reCaptcha vs IP blocking To Stop Spam Signup? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

DebateIsland Referral Program: Get a Free Month of DebateIsland Diamond Premium Membership ($4.99 Value) Per Each New User That You Refer!

reCaptcha vs IP blocking To Stop Spam Signup?

Debate Information

Greetings!

Spam signups either they are done via humans or bots creating many issues for business, forums and webmasters. With my web developer friends, I recently made a small blog which also has signup and contact us option, but I am amazed we are getting tons of spam or marketing emails each day. Such things are not only wasting our time but also making us sick. When we searched online, then we find several tips to stop spam signups like this article https://www.business2community.com/online-marketing/stop-spam-signups-dead-tracks-01146555. It is suggesting about the asking phone verifications, custom questions and reCaptcha. However, in our opinion, the use of phone verification etc. would decrease our potential visits. That's why I am thinking about reCaptcha. Do you think we should use reCaptcha v2 or v3?

On the other hand, my friends are also suggesting a simple solution for blocking the spammed IPs. Yes, we found this video very helpful in this regard. According to my friends, it wouldn't only safeguard us from spam but also wouldn't affect our traffic. Do you think we picked the right strategy? What about if people use VPN and starting signups again? All in all, we are confused and also not willing to lose our traffic. Please share your views or suggestions if you have experience in this field.

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• DebateChampDebateChamp 139 Pts   -  

reCAPTCHA is a provider of human verification systems, owned by Google.

The original iteration of the service was a mass collaboration platform designed for the digitization of books, particularly those that were too illegible to be scanned by computers. The verification prompts utilized pairs of words from scanned pages, with one known word used as a control for verification, and the second used to crowdsource the reading of an uncertain word. reCAPTCHA was originally developed by Luis von Ahn, David Abraham, Manuel Blum, Michael Crawford, Ben Maurer, Colin McMillen, and Edison Tan at Carnegie Mellon University's main Pittsburgh campus. It was acquired by Google in September 2009. The system helped to digitize the archives of The New York Times, and was subsequently used by Google Books for similar purposes.

The system was reported as displaying over 100 million CAPTCHAs every day, on sites such as Facebook,TicketMasterTwitter4chanCNN.comStumbleUponCraigslist (since June 2008), and the U.S. National Telecommunications and Information Administration's digital TV converter box coupon program website (as part of theUS DTV transition).

In 2014, Google pivoted the service away from its original concept, with a focus on reducing the amount of user interaction needed to verify a user, and only presenting human recognition challenges (such as identifying images in a set that satisfy a specific prompt) if behavioral analysis suspects that the user may be a bot. reCAPTCHA v1 was declared end-of-life on March 31, 2018.

Meanwhile

IP address blocking is a configuration of a network service so that requests from hosts with certain IP addresses are rejected.

Unix-like operating systems commonly implement IP address blocking using a TCP wrapper, configured by host access control files /etc/hosts.deny and/etc/hosts.allow.

IP address blocking is commonly used to protect against brute force attacks. Both companies and schools offering remote user access use Linux programs such asDenyHosts or Fail2ban for protection from unauthorised access while allowing permitted remote access. This is also useful for allowing remote access to computers. It is also used for Internet censorship.

On a website, an IP address block can prevent a disruptive address from access, though a warning and/or account block may be used first. Dynamic allocation of IP addresses by ISPs can complicate incoming IP address blocking, rendering it difficult to block a specific user without blocking many IP addresses (blocks of IP address ranges), thereby creating collateral damage.

IP address blocking can be used to restrict access to or from a particular geographic area—for example, the syndication of content to a specific region, otherwise known as geo-blocking. To achieve this, IP addresses are mapped to the countries they have been assigned to.

• DebateChampDebateChamp 139 Pts   -  
    to my opinion I will suggest that it is better to use recaptcha as it is trusted by most people
  • ScienceRulesScienceRules 931 Pts   -  
    I'll say reCaptcha. Though I know how to deceive this but reCaptcha is more popular and also contains a better coding system.
    Your love became a chorus played only by my memory.
  • RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    WARNING: My following argument is not an opinion or argument/debate.
    I sometimes get CAPTCHA's wrong. The only one I get right 100% of the time are ones based on chess.
    xlJ_dolphin_473
  • RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    I will say CAPTCHAs though, because they filter out robots.