Did Yahweh do us a favor by denying us eternal life? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything! Debate online for free! DebateIsland is a leading online debate website and is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Did Yahweh do us a favor by denying us eternal life?
in Religion

Did Yahweh do us a favor by denying us eternal life?

It seems that the older I get, the less enjoyable and desirable the thought of living eternally becomes, even though I am quite pleased with how my life has evolved and how I will end this life.

Be it with a body here on earth, or as a spirit in some heaven, I cannot imagine anyone living eternally and enjoying it.

It would be like living watching the same T V program running over and over and over, since there is nothing new under the sun. All would be seen as allegories and or analogous of other situations.

Thoughts?

Regards

DL

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• The idea of an eternal conscious existence is to me, a very appalling idea...  Someone hoping for eternal conscious existence, doesn't grasp the concept of eternity...

I don't see any point commenting on the fictional dude though...
    John_C_87AlofRIGnosticChristian
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • There is an ongoing debate within futurist circles with regards to the development of radical life extension technology, about if ending natural death is something we should do. Many, (including myself) see this as a worthwhile discussion topic because technical trends in the field suggest that we will cure aging before the end of the century.

I think that this debate can be resolved quite easily, simply by understanding that it is the loss of agency and lack of choice that is ultimately the problem. Not having the option to chose when one gets to live or die is the issue, immortality without the option of death is no better than guaranteed death without option for immortality.
    PlaffelvohfenGnosticChristian
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • DeeDee 2362 Pts
    The idea of eternal life to me is the stuff of nightmares and I think after a couple of centuries of such one would glady wish for death and final release from it 

Worse is the notion of having to spend kissing a god daily and listening his followers bleating on about his great ‘ gift’ to mankind as in eternal life 
    PlaffelvohfenGnosticChristian
  • DeeDee 2362 Pts
    The idea of eternal life to me is the stuff of nightmares and I think after a couple of centuries of such one would glady wish for death and final release from it 

Worse is the notion of having to spend my time sucking up to a god daily and listening his followers bleating on about his great ‘ gift’ to mankind as in eternal life 
    GnosticChristian
  • SandSand 213 Pts
    Interesting

So if science came out with a pill that you take one time which would prevent death by natural causes, you telling me you would not take that pill?
    GnosticChristian
  • Sand said:
    Interesting

So if science came out with a pill that you take one time which would prevent death by natural causes, you telling me you would not take that pill?
    No. I likely would.

It would allow me to end life when I chose and not have to live an eternal and miserable existence wishing I was dead.

Regards
    DL
    Happy_Killbot
  • SandSand 213 Pts
    Therein lies the problem.
    Although endless life by some characteristics is not enjoyable, not desirable, or even appalling.
    I am pretty sure that each of us would take a pill that would prevent death by natural causes.

Even though being alive has the freedom to end your life, death does not have the freedom to reconstitute life.

But think about if a person ended their life before the car was invented. Some of the revolutionary inventions actually challenge that statement "nothing new under the sun".
    The Light bulb, transistors, generators, refrigerator, Internet, cellphone, 3D printing, just to name a few.
    I mean man is looking to colonize Mars, for crying out loud.

In the broad sense of the illustration, you could say it is like a rerun. It is more likely a progressive story.
    What would be "I've seen everything moment?"
    There is an endless array of books that could be read.
    Books could be turned into movies, games, music, art, the experiences are infinite.

If the quality of life was difficult, with pain and disabilities, maybe the decision would be different.
    But if you could have your health, that would be a major factor.
    The real point I am trying to make is, "there is no good day to die".

As long as man has the ability to create and explore, there are endless opportunities and unfathomable possibilities.

I cannot speak for everybody, because there are so many views on life.

But to draw it down to a pill.
    The persons who truly do not want everlasting life would not take it.
    I understand, they say I just want to live a little bit longer, then a little bit longer, then a little bit longer, then a little bit longer, then a little bit longer........., and so on and so on.

Life is precious.
    GnosticChristian
  • Sand said:

a little bit longer........., and so on and so on.

Life is precious.
    Have you ever visited an old age home or nursing care establishment?

Sure the old do not have young bodies but I have heard more than one old person, in the morning, curse because they did not die in their sleep.

The suicide rate for our young is also peeking.

Life is precious to those who value it and a curse to those who do not.

Regards
    DL 
  • SandSand 213 Pts

I use to work at a nursing home.
    As I mentioned, if the quality of life was difficult, with pain and disabilities, maybe the decision would be different.

The suicide rate for our young is peeking because they have more access to liquor and drugs.
    They lack a sense of purpose or connection to the community. They also have less training in dealing with anxiety and stress.
    These are the things religious entities would provide and shield but it was seen as not needed.
    So young people think by increasing the amount of liquor and drugs will reduce the anxiety or make them feel better.

So if they die from an overdose, autopsies have no choice but to characterize their deaths as suicide.
    If they lose purpose, it is like losing your direction in the sea.
    Everywhere they look is an endless journey.
    Even if you dissect the Bible's information it would be better than throwing it all away.

To me, it is like a generation of young people who reject every healthy program, of exercise and eating regimens.
    Then they wonder why they're unhealthy, claiming nothing works.
    So the same with the young people rejecting religious solutions, of purpose and anxiety solutions.
    GnosticChristian
  • Sand

Unlike you, I do not blame children for the environment that is provided by their parents.

Regards
    DL

• SandSand 213 Pts

How do I blame children for the environment?
  • Sand said:

How do I blame children for the environment?

Environment is not eco system. I meant the environment within their community.

As to blame.

"The suicide rate for our young is peeking because they have more access to liquor and drugs.
    They lack a sense of purpose or connection to the community. They also have less training in dealing with anxiety and stress.
    These are the things religious entities would provide and shield but it was seen as not needed.
    So young people think by increasing the amount of liquor and drugs will reduce the anxiety or make them feel better."

I see nothing there about the home or community life providing any negativity that would add to the stress.

I don't know how you grew up or why you drank buddy, but stress relief was the last think on my mind when young and drinking or using other drugs.

Regards
    DL
  • SandSand 213 Pts

You need to do a little more research. I am not blaming children because this is their perspective.
    They may be very involved in the community but lack a sense of connection to the community.
    "suicides can result if individuals do not feel a sense of belonging, or lack a feeling of connectedness to others."

That is a quote from the center of suicide prevention.

Whenever I state something I usually have a study backing my statements. It is not always from my personal experiences.
  • Sand

All good points, but what you show is more in the adults hands than the children's.

Nowhere have you included adults into the mix.

You are putting it all on the backs of children, when adults are more to blame.

Regards
    DL
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @GnosticChristian

There are tens of millions of people around the world who live miserable lives with no hope of relief.  This is especially true in nations under cruel atheistic despots where life of the powerless is made cheap, insignificant and horrid.  God has promised to give relief to the oppressed if they humble themselves before Him and seek His favor.  I am thankful to God for that mercy.
    GnosticChristian
  • edited July 28
    marke said:
    @GnosticChristian

There are tens of millions of people around the world who live miserable lives with no hope of relief.  This is especially true in nations under cruel atheistic despots where life of the powerless is made cheap, insignificant and horrid.  God has promised to give relief to the oppressed if they humble themselves before Him and seek His favor.  I am thankful to God for that mercy.
    Well, I guess that you being a believer and all, you should do as your bible says you can do, which is all that Jesus did and more.

While doing your miracles, please take the time to tell us why your god is creating all those atheist despots.

Regards
    DL

P.S.
    Care to comment on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdtwTeBPYQA