seen every building being made? Or do you assume "Man" to fill in the gaps theory?
    That if it is a house or a building it must have been some person who built it?
    What would drive you to such a conclusion?
    Would it not be the symmetry of the structure?
    Would it not be the uniformity of the object?
    Could you not argue the mathematical intent though the arrangement of the rooms, the materials, and the structure?
    Could anything made by Man come about without Man?
    Could anything made by Man come about though an explosion?

Then why do we assume this with life?
    Life and the universe have symmetry, uniformity, and is very mathematical.

You were not there for the building of the Effiel Tower or the Statue of Liberty, you read these things in a book or assumed they were made by man.
    The book could be a lie, that someone made so you believe that men made it.
    Nevertheless, you trust the book, that it has truth in it or some version of the truth in it, why can't we do the same with the Bible?
    Even if you cannot do that, why condemn others who do so?
  • Because I'm not a strong atheist I'm not putting any arguments here. Just use the strongest argument you know in favor of god and I will respond if I have the time.
    This is what the Bible says what kind of people don't believe in God.

Lovers of darkness, haters of light, evil doers afraid of exposure, stiff necked, resistant, obstinate, those who do bad and want to keep doing bad, pursuers of their own imagination, choosers of what displeases God, futile thinkers, those without excuse, choosers of lies, self seeking, those who reject, followers of evil, those hostile to God, deceived by sin, blinded, earthly, taken by the devil, no endurance, choked by life’s worries and riches and pleasures, they don’t mature, stubborn, follow their own devices, rebellious hearts, they turn aside, gone away, stubborn pride, refuse to give up evil and stubborn ways, deceitful, unwilling.

John 3:19, 20; Acts 7:51; Isaiah30:9; 65:2; 65:11,12; Romans 1:19-21; 1:25; 1:28; 2:8; 8:7; 2 Thessalonians 2:10; Hebrews 3:13; 2 Corinthians 4:3-4; Philippians 3:19; Matthew 13:19; Luke 8:11-16; Psalm 81:12; Isaiah 48:4; Jeremiah 5:23; 7:24; Leviticus 26:19; Judges 2:19; Hosea 4:16.

PlaffelvohfenSand
    Oh how I love the Word of God!
  • @TrueLove
    This is what the Bible says what kind of people don't believe in God......Lovers of darkness, haters of light, evil doers afraid of exposure, stiff necked, resistant, obstinate, those who do bad and want to keep doing bad, pursuers of their own imagination......

The writer of the thread asked for "the strongest argument you know in favor of god".
    You chose to answer in a deliberately deceitful and ugly way by gratuitously threatening with fear, doom, and gloom and absolute lies.

Well, I suppose the writer made up his mind which way to go after that little disgusting rant.
  • TrueLoveTrueLove 80 Pts
    edited September 1
    Swolliw said:
    @TrueLove
    This is what the Bible says what kind of people don't believe in God......Lovers of darkness, haters of light, evil doers afraid of exposure, stiff necked, resistant, obstinate, those who do bad and want to keep doing bad, pursuers of their own imagination......

The writer of the thread asked for "the strongest argument you know in favor of god".
    You chose to answer in a deliberately deceitful and ugly way by gratuitously threatening with fear, doom, and gloom and absolute lies.

Well, I suppose the writer made up his mind which way to go after that little disgusting rant.
    The OP made up their mind before I posted.  
    There are some people who will read the truth that I posted from the Bible and who will humble themselves more, and then there are those who will do exactly what the Bible says about them...be more stubborn.
    Sand
  • @TrueLove
    There are some people who will read the truth that I posted from the Bible and who will humble themselves more, and then there are those who will do exactly what the Bible says about them...be more stubborn.

There are some people who think that they are so high and mighty and self-righteous that they will refuse to be answerable to their maniacal, morbid and evil preachings.
  • Swolliw said:
    @TrueLove

There are some people who think that they are so high and mighty and self-righteous that they will refuse to be answerable to their maniacal, morbid and evil preachings.
    Are you saying you aren't stubborn, or any of the other things that the Bible says why people don't believe?
    Sand
  • SonofasonSonofason 164 Pts
    edited September 4
    Adam and Eve lived in a place many today call paradise.  This paradise Ezekiel describes as the  "גַּן־" gan- (garden) "אֱלֹהִ֜ים" ’ĕ-lō-hîm (of God).  In various religions of the world, heaven is often regarded as the abode of God.  If there was a place in the universe that could be described as God's abode, surely it would be in the Garden of God...no?  Although most people traditionally consider heaven to be somewhere above and beyond the sky, I don't.  I think God created heaven right here on the earth.

In Genesis 1:7 we read that "...God made a firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament...And God called the firmament Heaven".  Many translations differ in this word firmament that we find in the King James version of the Bible.  The NIV refers to it in a most misleading way as "a vault".  A vault is defined as a roof in the form of an arch or a series of arches, typical of churches and other large, formal buildings.  We typically consider a roof as though it were something above our heads.  The ESV refers to this firmament as "an expanse" which is an area of something, typically land or sea, presenting a wide continuous surface.  In my opinion, most people don't make the connection between land and the word expanse.  Such a word brings with it a sense of vagueness, and we forget to consider the land that defines it.  

Look how the Easton's Bible Dictionary defines it:  "From the Vulgate firmamentum, which is used as the translation of the Hebrew raki'a. This word means simply "expansion." It denotes the space or expanse like an arch appearing immediately above us. They who rendered raki'a by firmamentum regarded it as a solid body.  The language of Scripture is not scientific but popular, and hence we read of the sun rising and setting, and also here the use of this particular word. It is plain that it was used to denote solidity as well as expansion. It formed a division between the waters above and the waters below (Gen 1:7). The raki'a supported the upper reservoir"

I emboldened in the quote above what I think is important.  If the Hebrew word רָקִ֖יעַ rā-qî-a‘ was regarded as a solid body, why are these guys making excuses for the word that was originally used.  It was a solid expanse.  It was not some arched vault of the sky up there supporting the waters of rain clouds as so many people think.  It was a solid, just like the word implies.  According to Strong's Exhaustive Concordance, this word rā-qî-a‘ "comes from the primitive Hebrew root word raqa means "to pound the earth (as a sign of passion); by analogy to expand (by hammering); by implication, to overlay (with thin sheets of metal) -- beat, make broad, spread abroad (forth, over, out, into plates), stamp, stretch".

Again I have emboldened what I think is important.  Consider what we are all standing on, and what scientists call them.  We call them "tectonic plates".  They are primarily composed of granite.  This granite is what divided the waters from the waters.  Yes, before the flood, there was an ocean of water under the firmament, and another ocean of water above the granite, and this lithosphere is what God called heaven.  And He eventually planted a garden on it, and He made it his abode.  

Yes, In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void.  Darkness was upon the face of the deep until the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters."

And God said, "Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters." And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament.  And God called the firmament Heaven

And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

Where ever in fact the waters under the heaven were gathered together, the earth's crust would have risen up creating dry land above heaven.  And where ever those waters under the heaven were gathered from, the heaven above would have been sunken down creating deep oceans above the heaven.

Nevertheless, The gathering together of these waters under the heaven would have been under incredible pressure, and eventually caused the earth's crust to fracture, resulting in the release of an incredible amount of water from under the heaven to be released into the atmosphere, causing it to rain continuously for 40 days and 40 nights, eventually covering the entire earth.

Sand
  • @Sonofason
    Adam and Eve lived in a place many today call paradise.

You are merely preaching from the Bible which has been completely discredited as being an authoritative and credible account of events.
    Your argument is completely ridiculous, meaningless and invalid.
  • @TrueLove
    Are you saying you aren't stubborn, or any of the other things that the Bible says why people don't believe?

The reason I don't believe is that I am not self-centred, ignorant and arrogant, nor do I suffer from delusions.
  • Swolliw said:
    @TrueLove

The reason I don't believe is that I am not self-centred, ignorant and arrogant, nor do I suffer from delusions.
    God knows everything and everyone.  God tells us why people don't believe in Him.  

Sand
  • markemarke 372 Pts
    @RadicalCentrist

God commands all men to seek Him.  Those who refuse will not be excused and ignorance will not be an excuse.
    Sand
  • Swolliw said:
    @Sonofason
    Adam and Eve lived in a place many today call paradise.

You are merely preaching from the Bible which has been completely discredited as being an authoritative and credible account of events.
    Your argument is completely ridiculous, meaningless and invalid.
    For me to believe that my argument has been discredited, you'll have to show me the evidence that it was in fact discredited.  
    Sand
  • marke said:
    @RadicalCentrist

God commands all men to seek Him.  Those who refuse will not be excused and ignorance will not be an excuse.
    @marke
    Evidence?
    You seem to be making unfounded statements. Please give evidence for your claim that is not from a 2,000 year old book which has no proof.
  • TKDBTKDB 667 Pts
    @RadicalCentrist

God's not the problem.

Man is man's problem

And some of Man in using God as his excuse scapegoat, is sad use of one's own intelligence, it would seem?
  • @Sonofason
    For me to believe that my argument has been discredited, you'll have to show me the evidence that it was in fact discredited.  

I'm sure that if the tonnes of literature showing the inconsistencies, untruths, third party anecdotes and outright mistakes of the Bible were planted on your doorstep you still would not believe that what you are preaching is a load of unverified, untruthful nonsense.

Prove that the very first sentence of your post, "Adam and Eve lived in a place many today call paradise."  has even one ounce of credibility.
    Prove that  "Yes, In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." has even one ounce of credibility.
    Prove that  "It formed a division between the waters above and the waters below." has even one ounce of credibility.

The Bible is not even classified as a book of non-fiction in libraries, it was written from many scriptures dating more than 3300 years ago by many unknown authors, whose accounts are third hand, unearthed at least 300 years after the last entry by a group of outcast hermits and translated three times before an English copy was made. Not one entry in the Bible has been authenticated nor have any of the contents been verified.

And you are seriously wondering why your argument has no credibility?

• Swolliw said:
    @Sonofason

I'm sure that if the tonnes of literature showing the inconsistencies, untruths, third party anecdotes and outright mistakes of the Bible were planted on your doorstep you still would not believe that what you are preaching is a load of unverified, untruthful nonsense.

Prove that the very first sentence of your post, "Adam and Eve lived in a place many today call paradise."  has even one ounce of credibility.
    Prove that  "Yes, In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." has even one ounce of credibility.
    Prove that  "It formed a division between the waters above and the waters below." has even one ounce of credibility.

The Bible is not even classified as a book of non-fiction in libraries, it was written from many scriptures dating more than 3300 years ago by many unknown authors, whose accounts are third hand, unearthed at least 300 years after the last entry by a group of outcast hermits and translated three times before an English copy was made. Not one entry in the Bible has been authenticated nor have any of the contents been verified.

And you are seriously wondering why your argument has no credibility?

The sentence that I quoted from the Bible, on face value, has very little credibility. Although it is not void of credibility. The story was written down. Therefore there is more credibility this biblical statement is true, than if the statement had never been made at all.

There is more credibility in suggesting that an all powerful God existed who was capable of creating heaven and earth, than there is to suggest that it all came from nothing.  Which is your claim.

There are fracture zones on this earth that are evidence that something caused the earth to fracture.  There is no scientific evidence of tectonic plate subduction. We have a worldwide myth of a great flood that has been past down through history via numerous cultures throughout the world.  It is a plausible explanation for this great flood, which many scientists deny, even though  they have no evidence to show that it did not happen.  The event was recorded which is evidence that it may have happened. It is a plausible explanation as to how the earth may have been completely covered with water.  It is a valid explanation as to how it could rain continuously for 40 days and 40 nights.  
  • @Sonofason
    The sentence that I quoted from the Bible, on face value, has very little credibility. Although it is not void of credibility. The story was written down. Therefore there is more credibility this biblical statement is true, than if the statement had never been made at all.
    So are Goofy comics written down, but, does that give them even a skerrick of truthfulness? No. Furthermore I fully explained why the Bible is no more than a book of unverified myths, contradictions and lies.That is; it has not one bit of credibility regarding truth. 

There is more credibility in suggesting that an all powerful God existed who was capable of creating heaven and earth, than there is to suggest that it all came from nothing.  Which is your claim.
    Is it my claim? No it isn't...it is what theists often say that atheists say in order to make a non-argument. Anyway, such a ridiculous argument defeats itself since I could just as easily say the same...."derrrr, I caught you out, like err You claim God came from nothing ha ha". Which I won't since you will then say "derrrr, like God always existed". and I would say, "something always existed". Okay...are we over that one now? Good, let's move on to your next feeble excuse....

There are fracture zones on this earth that are evidence that something caused the earth to fracture.  There is no scientific evidence of tectonic plate subduction. We have a worldwide myth of a great flood that has been past down through history via numerous cultures throughout the world.  It is a plausible explanation for this great flood, which many scientists deny, even though  they have no evidence to show that it did not happen.  The event was recorded which is evidence that it may have happened. It is a plausible explanation as to how the earth may have been completely covered with water.  It is a valid explanation as to how it could rain continuously for 40 days and 40 nights.  
    Scientists have not disproven Noah's Ark since there is not one piece of proof to disprove in the first place and disjointed, misquoted pseudo-science is completely discredited anyway. Come on, you are using another well-worn trick here...."Derrr, like you can't prove God doesn't exist....ha ha yucky do."

Whether you accept it or not, thinking atheists and sceptics are not swayed one bit by deceptive plays on words and concepts.
    Preachers rely on captive audiences of those who are naive, gullible, weak and impressionable on which to ply their lies and deception and will utilise the Bible (Torah, Quran, whatever) to reinforce their dishonesty because "it is written, therefore it's true".

You are not trying anything new here, it's all been done before. So long as there are plenty of impressionable suckers in this world we will always have plenty of dodgy second-hand car salesmen, naturopaths, chiropractors, psychics and any number of con-artists, including religious preachers, who will take advantage of them.

So, next time you care to preach from such a book that is clearly proven to be discredited just think of what the rest of the world (other than nincompoops) thinks about your deceptiveness.
    And then start wondering why, whenever you walk past the water cooler at work, your colleagues hanging around it will suddenly fall silent and look at the ceiling until you have passed by.
    Worth contemplating, isn't it?
    edited September 7
    Swolliw said:
    @Sonofason
    So are Goofy comics written down, but, does that give them even a skerrick of truthfulness? No. Furthermore I fully explained why the Bible is no more than a book of unverified myths, contradictions and lies.That is; it has not one bit of credibility regarding truth. 

Is it my claim? No it isn't...it is what theists often say that atheists say in order to make a non-argument. Anyway, such a ridiculous argument defeats itself since I could just as easily say the same...."derrrr, I caught you out, like err You claim God came from nothing ha ha". Which I won't since you will then say "derrrr, like God always existed". and I would say, "something always existed". Okay...are we over that one now? Good, let's move on to your next feeble excuse....

Scientists have not disproven Noah's Ark since there is not one piece of proof to disprove in the first place and disjointed, misquoted pseudo-science is completely discredited anyway. Come on, you are using another well-worn trick here...."Derrr, like you can't prove God doesn't exist....ha ha yucky do."

Whether you accept it or not, thinking atheists and sceptics are not swayed one bit by deceptive plays on words and concepts.
    Preachers rely on captive audiences of those who are naive, gullible, weak and impressionable on which to ply their lies and deception and will utilise the Bible (Torah, Quran, whatever) to reinforce their dishonesty because "it is written, therefore it's true".

You are not trying anything new here, it's all been done before. So long as there are plenty of impressionable suckers in this world we will always have plenty of dodgy second-hand car salesmen, naturopaths, chiropractors, psychics and any number of con-artists, including religious preachers, who will take advantage of them.

So, next time you care to preach from such a book that is clearly proven to be discredited just think of what the rest of the world (other than nincompoops) thinks about your deceptiveness.
    And then start wondering why, whenever you walk past the water cooler at work, your colleagues hanging around it will suddenly fall silent and look at the ceiling until you have passed by.
    Once again your response contains no evidence whatsoever.  I roughly explained to you how a global flood might have happened.  You did not show any evidence how what I have suggested could not have happened.  You say, "Scientists have not disproven Noah's Ark since there is not one piece of proof to disprove in the first place".
    But I'm sorry, that's not how it works.  One does not disprove proof. Indeed, I have never suggested there was proof of Noah's flood.  But if you have any, you can show some evidence or proof that there could never have been a massive aquifer of water beneath the earth's lithosphere. Or perhaps you could show evidence that the earth's tectonic plates are completely intact, and thus incapable of having been able to release such an immense quantity of water into the atmosphere.  
    It is interesting to note, that granite is an igneous granitoid rock which forms when hot, molten rock crystallizes and solidifies.  But that is not the extent of it.  It is a well known concept that rock crystallization occurs due to the presence of water.  Furthermore, all observations agree, that granite is the lowermost solid rock formation on earth.  All other rock formations are found on or beside it. Granite, as far as rocks go, covers nothing else.  Therefore, granite composes the lowermost crust of the earth's lithosphere.  Today we know that the basalt rock formations under our oceans were an overflow onto older sediments, likely granite rock formations.  Also interesting is the fact that geologists have become aware that the chemical composition of the earth's interior cannot explain the formation of granite, as the chemical composition of granite differs significantly from that of the earth's interior, where granite was formed.  It could only have happened due to the presence of water.

In the journal of Scientific American, in the section on the History of Geology, writer David Bressan published an article called Granite Wars - Episode 1: Fire & Water.  In his article he points out that there was:

"a professor of mineralogy named Abraham Gottlob Werner (1749-1817) who published in 1787 a book with the title "Kurze Klassifikation und Beschreibung der verschiedenen Gesteinsarten" (Short classification and description of the various rock-types) were he explained this difference in composition and texture by crystallization of all the rocks from a primordial ocean."

The conclusion here, according to Bressan is this:

"Early earth, born by the agglutination of cosmic matter, was at first covered by a primordial ocean, where all the elements, necessary to form minerals, were dissolved in the water. In the cooling ocean crystallization and deposition of the rocks started: first the oldest and hardest rocks - granite, gneiss and schist, then basalt and finally limestone and sandstone. After the last rocks crystallized, the sea dropped and erosion formed the last, and more recent, rocks and soils."

You see, early earth was covered with water...then there came the formation of granite.  Bressan surmises that the water "dropped".  If the water dropped, that means it was beneath the granite.  The point is, all of that water has since been ejected from its location under the granite rock layer due to extreme temperatures and pressures really doesn't matter.  The fact is, all that water that contributed to the formation of our granite crust is now a major component of the water we currently see in our oceans today.

• markemarke 372 Pts
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

Evidence?
    You seem to be making unfounded statements. Please give evidence for your claim that is not from a 2,000 year old book which has no proof.

Non-believers believe God is a myth.  They think that, not because they have evidence that is true, but because that is what they want to believe.

Sonofason
  • marke said:
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

Evidence?

Non-believers believe God is a myth.  They think that, not because they have evidence that is true, but because that is what they want to believe.

Just as God says, they trade the truth for a lie, and they are stubborn and rebellious.
    marke
  • marke said:
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

Evidence?

Again: that’s not evidence. That’s a sweeping remark about non-believers. Do you have any evidence? Like... information obtained through the process of scientific enquiry.
  • TrueLove said:
    marke said:
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

Evidence?

Just as God says, they trade the truth for a lie, and they are stubborn and rebellious.
    My reasoning for not believing in God is that there is actual scientific proof and evidence for God not existing, while there is none for the existence of God.
  • TrueLove said:
    marke said:
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

Evidence?

My reasoning for not believing in God is that there is actual scientific proof and evidence for God not existing, while there is none for the existence of God.
    If there were evidence for God not existing, you would show it.
    Happy_Killbot
  • Sonofason said:
    Swolliw said:
    @Sonofason

Once again your response contains no evidence whatsoever.  I roughly explained to you how a global flood might have happened.  You did not show any evidence how what I have suggested could not have happened.  You say, "Scientists have not disproven Noah's Ark since there is not one piece of proof to disprove in the first place".
    But I'm sorry, that's not how it works.  One does not disprove proof. Indeed, I have never suggested there was proof of Noah's flood.  But if you have any, you can show some evidence or proof that there could never have been a massive aquifer of water beneath the earth's lithosphere. Or perhaps you could show evidence that the earth's tectonic plates are completely intact, and thus incapable of having been able to release such an immense quantity of water into the atmosphere.  
    It is interesting to note, that granite is an igneous granitoid rock which forms when hot, molten rock crystallizes and solidifies.  But that is not the extent of it.  It is a well known concept that rock crystallization occurs due to the presence of water.  Furthermore, all observations agree, that granite is the lowermost solid rock formation on earth.  All other rock formations are found on or beside it. Granite, as far as rocks go, covers nothing else.  Therefore, granite composes the lowermost crust of the earth's lithosphere.  Today we know that the basalt rock formations under our oceans were an overflow onto older sediments, likely granite rock formations.  Also interesting is the fact that geologists have become aware that the chemical composition of the earth's interior cannot explain the formation of granite, as the chemical composition of granite differs significantly from that of the earth's interior, where granite was formed.  It could only have happened due to the presence of water.

In the journal of Scientific American, in the section on the History of Geology, writer David Bressan published an article called Granite Wars - Episode 1: Fire & Water.  In his article he points out that there was:

"a professor of mineralogy named Abraham Gottlob Werner (1749-1817) who published in 1787 a book with the title "Kurze Klassifikation und Beschreibung der verschiedenen Gesteinsarten" (Short classification and description of the various rock-types) were he explained this difference in composition and texture by crystallization of all the rocks from a primordial ocean."

The conclusion here, according to Bressan is this:

"Early earth, born by the agglutination of cosmic matter, was at first covered by a primordial ocean, where all the elements, necessary to form minerals, were dissolved in the water. In the cooling ocean crystallization and deposition of the rocks started: first the oldest and hardest rocks - granite, gneiss and schist, then basalt and finally limestone and sandstone. After the last rocks crystallized, the sea dropped and erosion formed the last, and more recent, rocks and soils."

You see, early earth was covered with water...then there came the formation of granite.  Bressan surmises that the water "dropped".  If the water dropped, that means it was beneath the granite.  The point is, all of that water has since been ejected from its location under the granite rock layer due to extreme temperatures and pressures really doesn't matter.  The fact is, all that water that contributed to the formation of our granite crust is now a major component of the water we currently see in our oceans today.

Is this too long to read?  Will no one address it?
  • @Sonofason
     Just because something is possible doesn’t mean it happened. If you provide actual evidence that Noah’s Ark happened, show it to me.
    edited September 7
    @Sonofason
     Just because something is possible doesn’t mean it happened. If you provide actual evidence that Noah’s Ark happened, show it to me.

Oceanic rifts are evidence.
    Ocean basins are evidence.
    Mountains are evidence.
    Biblical claims are evidence.
    Salinity of the ocean water is evidence.
    Granite formation is evidence.
    Characteristics of water under high pressure is evidence.
    The disappearance of mammoths is evidence.
    The geologic strata and deposition layers are evidence.
    The grand canyon is evidence.
    The ring of fire as they call it is evidence.
    I can go on and on.

All you need to do is put the pieces together, and you can see it for yourself.  But I am not writing the book for you...you'll have to actually seek the answer and make all the connections for yourself.  Actually look at the evidence.  Find out about the Hydroplate theory.  Find out about the expanding earth theory.  Understand the current theories, because I know you don't.  Keep an open mind.  Admit what you know, and admit what you don't know.

Happy_KillbotxlJ_dolphin_473Dee
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 2632 Pts
    edited September 7
    @Sonofason ;
    All you need to do is put the pieces together, and you can see it for yourself.  But I am not writing the book for you...you'll have to actually seek the answer and make all the connections for yourself.  Actually look at the evidence.  Find out about the Hydroplate theory.  Find out about the expanding earth theory.  Understand the current theories, because I know you don't.  Keep an open mind.  Admit what you know, and admit what you don't know.
    All of those things are evidence for Balzophet, god of blood, The one and only true god.

These fetures were carved into the earth when she defeated the other lesser gods in battle, as their fluids drained from their corpses, breathing life into the earth.

She now demands you a her sacrifice, you should be honored to receive such a timeless privilege! This is required or she will once again bring war to the world.

You wouldn't want to make her angry, she will torture you for eternity after you are slain should you resist, and bring death and destruction to our world.

Do you accept Balzophet's love into your heart and veins? The evidence is irrefutable, you should know since you mentioned it.

If you don't think that Balzophet is real, why should anyone think yours is?
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • TrueLove said:
    marke said:
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

Evidence?

No there isn't scientific evidence.  
    You are just as God says:

Lovers of darkness, haters of light, evil doers afraid of exposure, stiff necked, resistant, obstinate, those who do bad and want to keep doing bad, pursuers of their own imagination, choosers of what displeases God, futile thinkers, those without excuse, choosers of lies, self seeking, rejecters, followers of evil, those hostile to God, deceived by sin, blinded, earthly, taken by the devil, no endurance, choked by life’s worries and riches and pleasures, they don’t mature, stubborn, follow their own devices, rebellious hearts, turn aside, gone away, stubborn pride, refuse to give up evil and stubborn ways, deceitful, unwilling.

John 3:19, 20; Acts 7:51; Isaiah30:9; 65:2; 65:11,12; Romans 1:19-21; 1:25; 1:28; 2:8; 8:7; 2 Thessalonians 2:10; Hebrews 3:13; 2 Corinthians 4:3-4; Philippians 3:19; Matthew 13:19; Luke 8:11-16; Psalm 81:12; Isaiah 48:4; Jeremiah 5:23; 7:24; Leviticus 26:19; Judges 2:19; Hosea 4:16.

Happy_KillbotSonofasonxlJ_dolphin_473
  • @TrueLove ;
    If you don't need evidence to believe in something, then ought you believe in pink fuzzy unicorns, always just out of sight?

There are no evidence for them, you just have to believe. It's just as silly, don't you think?
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
    edited September 7
    @Sonofason ;
    All of those things are evidence for Balzophet, god of blood, The one and only true god.

These fetures were carved into the earth when she defeated the other lesser gods in battle, as their fluids drained from their corpses, breathing life into the earth.

She now demands you a her sacrifice, you should be honored to receive such a timeless privilege! This is required or she will once again bring war to the world.

You wouldn't want to make her angry, she will torture you for eternity after you are slain should you resist, and bring death and destruction to our world.

Do you accept Balzophet's love into your heart and veins? The evidence is irrefutable, you should know since you mentioned it.

If you don't think that Balzophet is real, why should anyone think yours is?
    If you want to believe that tectonic plate subduction actually occurs simply because some scientist or group of scientists says so, then by all means believe it.  But I do not accept evidence I haven't seen.  I do not consider data I do not understand to be evidence for a belief, and I do not accept claims without evidence.  If you want me to believe that Balzophet is real, then by all means, show your evidence.  I will remain open minded until I I am pursuaded by the evidence to either believe or not believe.  What I have described are all processes that fit within the framework of science.  Balzophet doesn't.
  • @TrueLove ;
    If you don't need evidence to believe in something, then ought you believe in pink fuzzy unicorns, always just out of sight?

There are no evidence for them, you just have to believe. It's just as silly, don't you think?
    Nearly every historical occurrence is explainable via the scientific method.  If one were to accept the possible existence of God as a reality, then all historical events are explainable via the scientific method.