frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Was Brexit a good decision for the UK?

Debate Information

Position: For
I believe that it was a good decision, but there is plenty of controversy around this, so I would like to debate.

Debra AI Prediction

For
Predicted To Win
61%
Likely
39%
Unlikely

Details +

For:

41% (12 Points)

Against:

59% (17 Points)

Votes: 2

Debate Type: Traditional Debate

Voting Format: Moderate Voting

Opponent: JGXdebatePRO

Rounds: 3

Time Per Round: 48 Hours Per Round

Voting Period: 7 Days

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Voting

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: Against
    JGXdebatePROJGXdebatePRO 408 Pts   -  
    The debate over Brexit is over before it starts. The logic is on the remainer's side. The most googled question after the vote was "what is the EU" Clearly showing that people voted Brexit out of ignorance. The trade routes we were offered are far more convenient than the so called freedom we get we get from leaving the EU. We had a say in EU laws anyway.Image result for anti brexit memes
    “The best revenge is not to be like your enemy.” – Marcus Aurelius
  • Round 1 | Position: For
    xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1712 Pts   -  
    I do not believe that we voted out of ignorance, but because the EU is anti-patriotic and anti-nationalism. People want to defend their country's independence. People also wanted the UK to be in charge of our own borders, not forced to open them to other members of the EU. Although some people did undoubtedly vote out of ignorance, there is clearly more to the story.  I will get to your point about the trade routes later.
    Firstly, the euro as a currency is a disaster. It is extremely unstable, and EU countries are overly reliant on it, despite the fact that it was by no means an ideal currency.
    My second point, and one that I will discuss in depth later on, is that we send £350 million a week to the EU, enough to build a new NHS hospital every week. We get less than half of this money back, and have no say whatsoever on how it is spent.
    My third point (for now) is that the EU is a disaster for democracy. As the representative from one member state is obviously a tiny minority, the other members of the EU could outvote that representative on matters which happen in the representative's country. 'But there is democracy in the EU,' I hear you say. While the European parliament can be voted out, the European Commission cannot, and it is the latter who wields the most power.
    Next round: rebuttals and questions. 
  • Round 2 | Position: Against
    @xIJ_dolphin_473 I will now proceed to rebut your points. First of all, your point about the euro is invalid as Britain does not use the euro and will not is the foreseeable future. Second, we do actually have a say in what the EU does with tax as the EU is a democratic establishment. To rebut your third point, i will simply repeat a former point. We have MEPs who have a say in EU affairs. Perhaps you should revise on your info. You also said something about "outvoting". I'm afraid this is the nature of democracy and if this finds you unwell, then do not live in a democratic society.
  • Round 2 | Position: For
    @xIJ_dolphin_473 I will now proceed to rebut your points. First of all, your point about the euro is invalid as Britain does not use the euro and will not is the foreseeable future. 
    Yes, it is lucky that we kept our currency, as otherwise we would have become reliant on the unstable euro for our trade.
    JGXdebatePRO said:
    Second, we do actually have a say in what the EU does with tax as the EU is a democratic establishment. 
    This is not wholly true, for two reasons.
    1. People in other countries get a say on what happens here, and people from other countries could easily outvote us on matters concerning our own country.
    2. As you said, outvoting is the nature of democracy. So, how do you think it is democratic for a European Commission to hold most of the power, despite the fact that they cannot be outvoted?
    You also said something about "outvoting". I'm afraid this is the nature of democracy and if this finds you unwell, then do not live in a democratic society.
    Yes, what you have said proves my point. Outvoting is indeed the nature of democracy. So, how do you think it is democratic for most of the EU power to he held by a committee who cannot be outvoted?

Leaving the EU would allow us to be free to trade with the whole world, rather than being forced to trade with key allies such as Turkey and Russia. If we have a disagreement with these countries, we should be free not to trade with them, and forge deals with other countries instead.
  • Round 3 | Position: Against
    @xIJ_dolphin_473 The European commission is actually democratic as members of the European parliament vote for the role, so what you have just said is fallacious. Now, some reasons why the EU helps Britain be the best it can be:
     It is the largest international single market in the world, which has lead to:
    • greater competition in services - which is good for businesses and consumers
    • removal of trade barriers
    • reduction of business costs
    • greater business efficiency
    • elimination of anti-competitive practices - such as monopolies and cartels

The EU has taken measures to reform and make it even easier for countries to trade with each other, such as:

reducing paperwork
    harmonising standards - eg technical and safety standards
    introducing the euro - allowing a single currency to trade with
    enforcing the movement of people - allowing member state citizens to move freely between other countries

So surely this proves the legitimacy of the EU?
  • Round 3 | Position: For
    @JGXdebatePRO
    You have made some strong arguments during this debate. However:
    This is not a debate about whether the EU is useful to its member states. The debate title is: 

Was Brexit a good decision for the UK?

You've said a lot about the greatness of the EU, and I do not deny that the EU may have benefits, but I believe that the downfalls outweigh the negatives. You say that enforcing the movement of people is a good thing... I do not see how this is the case. Countries are forced to allow other citizens from the EU, that they may not want. And you may say, "But countries can leave if they don't want immigrants". Yes, they can. This is precisely what the UK has done. And this is why I think Brexit was, on the whole, a good decision for the UK.