Movies are detrimental to creativity and imagination - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com. The only online debate website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the leading online debate website. Debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything! Debate online for free! DebateIsland is utilizing Artifical Intelligence to transform online debating.

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Movies are detrimental to creativity and imagination
in Movies

By SurodeepMukherjeeSurodeepMukherjee 11 Pts edited April 19
Give your views on the following using the PEEL format - make sure to site sources when making points and/or using evidence. Remember - DEBATE ON THE TOPIC ONLY, no personal attacks.
I_Am_Logan_from_BTRxlJ_dolphin_473Josh_DrakeDhruvJainArnav_GT

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Arguments

• @SurodeepMukherjee
    Welcome to my argument, my name is @xlJ_dolphin_473 and I believe that movies are beneficial to creativity and imagination. 

My first point is that movies can inspire spin-offs or 'fanfiction', which is where fans of a movie write creative literature about the movie - like what happens to characters at the end for example. There are huge websites online dedicated to fanfiction, like FanFiction and WattPad.

My second point is that movies create huge numbers of creative jobs. The plot writer, for example, has to use their creativity to come up with an interesting plot that viewers will enjoy. And the actors and actresses have to act their parts in a creative way to engage viewers.

My third and final point is that movies are a form of escapism, and directly stimulate your imagination while you are watching them. It is most enjoyable to be transported to another world by watching a movie.
    Josh_DrakeAkshaya_09Arnav_GT
  • My first taste of just how uncreative and predictable movies (especially those in the modern age) are was when I looked at video games. Has anybody noticed how video games are better at being movies than actual movies?

My hatred of movies is especially influenced by my sight of B-rated horror films. What kind of film has youths axed off because they dared to give in to their hormones and have sex? Who the would want to live in that kind of boring- world? As long as condoms are used properly, I don't see any problem with having sex.

And don't get me started on the rampant homophobic and racist jokes. This type of behavior on creative is why I believe over half of these movies were written by boomer types who have never seen a minority or an LGBT person in their life outside of a Ronald Reagan rally.

I have only known few examples of these points not being the case, so I took a look at the movie community, and holy mother of god, what a cancer. That community is filled with people who are so out of touch, you couldn't get them to reach for a 45 foot pole. I went onto r/movies to explain why going back to purchasing physical DVDs is not the answer to combating online streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, etc. and why there should be technological advancements (e.g. Means TV) instead of regressions in response to a post, and these morons acted like I had smoked crack, and you dare make a movie with any progressive values in it, these people will review-bomb the ever-loving daylights out of it.

Nowadays the only thing that could even remotely be considered 'movies' that I enjoy watching is puroresu.
    NidhishMarlechaArnav_GT
  • Hello, here is my argument. I do not believe that Movies are detrimental to creativity and imagination.

Harry Potter was the movie that was believed to be the first attempt to study whether there any educational benefits in exposing children to magical content and Researchers Dr. Eugene Subbotsky, Claire Hysted and Nicola Jones from the Department of Psychology at Lancaster University concluded that: “Magical thinking enables children to create fantastic imaginary worlds, and in this way enhances children’s capacity to view the world and act upon it from multiple perspectives. The results suggested that books and videos about magic might serve to expand children’s imagination and help them to think more creatively.” 

xlJ_dolphin_473Josh_DrakeI_Am_Logan_from_BTR
  • @Akshaya_09 Thank you for your view. But, one piece of evidence alone is not good enough to prove a point. More evidence and explanation needed. Keep adding on.
  • Hello, I am @Arnav_GT and I believe that movies are detrimental to imagination and creativity. I would like to support my belief by providing the following argument.

Movies won't allow you to create a picture of a character.
    If you have read a book that you liked, and you like the book for the way the characters are portrayed, you probably have a really pretty image of the characters in your head. Supposing there's a movie made based on the book, there's a high chance that the actor will not live up to your imagination and may not fulfil the character's role for you.

Movies create stereotypes in many areas.
    If I ask you to tell me the first thing that comes to your mind when I say the word alien, I'm pretty sure you would think of a green or grey, big-headed alien with two black eyes and having three or four fingers. We don't even know if they exist yet we have a stereotype, thanks to movies. Romantic movies define what is love, how it should be expressed and who is a good person to love. Love need not be expressed by giving flowers, cards or chocolates, love can be expressed in any way, but these definitions provided by movies limit our creativity. 

lastly......
    Action movies make adolescents more aggressive.
    A research was conducted by professors of the University of Putra Malaysia on two hundred and sixteen 13-17 adolescents to test the relation between action movies and adolescents' aggression. The result revealed that there was a significant positive correlation between affection toward movies and attitudes concerning aggression. 
    Josh_DrakeI_Am_Logan_from_BTR
  • Hi, I'm Prang. I do not agree that Movies are detrimental to creativity and imagination but in the other hand, it helps create imagination. 

Sometimes when you read book, you could not imagine the things written in the book. Example Alien, the description of the alien in the book always be very complicate to imagine. Jelly body? One eye? Feet full with fur? many people could not imagine that but in the movie, they create a picture for us and in the next time we read and found something like this we will be able to imagine it.

And with all the effects created in the movie along with the audio, it made us improve our auditory imagery and also our visual imagery.

This is why I think that movie helps create imagination, Thank you.

xlJ_dolphin_473I_Am_Logan_from_BTR
  • I am going to talk against the given topic that 'Movies are detrimental to creativity and imagination' 

First of all, when we talk about movies there are hundreds and thousands of them available. While we have the option to watch whatever we want, it is now our responsibility to watch a movie which is trivial. 

In movies we might see something that we have never thought of, for example, I would like to mention the movie in time. This is an excellent movie with a very different setting and approaches towards life. There are several movies that are better for creativity and imagination. Which opens up our thinking and imagination. We learn things we never thought of at any time. We need to watch the right movie for it not to be detrimental to creativity and imagination. 

When we talk about movies there are plenty of them and we justify the statement given due to the same reason.

It really depends on watching the movie. The greatness of movies depends on various things such as the production team, context & setting, writers, and actors.

Movies can improve our language, facts, general knowledge, and many other such things.  

Movies affect many of us powerfully because the combined impact of images, music, dialogue, lighting, sound, and special effects can elicit deep feelings and help us reflect on our lives. They can help us to better understand our own lives, the lives of those around us, and even how our society and culture operate.

Think of everyone in the film industry, they are always trying to be creative while making new movies and that creativity also comes from imagination. 

In fact, movies are also used as a psychological tool to treat and help the needy. 

• Hi and welcome to my argument, i do support that movies are detrimental to creativity and imagination.

According to me, movies limit our imagination. When we watch a movie, we don't really have to imagine the characters or scenes because they are all right in front on the screen. As an example when we are told to draw an alien, the first thing that come t our mind is that green creature with big eyes although we have never seen before. But because we have seen them in the movie, we have a basic thought that they look like that. Some movies are also easy to guess what will the characters do next and the main thing is movies last only an hour or two while books stay more than that.

When we read books we imagine the picture in our way with the magic of descriptive words. The characters and scenes in the book are more detailed. We might not be able to recognize all of the character's feature or appearance when we watch movie, but when we read we go through all of them.

Thank you. 
  • lililululililulu 20 Pts
    I believe that saying that all movies are detrimental to creativity and imagination, and vice versa, is too general. Sure, some viewers may be left completely uninspired after watching a movie, but others may become more creative or imaginative. I believe that ultimately, it depends on who the viewer is.

I can think of 2 movies which support this point. The Perfect Date may be a teen rom-com which is a waste of time at worst and frivolous at best, if you are a mature viewer who looks for complex ideas or themes to think about in movies, or an artistically-inclined viewer who looks for aesthetically pleasing shots and moving music. However, for a young tween, this movie may actually inspire them to be more creative or more imaginative. For example, she might look at the phone app which allows the male lead to be a stand-in boyfriend and think about creating another phone app that is (hopefully) a bit more useful. A movie which may leave someone uninspired and bored may actually lead to new, exciting ideas for another. Secondly, a more "artsy" film like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind may be incredibly exciting for a viewer who enjoys complex themes and ideas, and the movie might even leave her thinking about how she can express the ideas of memory and identity better in a song, painting or poem. However, a tween boy interested in gory action sequences may find this excruciatingly boring and be unable to choreograph a hip-hop routine later.

Other than the viewers, the creators of this movie are able to stretch their creativity and imagination in the process of making these movies. The directors and producers who imagine a vision in their head and give instructions based on their vision of what the movie should be like, the actors whose jobs are to literally imagine themselves as the character they are portraying, the set designers to use their artistic skills to create a space which evokes a certain mood and effect, music composers who have to write music to tell certain messages that tie in (or contradict to make a point) with the story. Together, these people create movies which encourage people to imagine a different world, to put themselves in the shoes of characters and to care about them, and to think about certain themes and topics. Or simply to create movies which allow people to imagine what it feels like to fall in love, explore a new songwriting idea or try on a different style.

Thus, I believe that movies can be both detrimental, and helpful to creativity and imagination.

Shuvayu
  • ShuvayuShuvayu 4 Pts
    Welcome to my argument. The topic presented to us reads as follows- "Movies are detrimental to creativity and imagination" and I shall prove the legitimacy of this statement is by listing out valid arguments.

Let me start my argument with a personal narrative. I admit to the guilty pleasure of staying up late all night reading, indulging in a world of childhood fantasy and being obsessed with a trio of teenagers consisting of a ginger haired boy with a refreshing humour, a girl with a perfectionist attitude and a messy haired boy with a lightning scar on his head. I bet you have figured out that I am talking about the famous Harry Potter series. In modern times, the progression in the world of cinematography has been astronomical. The limits of artistic possibility has been set and shattered numerous times since we live in the time of advanced special effects (VFX and 3-D effects).The appetite for fairy tales, science fiction, fantasy films and extraordinary stories has never been greater. However does this mean, these movies hones our imagination and creativity? The answer is NO.

We frequently observe that movie is created based of the book, and when this happens there is a defined change of direction and interaction between the audience and the medium of expression. The dynamic of interaction experiences a gradual shift and is totally different when viewing a film as opposed to reading a book. When we watch a film we are drawn into a sympathetic relationship with the protagonist. We go on HIS adventure with HIM and identify visually and emotionally with HIS failures, accomplishments, fears, joys and sorrows, conflicts and triumphs.
    This results in a lack of stimulation of human imagination as the movies dictates your thinking and feelings throughout the run-time and thus very little is left for the audience to imagine. Hence the entire process is imaginatively passive. 

However if we change the medium of communication from movies to books, we notice a great deal of difference. In a book, the author transmits and communicates the story from his imagination to our imagination and this provides room for individualised interpretations as we have a different and varied take on each story, because we tend to use our imagination and schemas to understand the story in our terms This leads to a stronger and a more personal connection between the audience, author and the story.

This exciting and intimate relationship of the imagination and the story is missing in the cinematic experience. Instead of our imagination being engaged in a unique relationship with the imagination of the author, everything is provided for us by the intermediary–the film director. We are coerced into aligning our perception of the story with his imagination, thus leaving little or no room for creativity and imagination.

Humans are wonderful beings blessed with a power of imagination- an ability to think beyond the realms and premises of reality. This skill should be exercised and appreciated, which the movies fails to do.

I hope I was successful in making the reader believe that movies are indeed detrimental to creativity and imagination. Thank you!
    lililulu
  • lililululililulu 20 Pts

Your argument makes logical sense, and I do agree that books do force you to be more imaginative in a sense as you picture certain scenarios in your hear and hear different conversations. However, would it also be possible that the creative stimulation can happen after watching the movie? Personally, I like to think about movies after I've watched them and imagine different scenarios. Also, these thoughts probably do influence the ideas and thoughts that I have later (I like to write music) so perhaps the movie did allow me to become more creative in another sense.

Perhaps we can also think about what happens after we watch the movie, and not just during the actual movie-watching itself?
    Shuvayu
  • ShuvayuShuvayu 4 Pts
    @lililulu ;
    You have a valid point. Movies might stimulate a creative line of thought post watching but however compared to other medium of expression, it sets quite rigid premises on your imagination. However it is quite common that someone might get inspired by a movie. A good example of this would be fan-fictions like someone mentioned. (I believe they have a dedicated fan fiction pages for Harry Potter and Star Wars). However, my arguments were focused more on the process (reading the book or watching the film) than the aftermath of it. This being said, one cannot definitively label them as a promoter or an inhibitor of imagination. Like every other thing, movies have it's pros and cons.
    lililulu
  • Hanna_PHanna_P 5 Pts
    Hello, I do not agree with the topic ' Movies are detrimental to creativity and imagination' and i do believe that watching movies can increase the potential of creativity and imagination.

Movies in addition to allowing us to have fun and enjoyment, there are still many benefits that we think movies was created from imagination, experience and reality that may have happened and broadcast on the film so we can get to know the story. Movies can also create new values in society, whether it be fashion trend or getting good culture into life.

Movies reflects the context of life and social conditions in era visually, moreover, movies inspires us and can create our tomorrow in such a way we want it to be. Sometimes, just one scene in the movie may change the attitude and mindset of some people forever, such as watching a super hero movie then urged to want to protect good things and fight for evils until rise up to change real life to fight with various obstacle and problem. In other hand, movies also allow us to use imagination as well as we keep guessing the coming scene.

lastly, as an example, after we watched horror movie and we are alone, we always imagine that someone might be staring at us from behind or above. The extension of imagination from movies depends on how different movies and how it persuades the audience.

Shuvayu
  • I can't see why movies should be detrimental to creativity and imagination. They very much reflect how powerful imagination and creativity can be. Through movies one can enjoy and have fun. Movies also showcase the social or political scenario of the world in general and the place you live in in particular. Take for example fantasy movies or horror movies showcase a good deal of creativity and imagination. I agree with @Hanna_P.
    Lover, hunter, friend and enemy
    You will always be every one of these
    Nothing's fair in love and war.