frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Blood Types and Coronavirus

Debate Information

Well, this is kind of a such for information as well as a discussion. So, last night as I went to bed I read through some news to see if there was any good news and then the first thing that I come across in the headlines is that those with Blood Type A may be more susceptible to getting the virus as well needing treatment in hospitals according to pre-print studies. Now, I had already heard about another study that was done in China which showed a connection between blood types and coronavirus at the beginning of this outbreak. And I remember asking my Doctor about this study (which was a preliminary study by the way) and she told me not to worry too much because almost half of the country I'm in which is the UK is blood group A anyway while blood group O is marginally more common.

Anyway, Like I said, I recently came across more preliminary studies (yet to be peer-reviewed) highlighted in some media articles. These studies involve countries such as Italy, Spain, Germany, Norway, USA, and Russia. Since reading this I have also been struggling to come across any reliable information by medical expert opinions on this so far. A lot of stuff I've come up with is garbage like eathis.com or eureka.com.

Moreover, according to some of these studies, those with blood group A may have a 50% higher risk of contracting the disease. While those with blood group O may have a 50 % low risk. Also, some theories and observations regarding why people with blood group A may have worse cases of the virus as well as my own thoughts include:
  • Cytokine Storms
  • Excessive Coagulation
  • It was six percent of the blood group A that become more ill
  • It's not clear whether the genetic markers for this blood type made people more susceptible or actual blood type itself
  • Almost all the patients in Russia are blood group A although their condition is pretty much stable right now.
  • Several of the other comorbidities associated with Covid-19 as a higher risk is also associated with have blood group A
  • While blood group A is the second most common blood group it could be that more blood group A people were more exposed (my own thought)
  • This could just be a correlation and there is no causal factor here (my own thought)
  • Either the study or the media said that this could explain why some young people who others otherwise well are becoming serious ill with the disease. However, it still is a rare occurrence and so can we really conclude that blood groups are playing a role in young and healthy people getting worse cases (a question of mine)?
  • What do we know about the people with blood group A that had the disease but only had mild cases or were asymptomatic? Did the studies only involve people that were in the hospital and not involve anyone of any blood group outside of the hospital? Is this perhaps coincidental?  (Some more queries of mine)
  • If it is the blood group that is responsible then why? Is this because some people with this blood group are more likely to have cytokine storms or excessive coagulation that result in blood clotting as a result of being infected? Is excessive coagulation also a result of an over-reacting immune response? If this is the case then would that mean people with this blood group to be more susceptible to other infections such as Influenza? (More questions of mine)
  • Does this also explain why some people may get Anaphylaxis which I think is something to do with Cytokine Storms as well? Furthermore, does this also mean that those of us that are already on Anti-coagulants for the prevention of DVTs at reduced risk of having a bad case of Covid-19? (More questions of mine)

Links to the studies and headlines:

So, what are your thoughts on this?
DebateChamp

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments