Why Do Christians Cherry-Pick The Bible? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything! Debate online for free! DebateIsland is a leading online debate website and is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Why Do Christians Cherry-Pick The Bible?
in Religion

By SwolliwSwolliw 165 Pts
Oh yes, they do.

For example, we just need to read the book of Leviticus and take a look at the must-dos and don'ts for wholesome Christian living.
Men are told not to cut their facial hair or hair on the sides of their noggins.
Christians are told not to wear clothes of mixed fabrics, nor harvest the edge of crops.
Yet how many clean-cut Christians do we see walking down the road wearing polyester/cotton mix clothes and not giving a stuff about where the wheat in their bagel came from?

But lo and behold, we come to the section in Leviticus where it is an abomination for a man to "lie" with another man.
Every Christian denomination makes no bones about that "disgusting, unnatural practice", don't they? And they make sure that the rule is enforced and well publicised.

So, why do Christians hypocritically cherry-pick that one rule in particular?
Plaffelvohfen

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• markemarke 334 Pts
    @Swolliw

God's laws against lying and murder, for example, don't change.  God's disapproval of divorce in the OT are clarified in the NT, not changed.  Sodomy was wrong in the OT and unnatural affection is wrong in the NT, as is fornication.  Ceremonial laws, such as sacrifices, the wearing of holy garments, ceremonial washings and so forth are no longer applicable to NT Christians.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • SwolliwSwolliw 165 Pts
    @marke

"Ceremonial laws, such as sacrifices, the wearing of holy garments, ceremonial washings and so forth are no longer applicable to NT Christians."

And your point being?

The point of the thread was to stimulate discussion on the topic of Christian homophobia.

Do you care to comment?
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Swolliw

Christians who believe what God says about sodomy are unfairly misunderstood, misrepresented and ridiculed by those who don't know or understand God.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • DeeDee 2362 Pts
    @marke

Christians who believe what God says about sodomy are unfairly misunderstood

Why? What does the Bible say about such? Do you want me to remind you?
  • SwolliwSwolliw 165 Pts
    @marke
    "Christians who believe what God says about sodomy are unfairly misunderstood, misrepresented and ridiculed by those who don't know or understand God."

Knowing or understanding God has nothing to do with the fact:
    Anyone who vilifies homosexuals is bigoted, ignorant and arrogant.
    Hiding behind scriptures to justify one's bigotry is no excuse and Christians (and Muslims for that matter) quite rightly always have been and always will be ridiculed and persecuted for their disgusting anti-social attitudes.
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Dee

God does not approve of unnatural affection.  Romans 1:26-32.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 

29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 

30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 

31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32 Who knowing tthe judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Swolliw

I don't believe honoring God and believing the Bible is a bad thing.  I think anyone disrespecting a Christian for believing God is a bigot.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • DeeDee 2362 Pts
    @marke

God does not approve of unnatural affection.  Romans 1:26-32.

That’s to put it mildly , do you agree with your god that homosexuals should be put to death ?

Leviticus 20:13, states in no uncertain terms that homosexuals should be killed:

“If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.”

• SandSand 213 Pts

It is because Jesus Christ ended the Mosaic Law.
    It is no longer required to follow Leviticus.
    Romans 10:4 - "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes."
    So we are no longer under the Mosaic Law now we fall under the Law of the Christ.
    Which is called the "Law of Love".
    These are some of the laws that were transferred over.
    1 Corinthians 6:9,10 -  "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

If you notice, homosexuality is placed on the same level as sexually immoral, idolaters, and adulterers.

Plaffelvohfen
  • DeeDee 2362 Pts
    edited July 29
    @Sand

It is because Jesus Christ ended the Mosaic Law.

Thats simply not true , the opposite as usual is the truth ......

“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” — Matthew 5:18-19
    “It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid.” (Luke 16:17)
    “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.” (Matthew 5:17)
    “Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law” (John7:19)
  • SandSand 213 Pts

Jesus said those things because he was under the Mosaic Law. So he encouraged adherence to the Mosaic law to fulfill the Mosaic Law.

Matthew 5:17-19
    “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. “For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. “Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”

Luke 17:16,17
    “The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John; since that time the gospel of the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it. “But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one stroke of a letter of the Law to fail.

John 17:19
    “Did not Moses give you the Law, and yet none of you carries out the Law? Why do you seek to kill Me?”

Jesus accomplished the law.

John 19:28
    "After this, Jesus, knowing that all things had already been accomplished, to fulfill the Scripture, said, "I am thirsty."

Paul showed how the law was obsolete.

Hebrews 8:13
    "When He said, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear."

• DeeDee 2362 Pts
    @Sand

Nonsense.....

“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” — Matthew 5:18-19
    “It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid.” (Luke 16:17)
    “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.” (Matthew 5:17)
    “Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law” (John7:19)
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Dee

America is not a Jewish theocracy and modern Christians are not Jews and are not to mistake OT laws for NT commandments.
  • DeeDee 2362 Pts
    @marke

America is not a Jewish theocracy and modern Christians are not Jews and are not to mistake OT laws for NT commandments.

Gibberish ......

“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” — Matthew 5:18-19
  • SandSand 213 Pts

I'm sorry it says it too many times in the scriptures, we are no longer under the Mosaic Law.

Galatians 3:24, 25 - "Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor."

Romans 10:4 - "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes."

Matthew 5:17-19
    “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. “For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. “Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”
  • DeeDee 2362 Pts
    @Sand

“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” — Matthew 5:18-19
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Dee

Galatians 5:4

“Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.”

• DeeDee 2362 Pts
    @marke

• DeeDee 2362 Pts
    edited July 29
    @marke

Marke giving a Marvelous example of how he cherry picks the Bible to dispute the Bible , thus totally ignoring the below ......

“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” — Mat
  • SwolliwSwolliw 165 Pts
    @Sand
    "It is because Jesus Christ ended the Mosaic Law.
    It is no longer required to follow Leviticus."

Yet Churches conveniently cherry-pick the law relating to homosexuality to abide by and vilify others, don't they?