Supernatural and fantasy thinking about religion. Is it good or evil? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com. The only online debate website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the leading online debate website. Debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything! Debate online for free! DebateIsland is utilizing Artifical Intelligence to transform online debating.

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Supernatural and fantasy thinking about religion. Is it good or evil?
in Religion

By GnosticChristianGnosticChristian 130 Pts

Supernatural and fantasy thinking about religion. Is it good or evil?

We can scientifically explain the supernatural itch that some allow to control their thinking.

In children, this might be a good way of expanding their minds, but adults are asked to put away the things of children, which, to me, includes supernatural and fantasy thinking.

I use these to show substance dualism. I see this as a useful trait for us in nature but not for our spiritual and religious sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWx_uVDh4Cw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IqYHiejTVM

I see thinking supernaturally as a deterrent to knowing god, even as I promote fantasy thinking in the seeking of the best rulers and laws to live by, which is a good definition for god. After all, Moses, not that he was real, came down from the mountain with rules and laws and not some fantasy supernatural god.  

The laws on earth can never be the same laws as in heaven and we can never reach the pinnacle of as above, so below.  

Do you see supernatural thinking as childish or adult thinking?

Do you see supernatural thinking in childish as good?

Do you see supernatural thinking in adults as evil?

Regards
DL

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• AlofRIAlofRI 733 Pts
    It seems to me that, having a conversation with a talking, burning bush, is about a "supernatural" as it gets. Just saying.
    GnosticChristian
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 2059 Pts
    I think that there is definitely some benefit to supernatural thinking if ti results in some desirable behavior that is advantageous.

For example, if you believe that eating raw or recently killed meat will anger the animal's spirit, then that leads you to cook the meat first preventing disease and parasites then that is a useful superstition. However this thinking doesn't replace the true knowledge that sickness isn't caused by spirits but by microorganism, then holding on to that superstition starts to be a burden because it prevents you from achieving further understanding.
    GnosticChristian
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • AlofRI said:
    It seems to me that, having a conversation with a talking, burning bush, is about a "supernatural" as it gets. Just saying.
    I agree, from a literalist POV.

From an esoteric POV, it makes all the sense in the world.

All it means to me is that Moses put his ideas to the fire of debate and thought and purified his thinking.

He blew it of course with an inferior set of commandments, but for the times, it was not that bad.

It more or less followed the reasoning of older and wiser traditions from Sumer and Egypt.

The Book of the Dead has an almost identical set of commandments and a lot better way of thinking of life after death.

Regards
    DL  
    AlofRI
  • I think that there is definitely some benefit to supernatural thinking if ti results in some desirable behavior that is advantageous.

For example, if you believe that eating raw or recently killed meat will anger the animal's spirit, then that leads you to cook the meat first preventing disease and parasites then that is a useful superstition. However this thinking doesn't replace the true knowledge that sickness isn't caused by spirits but by microorganism, then holding on to that superstition starts to be a burden because it prevents you from achieving further understanding.

Indeed. I see you showing the difference between holding a belief as a child, for protection, and then allowing your mind to grow up away from it.

This link speaks to that to a point.

Regards
    DL
  • Lover, hunter, friend and enemy
    You will always be every one of these
    Nothing's fair in love and war.