frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

#FlattenTheCurve - COVID19 stay home

Debate Information

It’s important for everyone to stay home and follow guidance of the #FlattenTheCurve movement to slow down the spread of the Coronavirus (aka COVID 19).  That’s important to let the healthcare systems adjust capacity to accommodate demand of sick patients.
So please stay home, work from home, debate online, watch tv, what have you.  #FlattenTheCurve
  1. Live Poll

#FlattenTheCurve - stay home?

8 votes
    1. Yes
      25.00%
    2. No
      75.00%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    How can we spread the boomer remover if we don't leave our homes?
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    Nonsense , I don’t buy into all this over the top fear mongering the police had to protect people outside supermarkets as panic gripped the nation over here , herd mentality prevails as the lesson being thought here is ......when a threat comes along go into a blind panic .......it’s totally irresponsible as media keeps bleating on about deaths and never once mentions most people recover quickly from this in fact quicker than they would from a flu.
    MayCaesarBlastcat
  • This also makes an interesting read:

Boiling water kills or inactivates viruses, bacteria, protozoa and other pathogens by using heat to damage structural components and disrupt essential life processes (e.g. denature proteins). ... In water, pasteurization is reported to begin at temperatures as low as 131°F/55°C for protozoan cysts.

https://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/water/drinking/boilwater/response_information_public_health_professional.htm

• Dee said:
    Nonsense , I don’t buy into all this over the top fear mongering the police had to protect people outside supermarkets as panic gripped the nation over here , herd mentality prevails as the lesson being thought here is ......when a threat comes along go into a blind panic .......it’s totally irresponsible as media keeps bleating on about deaths and never once mentions most people recover quickly from this in fact quicker than they would from a flu.

@Dee initially I did think this was all a fuss about nothing but now I cannot really say the same. The UK threat level has now been raised from moderate to high. Now, while it is said that the majority of cases are mild to moderate there are cases more severe that affect the elderly and/or those with underlying medical conditions such as Diabetes, Cancer, Lung Diseases, etc. And I think we should play our part in helping to protect these people too.

According to the WHO, this is now a Pandemic and it is the Fourth worst one that the globe has seen for one or more generations. The first one was Spanish Flu 1918 killing more than 50 million globally, the second one being the Asian Flu 1958 killing about 2 million people globally, and then the Hong Kong Flu 1968 killing about 4 million people.

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42

What I find remarkable is media and governments rarely mention recovery rates and keep bleating on and on with scare tactics ,60,000 a year die from flu and what do we do we carry on ,I bet the death rate from this is less than the flu when its all over, I still think it's a total over reaction 

A friend of mine has it and lives in Denmark the medics came and told him to stay at home and if he got worse ring them 4 days later hes fine no medication required , the phenomenon we are witnessing is the " madness of crowds  "
    Blastcat
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6021 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    @ZeusAres42

WHO honestly is one of the least respectable UN agencies out there. The amount of false alarms and authoritarian proposals they have made over the last few decades is truly spectacular.

This coronavirus is truly an interesting beast, because there are countless coronaviruses out there that have always been out there and never seemed to be a problem. Now a lot of deaths are attributed to one specific type of coronavirus, but who is doing the attribution really? More than half of the recorded 6,000 deaths, for example, have been in China, a country with total lack of any freedom of information, and 600 more in Iran for which same goes. So already the actual cause of the 2/3 of all reported deaths is virtually impossible to verify.
    Then, even in the cases where we do have the trustworthy information, it is almost impossible to claim that the virus was actually the cause of deaths, and in most cases it seems to merely have had a minor contribution to the health of the patients with already existing terminal conditions. There is "survival analysis" in mathematical statistics, and one of its applications is statistical deduction of the primary reasons behind patient deaths - a notoriously untacklable problem, considering the number of factors at play. It is hard to even scientifically prove that a patient with a late stage cancer and no other prior health conditions actually died to that cancer and not something else; our organisms typically develop conditions in droves, and one serious health condition creates a cascade effect. Yet here suddenly we can somehow attribute all recorded deaths to the virus about which we know so little?
    Finally, the growth of the number of cases over time does not match the most basic expectations: even according to the official data the growth with time is mostly linear, not exponential, as would be expected in case of an actual global pandemic.
    There is also a spectacular discrepancy between the death rate reported by various countries: in China it is approximately 4%, but in France it seems to be well over 50%. Does the virus discriminate against the French? ;)

I am starting to think at this point that the whole thing is mostly made up: there is clearly some virus there and it clearly poses some minor danger to people, but I see nothing of credence to suggest that this is any different from normal. It is likely to just be an observer bias: now that everyone believes that there is a pandemic, countless false positives are scored across the world. Doctors find the virus in someone's organism, same kind of virus that they have encountered millions times before, but this time they do make a note of it - and when a negligible number of people do die, same number of people that perhaps was expected to die in the absence of virus as well, they of course attribute the deaths to the virus.

I do not see any proper scientific analysis of the situation anywhere, just empty claims and misuse of basic statistics. I highly recommend the book "How to Lie with Statistics" by Darrell Huff for the general audience, as it describes the many ways in which it can be done.

I have to conclude that the problem is not only exaggerated by the media, but, in fact, likely does not even exist. Observer's bias explains all the data I have on this sufficiently well, as far as I am concerned. Maybe I am wrong, but I have arrived at the same conclusion in various situations of this kind many times before and never had to change my stances.
    DeeZeusAres42Grafix
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    @MayCaesar

***** Maybe I am wrong, but I have arrived at the same conclusion in various situations of this kind many times before and never had to change my stances.

I’m of very same opinion, I’ve heard various supposed threats to mankind over my life and never once stooped to accepting the herd mentality on such ,  I prefer to weigh up and evaluate evidence from reputable sources and the grip of panic that’s seized the world is totally irrational and out of proportion to a virus that carries as much threat as the flu .

A 1% fatality risk is moderate and is in the ballpark of other viruses such as respiratory syncytial virus associated with hospitalisation in children. It is, however, lower than the case fatality risk was for the coronavirus strains that caused the SARS epidemic in 2002 – which was 10% – and for MERS in 2013, which was about 35%.

The madness of Crowds 

In reading the history of nations, we find that, like individuals, they have their whims and their peculiarities; their seasons of excitement and recklessness, when they care not what they do. We find that whole communities suddenly fix their minds upon one object, and go mad in its pursuit; that millions of people become simultaneously impressed with one delusion, and run after it, till their attention is caught by some new folly more captivating than the first...Money, again, has often been a cause of the delusion of multitudes. Sober nations have all at once become desperate gamblers, and risked almost their existence upon the turn of a piece of paper... Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one. Charles Mackay, L.L.D.

Blastcat
  • GrafixGrafix 248 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    @MayCaesar - Bravo, May!  We actually agree on something. Agree there are factual holes in the statistics, diagnoses, absence of appropriate media reporting and other factors, which don't support the WHO hysteria.  I also agree that nothing the U.N. or its affiliates do anymore, can be trusted.  It clearly has an Agenda, which is not in the people's interests, but acts in the interests of vested interests.  It has been corrupted..

The Ebola virus revealed some disturbing evidence, which began to break, but was then suddenly all hushed up.  How many remember, it was established that the Red Cross and those doing the anti-vaccine inoculations were actually spreading Ebola, because the virus bacteria was found in the anti-virus inoculation serum.  I am not  attempting to allege here that the Red Cross or any others administering the Ebola vaccine  inoculations were aware of that.  It was all quickly hushed up, so we never got the answer to that question. Am merely saying that these so-called epidemics are suspicious.  Think back on it.  We've had the Asian Flu', SARS, HIV Aids virus, Ebola and several others that I can't recall, now this. 

But what happens to them?  They just disappear off the face of the earth ever so suddenly, which is not characteristic of any  virus, even after everyone accepts the vaccination.  Viruses just don't do that.  They crop up with regularity from time to time for at least a decade or two after the initial outbreak, until all traces of the bacteria are finally expunged from the face of the earth.  Eradication, historically, cannot happen overnight and particularly not in a world that is criss-crossed by globe-trotters daily, yet all of these have.  So what's really going on? 

I firmly believe these viruses are created in test tubes in science labs, that it is a form of population control - not involving government necessarily, although it probably does in China.  It's possible it's the privileged one-percenters, the elitist trillionaires and billionaires, the Bill Gates and his wife, the Mark Zuckerbergs of this world, George Soros, the likes of Robert de Niro and many Hollywood actors, with scores of others on the record pouring funds into eugenics science programs.  They really do believe in population control and that they are the privileged set who don't want the "mob" overlowing into their playgrounds and special spaces, etc.  Their support for eugenics is well documented and widely known. 

The pattern is always the same.  The scare mongering drive to scare people into accepting the vaccination of the day.  There is supposedly a Coronavirus vaccine already in the making.   Similarly, in every case in the past, they seem to come up with an anti-vaccine in no time flat.  It's just not realistic.  If it were, then how come they haven't come up with a vaccine for the flu' after all these centuries to eradicate it?  Instead we are encouraged to take yet another vaccine every year.  Suspicious?  I believe these vaccines contain harmful bacteria, not immediately detectable, but which develop terminal illnesses later, that appear to be from natural causes.  For all we know they could be the cause of many cancers, for example. 

I never take the flu' shot for this reason, given the long list of litigation cases suing the government over side-effects from something supposedly as benign as the flu vaccination.  The list of compensation claims against the government is huge, in relation to mandatory vaccines.

The further back we look, the greater forward insight we can have. History speaks.
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    I'm staying home, cleaning myself with alcohol … inside and out …. can't be too careful, ya'know! :dizzy:
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @AlofRI

Very sensible , I assured my wife all the extra booze I bought was purely medicinal and that  viral infections  detest beers and spirits , it’s basic science really 
    AlofRIBlastcat