frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

What discount stocks might be good buys?

Debate Information

Why are we talking about Jesus? The stock market is down... way down... that means buy while blood runs through the streets.

Obviously, it will come back up, but that means that for anyone with cash on hand there is an awesome opportunity to make a lot of money from buying stocks of companies that will survive the market crash.
(some experts think it could go down as much as 24%, compared to the 2008 6.3%, and the great depression 15%) 

Investing in companies during these volatile times comes with a lot of risk of course, because the companies which can not weather the storm will represent a sunk cost if they go out of business. The market as a whole should be fine, so if you are like me and primarily invest in the index you should probably just be patient and wait for the prices to come back up in a few years time.

So here are my thoughts right now on what might prove to be good investments:

Fast food: Companies like McDonalds, burger king, Wendys, etc. took a blow because people are not going out to eat as much (social distancing and whatnot). These companies are likely to weather the storm by scaling down slightly, maybe a few chains will close but on the whole the franchises should survive. An interesting side note is that pizza joints are doing reasonably well right now. (I guess delivery?) Perhaps some other fast food places will adapt to offer delivery in response to people self-quarantining. This has earned them a spot at the top of this list.

Tech companies: These would have been a good buy earlier this decade, and I think that right now they should be a reasonable buy, simply because they can scale back quickly and then ramp up in response to demand. On the whole they should be able to survive the recession because even if they can not move products as fast, they can keep them in stock until a latter date. Since much of their business model is just to push out innovation and the next best thing, this will have to be cut or scaled back, but this would only be a temporary inconvenience.

Airports: Getting a little riskier here, I think that there is a good chance that the US government will do that thing they do when they want to protect critical private infrastructure. They will almost definitely bail out struggling private airlines. If they do that, then  they will most likely return to former prominence and end up being a massive financial gain for their stock holders. This is at the bottom of this list because their is no guarantee that the government will decide to bail them out, and thus represents a huge risk, but potentially huge reward.

Alright, so that is all I have for now, I am still in the process of doing research but these are the types of stocks I have been looking at so far. This opportunity is too good to pass up, especially for anyone who is young enough to get long term profit back from it. So for anyone else who routinely trades stocks, what are your thoughts on what might be good or bad trades right now?

At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
Through a long process of evolution this life 
developed into the human race.
Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5971 Pts   -  
    Something I noticed in my area is that gas prices plummeted; they are the lowest I have ever seen. Which makes sense: people are not driving to work as much, and most people are afraid of travelling at large distances.

Granted, gas prices depend on a lot of factors, including the general oil prices, which might not change as directly as some other prices - nonetheless, it is something to think about. Perhaps petrol companies are worth investing in right now.
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar I don't know if it has so much to do with people not driving as much as it does with the Saudi's flooding the market with cheap oil. Maybe worth the buy in the short run, but I don't know as a long term option.
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.