frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is there a God?

Debate Information

Position: For
Below is an opening statement that I have used on another debating site:

Is there a god(s) or not? The answer to this question sets the scene for reality. It gives man a basis in which to make sense of the world. Therefore it is, Arguably, The most important question to ask--when thinking about reality. This question is in the realm of philosophy and therefore this debate will consist of philosophical arguments that are for and against the existence of a god(s).

I believe that there is a God and therefore, Whoever I debate will be against the existence of a God.

First off, In this specific debate, I define God as the creator of the universe. While that is vague, This debate will show that God is a personal being (a being that is cable of reason and free choices).

For this debate, I will keep it simple and go for an easy argument that shows that there must be a God. This argument was made famous by William Lane Craig. It is called: The Kalam Cosmological Argument. It must be noted that while this argument points to a singular God, It does not drive that idea home. So, This debate will merely show that there is a god(s) or not (I'll have following debates that will, Together, Lead to the Christian God).

Here it is in its basic form:
1. Whatever begins to exist has a cause.
2. The universe began to exist.
3. Therefore, The universe has a cause.

This is a logical syllogism; meaning, If the first two premises are true, Then the conclusion logically follows. Before I rush into defending the first two premises and why the conclusion confirms that there is a God(s), I will let my fellow debater state his/her position and then provide defeaters to the basic form of this argument.

Debra AI Prediction

Tie
Predicted
50%
Likely
50%
Unlikely

Details +

Debate Type: Traditional Debate

Voting Format: Moderate Voting

Opponent: Happy_Killbot

Rounds: 3