Why do all religions contain materialistic features that prove that is man made? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything! Debate online for free! DebateIsland is a leading online debate website and is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Why do all religions contain materialistic features that prove that is man made?
in Religion

By jimmy3954jimmy3954 3 Pts
For example, some religions discuss the concept of hell in the afterlife. The afterlife is supposed to be not materialistic, so how does the soul burn, does the soul sense heat? Doesn't that seem like simple man made logic?
Plaffelvohfen

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Arguments

• John_C_87John_C_87 393 Pts
    jimmy3954 said:
    For example, some religions discuss the concept of hell in the afterlife. The afterlife is supposed to be not materialistic, so how does the soul burn, does the soul sense heat? Doesn't that seem like simple man made logic?
    They don't you hypothosys is based a prenmis you have knowledge and expires to all religions that have ever been in existence. Worshp of the Sun, moon, and fire are all things that are not man made or exclusively man made in the instance of fire.
  • AlofRIAlofRI 829 Pts
    Religions are man-made. Thomas Edison said: "All Bibles are man-made." Everything about ANY religion is man-made so the features, materialistic OR fantasy are going to BE man-made. Even MAN, being made "in God's image", is there because a man-like God is FAR more believable than a "flying spaghetti monster". Man has to"create" something that man can relate to to be believable, so, man created (made), religions. Those religions that are (were) based on "imagined creatures" do not have a  large following ... or shelf life. IMO.
    Plaffelvohfenliberalwithmorals
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 3408 Pts
    When the modern mainstream religions were being actively developed, humans had very poor understanding of most physical processes. It is now that we know that, for example, flame is merely a consequence of a reaction between certain gases and flammable materials under certain conditions. Back then flame was something mystical and misunderstood, nearly always attributed to "higher powers" beyond human comprehension.

If fire is produced by god, then it makes sense that in the afterlife fire will be abundant, does it not?

Now, one might wonder why anyone would follow those ancient ideologies, when science knows well that many processes attributed to divine powers in them, actually, are regular physical processes encountered all over the Universe. For that, you will have to ask religious people; it is a mystery to me as well.
    liberalwithmorals
  • K_MichaelK_Michael 109 Pts
    I'm not sure where your idea that most/all religions teach that you have no body in the afterlife comes from. Norse, Greek, and Egyptian myth, just to name some high profile examples, all contain stories of living people entering the afterlife and/or performing tasks that require bodies. I can't recall Christianity teaching that you lose your body when you go to hell or heaven. In fact, there's evidence otherwise. Man was said to be created in God's image, ergo God has a physical form. Jesus was resurrected with a physical body, not just a spirit. The city of Enoch transcended to heaven, suggesting that buildings are used in heaven. I believe there's a couple of spots in Elijah where Seraphims have physical bodies described. When Satan tempts Jesus on the mount it is said that the angels could catch him (Jesus) if he threw himself down the mountain.
    "We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." 
    AlofRI said:
    Even MAN, being made "in God's image", is there because a man-like God is FAR more believable than a "flying spaghetti monster". Man has to"create" something that man can relate to to be believable, so, man created (made), religions. Those religions that are (were) based on "imagined creatures" do not have a  large following ... or shelf life. IMO.
    I don't think that religions develop human-like gods in order to be more convincing, but rather because it's your brain's first conclusion. Thunder being caused by this really powerful grumpy dude is intuitive because the human brain is designed and trained to model human behavior like grumpy dudes, not the rapid expansion of superheated air following an electrical charge being released from the generated static electricity in suspended tiny water droplets. Humans are our go-to answer. Even religions with non-human or part human gods/spirits almost always apply a basic human psychology.
    AlofRIliberalwithmorals
    K_Michael said:
    I'm not sure where your idea that most/all religions teach that you have no body in the afterlife comes from. Norse, Greek, and Egyptian myth, just to name some high profile examples, all contain stories of living people entering the afterlife and/or performing tasks that require bodies. I can't recall Christianity teaching that you lose your body when you go to hell or heaven. In fact, there's evidence otherwise. Man was said to be created in God's image, ergo God has a physical form. Jesus was resurrected with a physical body, not just a spirit. The city of Enoch transcended to heaven, suggesting that buildings are used in heaven. I believe there's a couple of spots in Elijah where Seraphims have physical bodies described. When Satan tempts Jesus on the mount it is said that the angels could catch him (Jesus) if he threw himself down the mountain.

An image does not need to be a picture image like selfie, the image may be like a reputation which can proceed the event.

@John_C_87
    Impressive. You made a possible refutation for one of my points. And I see no reason to believe that your version is correct. After all, every depiction of God I've ever seen gave him a human form.
    @K_Michael
    Prejudice was the reason. A price for compliance to understanding is capital punishment. We are to presume GOD Inocent only until proven guilty in Court of law, when sumnond a noshow is an felony crime, this does not limit a religion from being directed as responsible to a constitutional separation of belief based on basic principle shade.
    @K_Michael

What you are not doing in basic principle is representing a free religion as you are saying openly the cost imposed as fee on everyone is compliance to your condition as witnessed. My experience is different from yours and we have not been looking in the same direction. You have not right to speak on my behalf as witness.

@John_C_87 ;
    I don't understand how that relates to what I said. I'm not putting God on trial here.
    @John_C_87
    I have not made any statement about putting God on trial or anything similar. I'm literally not sure how you got to the conversation that you're at, because I was talking about the physical nature of the afterlife and NOTHING ELSE. If you want to talk about that, fine, but don't @ me with this other line of discussion unsolicited.
    liberalwithmorals
    jimmy3954 said:
    The exsample literaly describes being sent to hell as a material feature making a trail just human materialistic feature.

You made a possible refutation for one of my points. And I see no reason to believe that your version is correct." After all, every depiction of God I've ever seen gave him a human form." You are acting as judge witness, and jury.
    I have not made any statement about putting God on trial or anything similar.
    I could have misunderstood the phrase and what you meant when saying "After all, every depiction of God I've ever seen gave him a human form." Let's test your ability to be a reliable to display widum and credablilaty as a witness, I am going to write the number 89 and you pick it out.
    (a.)GOD
    (b.) Eighty-nine.
    (c.) Quatre-vingt-neuf
    (d,) Neunundachtzig
    (e.)Восемьдесят девять
    (f.)八十九。
    (g.) 89
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @jimmy3954

Not having the ability to comprehend spiritual truths is not proof those truths are not true.