Is The Current Generational War Against Boomers Unjustified? | Politically Sober Podcast - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com. The only online debate website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the leading online debate website. Debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything! Debate online for free! DebateIsland is utilizing Artifical Intelligence to transform online debating.

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Is The Current Generational War Against Boomers Unjustified? | Politically Sober Podcast
in Politics

By aarongaarong 156 Pts edited May 14
Is The Current Generational War Against Boomers Unjustified?

Sponsor: Politically Sober Podcast. 

Sick of Toxic Politics?  Interested in learning about the future generation's views on politics?

If you're a young adult/student, are you interested in what your peers think? If you're alot older, interested in what the young thinks? 

Well this is the podcast for you! Politically Sober is hosted by Hashim ridha and he talks to different students with a diverse range of opinions, all in a friendly and easy going environment
Check it out using the link below!

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/photo/mature-couple-cycling-on-the-beach-at-sunset-or-royalty-free-image/959016450
ale5joecavalryBonitaVanhooserpiloteer
DebateIsland.com Founder/Administrator | Contact Me Via Private Messaging (aarong), Contact Support At customerservice@debateisland.com | Happy Debating! 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
56%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• ale5ale5 263 Pts
    I believe that the current generational war against boomers is not justified. Although many boomers are competing for jobs with younger generations, this is no different in millennials or other generations fighting for jobs amongst themselves. Therefore, Boomers shouldn’t be discriminated against, as the job market is full of many generations of people who compete for jobs.
    joecavalryPoliticallySoberaarongnorthsouthkorea
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 425 Pts
    I think that Boomers shouldn’t be discriminated against, especially in the workforce. Many younger generations are using terms like “ok, boomer,” but this is essentially the equivalent of dismissing a millennial as inexperienced. Age discrimination shouldn’t be occurring, as everyone has interesting views to share, despite their age.
    PoliticallySoberaarongnorthsouthkorea
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • edited May 8
    I think that the problem with many boomers is that they are quite antagonistic towards the young and are not considerate enough about climate change and other issues that we will all face in the future.  Though, I'd have to agree that the current intensity of the generational war is too extreme. Boomers are becoming alienated and even dehumanized in some cases. Take for example the "boomer remover" meme that has emerged recently with the covid19 pandemic. I think alienating boomers will work against the goals of the younger generation as boomers themselves are heading institutions and companies. Antagonizing them feels psychologically satisfying. But, in reality, it makes boomers less willing to adopt the policies that the young are pushing for. All in all, though the generational war is understandable, however; the extremism we see today towards boomers is unjustified and counterproductive. 

Make sure you guys check out the podcast!!
    https://linktr.ee/Politicallysober
    aarongnorthsouthkoreapiloteer
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts
    @PoliticallySober, there is clearly a trend about differences in generations.   Not nearly all boomers represent climate change agonistic views - that’s more of a republican vs democrats split.  The climate change is a whole separate debate.
    I am not a boomer by any means, but when it comes to workforce, there is wide spread age discrimination in US with millennials and younger generations having a clear advantage.  The depth of experience from older generation isn’t appreciated (sometime it’s real and sometimes it’s not).  
    aarongnorthsouthkorea
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • It’s not really a war to be quite honest, and the fact that this exists just feeds the meme. It’s not that we “hate” boomers, it’s just that we feel that boomers not only misunderstand us, but also ignore us when we try to explain ourselves. It doesn’t help that this generation is old enough to have had a majority of their parents burn racial and sexual discrimination into their minds. 
    aarongnorthsouthkoreaPlaffelvohfen
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • WinstonCWinstonC 163 Pts
    Criticism of boomers as a class is technically hate speech in countries with hate speech laws because age is a protected group.
    aarongnorthsouthkoreapiloteer
  • AlofRIAlofRI 631 Pts
    As far as "boomers" fighting for the same jobs as current generations, I think you will find the boomers have MANY skills not available in the workers of today. Those skills were exported to China, etc.. There should be little problem there. In like manner, the recent generations have technical skills many boomers do NOT have.

I'm actually a PRE-boomer. I have (maybe HAD), the skills to build an automotive battery by hand, machine a piece of metal to precise dimensions, weld, build a house (3), take apart and repair/rebuild any machine tool I could operate, overhaul the engine or transmission of my car, wire my house, plumb my house, draw plans FOR that house, (without a computer), and use a Slide Rule ... among other things like erect $multi-million machinery in 47 states and 15 countries. Then, there are things recent generations can do that I can only marvel at. 

So, Don't "war" with the boomers. You should wish there were more of them left, and the skills THEY have/had were/are not lost. We should learn from each other, not argue.
    aarongnorthsouthkoreaPoliticallySober
  • @AlofRI I agree with you that boomers have many important skills and that we need them, possibly even more of them. But the biggest problem is that a lot of boomers are out of touch with the young, which is really fueling this generational war in my opinion. I don't think there is any doubt of the economic value and skills that boomers have. But boomers at times dismiss (not all of them do, but a large portion do) the problems of the young such as climate change, financial problems and more. This action makes a lot of the young defensive and thus despite society's need for boomers' skills, the young become very antagonistic towards boomers. Also I think a lot of the young are in a way envious of the high concentration of wealth that boomers have.
    aarongAlofRInorthsouthkorea
  • AlofRIAlofRI 631 Pts
    @AlofRI I agree with you that boomers have many important skills and that we need them, possibly even more of them. But the biggest problem is that a lot of boomers are out of touch with the young, which is really fueling this generational war in my opinion. I don't think there is any doubt of the economic value and skills that boomers have. But boomers at times dismiss (not all of them do, but a large portion do) the problems of the young such as climate change, financial problems and more. This action makes a lot of the young defensive and thus despite society's need for boomers' skills, the young become very antagonistic towards boomers. Also I think a lot of the young are in a way envious of the high concentration of wealth that boomers have.
    I think the problem is no more than the boomers are "out of touch with the young" than the young are out of touch with the boomers. Climate change?? I think all but a very few "boomers" realize more about climate change than anyone else, after all, WE cleaned up the water, WE cleaned up the air, WE reduced the smog that USED TO cover LA, WE added regulation after regulation for waste disposal, WE turned the Great Lakes from a sewer to considerably cleaner water, WE started the move from coal to nuclear energy (the best we had at the time) and cleaner emissions from vehicles .... on and on. It's only under the newer generations that much of this is being undone, and, I'm NOT blaming the new generations per se, I'm saying too many ALLOWED a regime to be elected that IS DOING IT. The college-age millennials and ... whatever they call the newbies .... damn well better get out to vote, this time .... en-mass!

The young have ALLWAYS been "antagonistic". WE were antagonistic. Today, the young are going to have to take a very close look at what is happening around them! They have to make up THEIR minds as to whether they want to live under a Nationalist dictatorship, Liberalistic. state by state chaos, or the democracy that "made America Great" to begin with. It's MOSTLY up to you now. We boomers are getting tired. 

I want to remind you, considering the wildness of the "briefing" we had to endure yesterday, 5/11/20. Someone wise said recently: 
    "Only in the crazy bubble of Right-Wing hysteria does an ethically challenged, moderate Democrat become a threat to western civilization, and Trump the salvation of America."  If you're worried about climate change, health care, pollution, more financial equality and world relations in general, The young better take a REALLY antagonistic stance against .... not the boomers, ... you have far greater problems than WE have ever given you.

aarongnorthsouthkoreaPoliticallySober
  • Listened to the podcast just now. Very interesting.
    PoliticallySober
  • @northsouthkorea Thank you!
    aarong
  • Strongly condemn all kinds of discrimination against boomers. I think these are people who made our today and now, we unskilled and useless people are talking about them. Jobs shouldn't have any connection with age. Even I noticed that boomers work hard and better than a lot of our youngsters. 
    aarong
  • piloteerpiloteer 738 Pts
    @PoliticallySober

I'm not sure how old you are, but do you possibly have some perspective on whether the current generation gap is somehow more extreme than it was in the 60s? The boomers now were teenagers and young adults then, and it seems some of them were antagonistic toward the G.I. generation (also known as the greatest generation). I think your thoughts on any juxtaposition between that generation gap and the current one may add some perspective to this discussion. Do you believe the boomer generation is more prone to embrace ideals they rejected in the 60s? Do you think the boomers have always had an antagonistic streak to them? Do you think boomers are perhaps regretful for some of their revolutionary activism in the 60s, or do you think they consider their current attitudes to be an extension of what they were trying to do in the 60s? 
    aarongPoliticallySober
  • @piloteer I think that it is quite hard to gauge how extreme the generation gap is today because of the advent of the internet. The internet allowed for quick activism and echo chambers, all of which may satisfy that want to vent negatively about the boomer generation. The generational gap in the 60s can be seen tangibly with the various protests and various vocal individuals. Despite this, I feel like the generational gap in the 60s is more extreme because it was much more of a divide based on values. Today's divide I think is a lot more based on technology and policy, as well as wealth disparity. I feel as if there isn't a fundamental difference in values, though I have to admit I am quite ignorant the value differences between the two generations. And ya I do think boomers are more likely to embrace the ideals that they rejected in the past because of the fact that they have grown up and the system has molded their thinking.  Despite this, I think some boomers are not regretful of their revolutionary activism in the 60s because they have insight into the thought process and reasons for the way they acted, thus becoming empathetic to how they acted. But today, lots of boomers would see current activism as possibly unfavorable in their eyes as they may lack the perspective of the current generation. 
    aarongpiloteer